Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Brick vs. Wood homes?
    • 9th Jan 12, 7:14 AM
    Brick vs. Wood homes? 9th Jan 12 at 7:14 AM
    My partner and I are just about to purchase our very first home. We have began looking at houses, and the area we are wanting to buy in is a very leafy, 'bushy' kind of area (in the Dandenong Ranges if you're at all familiar with Australia!).

We were originally set on buying a brick home, however there are lots of weatherboard and cedar wood houses in the area for sale which are also considerably cheaper. I am a bit put off by weatherboard/wood houses as I understand that they have poor insulation and are also a lot of maintenance as they need painting often. I am also worried about termite infestation (but that can occur in brick homes as well!)

What are your opinions on brick vs. wood houses in the long run? If we limit ourselves to just brick, we are cutting back so many options as there are a plethora of weatherboard houses on the market in the area! The weatherboard/cedar wood houses are also considerably cheaper. Is there anything we should know about weatherboard houses? Pros cons? Any advice/experience would be greatly appreciated!

(Oops just realised I should've posted this in the House Buying forum, moderators feel free to move it... sorry!)
    Last edited by katycloud; 09-01-2012 at 7:16 AM.
Page 1
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim's to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

194Posts Today

1,280Users online

Martin's Twitter