Direct Debit: Legal & Gen Mi C/L

I have a monthly Direct Debit coming out of my account, for not an insignificant amount, labelled as "Legal & Gen Mi C/L" on my bank statement.

Anyone know what this is? I presume it's something associated with my Nationwide mortgage, but I can find no documentation to give any clue as to what it is.

Thanks in advance for any clues :-)

Comments

• Life insurance.
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,369 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Nationwide are/were tied agents of L&G. They sold L&G life assurance, critical illness and income protection as well as L&G S&S ISAs.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • Fingerbobs
    Fingerbobs Posts: 1,640 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Thanks all. It turned out to be a "Critical Illness" policy, for which I have no documentation and didn't know I was actually paying for. I can only assume everything's been going to my old address.

Pretty sure I don't need this policy as I also have an Income Protection policy which would more than cover my mortgage repayments. I feel a refund coming on.
  • dunstonh
    I feel a refund coming on.

I dont
    Pretty sure I don't need this policy as I also have an Income Protection policy which would more than cover my mortgage repayments.

CI doesnt overlap in any way with income protection (whether PPI or PHI versions).
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • Fingerbobs
    Fingerbobs Posts: 1,640 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    dunstonh wrote: »
    CI doesnt overlap in any way with income protection (whether PPI or PHI versions).

Contracting a critical illness and being unable to work is just one way of losing your income. Income Protection covers that, and other eventualities. Critical Illness cover may pay out a lump sum to clear the mortgage in one hit, but do I need that *and* the Income Protection? No. One or the other has to go, and I prefer the idea of Income Protection.
  • opinions4u
    opinions4u Posts: 19,411 Forumite
    Many CI policies have life assurance included in the cover. Before you ditch it make absolutely sure it is the right thing to do.
  • dunstonh
    Fingerbobs wrote: »
    Contracting a critical illness and being unable to work is just one way of losing your income. Income Protection covers that, and other eventualities. Critical Illness cover may pay out a lump sum to clear the mortgage in one hit, but do I need that *and* the Income Protection? No. One or the other has to go, and I prefer the idea of Income Protection.

Generically, you normally prioritise PHI over CI in the pecking order if the budget is restricted. PPI forms of income protection tend to offer lower levels of cover than PHI.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure