Loan Advice Needed

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 35,242 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Without providing any supporting evidence to back up my claim, I'm convinced that there is an inverse correlation between the amount people spend on a wedding and the length of the marriage.

So not only are we offering excellent financial help, we are also helping people stay married longer. Not a bad service, and all free of charge.
  • Without providing any supporting evidence to back up my claim, I'm convinced that there is an inverse correlation between the amount people spend on a wedding and the length of the marriage.

So not only are we offering excellent financial help, we are also helping people stay married longer. Not a bad service, and all free of charge.

This place gets worse by the day. As if the disproportionate number of Walter Mitty's on £200k salaries who can't get a £3k loan are not bad enough we now have life coaches providing advice on a cheap wedding = marital bliss.

Have a word
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 35,242 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    I also offer DIY advice, if needed.

But nothing electrical.
  • Pixie5740
    Pixie5740 Posts: 14,515 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    MrsH2017 wrote: »
    Sorry for just removing the post, but I reworked some figures as I forgot to include some money that is coming from my parents which means that we no longer need the loan.

Since you no longer require a loan this advice is a bit moot but might help if someone in a similar situation comes across this thread.

The person you spoke to at Nationwide can only guess as to why the application failed. She won't be party to pass/fail/rate criteria that Nationwide use.

As has been said many, many times on this board and boards of this forum, lenders cannot see never mind use the ratings generated by the credit reference agencies so it doesn't matter whether Experian, Equifax, Noddle, Clear Score, etc rate you as good, excellent or poor. They don't lend money, lenders do and they each have their own way of rating you which takes into account your credit history (that's history not score), affordability and past dealings with the lender (which can go back further than the 6 years of data the credit reference agencies hold). So something in at least one of those categories was enough for Nationwide to knock you back, not even offer you a higher rate then the representative rate but flat out reject you.

One loan application on your credit file isn't going to make a huge difference if you're going to try applying for another loan soon after. However, multiple searches start to make lenders think you're desperate and that a number of lenders have already knocked you back. Where you bank is usually a good bet when trying to obtain a loan but since you've already tried there then use the MSE Loan Eligibility Calculator to try and gauge which other lenders you stand a reasonable chance of being accepted by,
  • Without providing any supporting evidence to back up my claim, I'm convinced that there is an inverse correlation between the amount people spend on a wedding and the length of the marriage.

My crude formula would be something like

predicted length of marriage is: 90 years - average age of bride and groom - number of £1000s spent - number of £100s borrowed.

So assuming a 25 year old bride and groom spend £10k on their wedding and borrow £5K.

90 - 25 -10 -50 = 5 years

:rotfl::rotfl:
    The instructions on the box said 'Requires Windows 7 or better'. So I installed LINUX :D:D
  • Pixie5740
    Pixie5740 Posts: 14,515 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    How long do you expect people to live? Your 25 year old newly weds would need to live until they're 115 to celebrate their Granite wedding anniversary. Besides doesn't something like 4 in 10 marriages end in divorce?
  • ryanm8655
    ryanm8655 Posts: 1,152 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    That's not true.

This whole forum is about giving advice and offering support on reducing debt, preventing debt, and managing money effectively.

There's nothing unhelpful in telling someone it doesn't sound like they can afford the extravagant spend they're asking about - whatever the occasion might be.

But loans aren't just for people who can't manage money effectively...just because you need a loan to finance something it doesn't mean you can't afford it...

If someone has asked about a loan for a wedding I don't think it's helpful or constructive to say "have a cheaper wedding"...

August 2019: £28.8k

November 2020: £0 (0% interest)

My debt free diary: https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/comment/77330320#Comment_77330320

• Gaz83
    Gaz83 Posts: 4,047 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    ryanm8655 wrote: »
    But loans aren't just for people who can't manage money effectively...just because you need a loan to finance something it doesn't mean you can't afford it...

If someone has asked about a loan for a wedding I don't think it's helpful or constructive to say "have a cheaper wedding"...
    If you read the original post (which is helpfully quoted on this thread) the question posted by the OP is "what would you do?".

To which "have a cheaper wedding" is a perfectly valid response.
    "Facism arrives as your friend. It will restore your honour, make you feel proud, protect your house, give you a job, clean up the neighbourhood, remind you of how great you once were, clear out the venal and the corrupt, remove anything you feel is unlike you... [it] doesn't walk in saying, "our programme means militias, mass imprisonments, transportations, war and persecution."
  • ryanm8655
    ryanm8655 Posts: 1,152 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Gaz83 wrote: »
    If you read the original post (which is helpfully quoted on this thread) the question posted by the OP is "what would you do?".

To which "have a cheaper wedding" is a perfectly valid response.

Valid perhaps but not helpful and certainly doesn't need to be repeated by several different posters without offering anything more sensible/constructive...

Doesn't come across well...

August 2019: £28.8k

November 2020: £0 (0% interest)

My debt free diary: https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/comment/77330320#Comment_77330320

• cajef
    cajef Posts: 6,266 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    ryanm8655 wrote: »
    Doesn't come across well...
    In your opinion, these are open forums and people are entitled to express their views, if you are not happy with them contact the forum team.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure