PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Selling Home + Keeping Part Of Garden?

Comments

• ap1985
    ap1985 Posts: 325 Forumite
    Sounds like a disaster if you asking me...
    :jFinally going to be a homeowner:T
  • G_M
    G_M Posts: 51,977 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    internets wrote: »
    No, it is our main residence.
    Then why would CGT be an issue?
  • csgohan4
    csgohan4 Posts: 10,587 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Not even Tea and Cakes would save you now OP
    "It is prudent when shopping for something important, not to limit yourself to Pound land/Estate Agents"

G_M/ Bowlhead99 RIP
  • mumps
    mumps Posts: 6,285 Forumite
    Home Insurance Hacker!
    It is possible, depending on size of the plot and local planning. I know its possible as someone just round the corner from me has done it. I didn't think they would get planning permission as both houses now have tiny gardens but the new place has been built and one of them sold, I think the stayed in the old one and sold the new one but can't be sure, the gardens are so small I couldn't work out which one was for sale.
    Sell £1500

2831.00/£1500
  • mije1983
    mije1983 Posts: 3,665 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Fo some reason there seems to have been an increase recently in newbies deleting their posts.

So here is the original post, for reference if others come across this thread in the same situation.

internets wrote: »
    Hope this is the right place for this question, i've had a look around and couldn't find much on this particular subject, it would be great if anyone can offer any advice on this.

Basically we own a detached suburban home with a good sized garden. What we'd like to do is sell the house with the majority of the garden, but keep a small even strip running parallel alongside it, literally erecting a fence and just cutting it off, front to back, and creating a new front gate. The garden lends itself to this as the part we want to keep is perfectly rectangular and looks natural in terms of plot conventions, so there's no stepping on or crossing anyone elses land, this also means it won't look weird to potential buyers of the main property.

This is where it might start to sound a bit strange, but Ideally we'd want to be able to live in small 'eco homes' (they'll probably look a lot like small garden sheds) in our newly separated segment. No mains power will be needed, the only thing we'd require is as stated above, a new entrance (a new gate in the hedge) and an actual address for post etc. Eventually we'd either want to sell the plot with planning permission or maybe develop something ourselves on it, but for the foreseeable future all we'd really require is an address, a recognition of it being a separate property in it's own right, council tax payments and bins.... I'm not sure if you'd apply for planning permission to try to obtain that, or if it would be a residential application of some kind, I need to research in depth, but just wanted to see if anyone had any sort of experience with something like this. Thanks
  • Davesnave
    Davesnave Posts: 34,741 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    mije1983 wrote: »
    Fo some reason there seems to have been an increase recently in newbies deleting their posts.

So here is the original post, for reference if others come across this thread in the same situation.

Thank you for that.

Post deletion is futile, but not many would bother to go to cached pages, although I was just about to.......
  • moneyistooshorttomention
    moneyistooshorttomention Posts: 17,940 Forumite
    edited 17 October 2016 at 9:40AM
    mije1983 wrote: »

:naughty::naughty::naughty::naughty::naughty::naughty::naughty::naughty::naughty::naughty::naughty::naughty:

Their post - their right to do so.
  • martindow
    martindow Posts: 10,210 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    :naughty::naughty::naughty::naughty::naughty::naughty::naughty::naughty::naughty::naughty::naughty::naughty:

I think people who have taken the trouble to post replies and try to help the OP also have a right to reinstate the full text so that their comments make sense.
  • Davesnave
    Davesnave Posts: 34,741 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post

This is a public forum, which belongs to everyone, and it's just ignorance that causes people to think they can redact/remove anything they've written on the Internet.

I'm sure if someone had good reason, they could successfully ask for a post or a thread to be deleted. The OP didn't do that.

Even then there would still be a cached copy.

It's very important that those who reply to threads can be sure that their answers are seen in context, so I disagree that their rights are subordinate to those of the OP.
  • I think it's the posters writings (same as their letters/diaries/notes to themselves/etc).

It's a new poster that has posted and it does tend to take a while/maybe seeing it happening to other people for new posters to realise that nastier people they know ITRW might see the post and realise they know the OP. I've certainly seen a young Indian girl posting on the Board some time back about her plans to escape an arranged marriage and read back through her previous posts and realised she would be identifiable to those relatives of hers. I promptly sent her a PM warning her of that fact and suggesting she deleted her thread to prevent her relatives interfering with her plans. She did!.

On the other hand - it might take them a while to realise there are people on public forums who (wrongly) think it's acceptable conduct to make negative personal remarks against other posters.

Hence realisation might dawn that there are people like that also on the Forum in between posting their thread and the next "point in time" and they remove their post to prevent nasty remarks being made at them.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure