Health/Dental Insurance Help

Options
Catmaspudding
Catmaspudding Posts: 63 Forumite
edited 15 October 2016 at 1:49PM in Insurance & life assurance
I've just finished uni and been hit with a £300 NHS dental bill. I've always had free treatment etc before, so I hadn't exactly budgeted for it (and I haven't been working long enough to save much - I'm actually still paying back student/moving debit (not just the student loan)).

A pre-payment certificate is worth it for prescriptions, but I was wondering if I should be looking into health or dental insurance? I dont really understand what it covers, and none of my family has it.

Finance wise, after bills, I go home with about £500, although that has to pay for food etc as well. Is dental and/or health insurance better than paying massive bills in one go?

If so, which plans should I be looking at?

I havent accepted the nhs treatment yet, so I might be able to delay it a few months. I'm sure it would count as a 'pre-existing condition' or something though.

Edit: The current £300 bill isnt really what im asking about, as I am assuming its too late to do anything about. I just want to know if its worth paying these bills as lump sums or getting dental insurance for next time.

Comments

• sheramber
    sheramber Posts: 19,108 Forumite
    First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped! First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Would you qualify under the NHS low income scheme

http://www.nhs.uk/chq/Pages/1786.aspx
  • Catmaspudding
    Options
    No, thats why I used to get free treatment as a student though. I actually earn a good wage, I just live in a very expensive area (although in the cheapest accommodation I could find).
  • csgohan4
    csgohan4 Posts: 10,587 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    Nixia wrote: »
    No, thats why I used to get free treatment as a student though. I actually earn a good wage, I just live in a very expensive area (although in the cheapest accommodation I could find).

Then I am afraid you will need to pay. You had to have due diligence before allowing someone to do work either your teeth or your car.

You can't get a service without knowing if you can pay for it or assume your entitled to it for free.

I would pay it up, cut down for a month on your spending and chalk it off as a learning lesson.

Failure to pay may result in a County Court judgement which could make it difficult for you to obtain credit in future and ruin your credit file.
    "It is prudent when shopping for something important, not to limit yourself to Pound land/Estate Agents"

G_M/ Bowlhead99 RIP
  • beedeedee
    beedeedee Posts: 991 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    In future, speak to your dentist beforehand and if he knows (and trusts you), he might let you pay it off a bit at a time?
  • GwylimT
    GwylimT Posts: 6,530 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    OP clearly stated they haven't had the treatment yet, so I'm not sure why a CCJ is being thrown around.

I have private health insurance, my dental premium is £9 per month, this covers two checkups a year and two hygienist visits, it also gives me a 20% discount on treatments whether I pay myself or claim. My dentist has a payment scheme where you can pay over 10 months with 0% interest.
  • Quentin
    Quentin Posts: 40,405 Forumite
    edited 14 October 2016 at 4:12PM
    Options
    Nixia wrote: »
    ......I havent accepted the nhs treatment yet, so I might be able to delay it a few months. I'm sure it would count as a 'pre-existing condition' or something though.

You could consider taking out a simply health cash plan ( not a recommendation), but they cover dental claims from the day the policy starts irrespective of it being for pre existing conditions.

Their maximum cover is around £200 a year, but you can cancel at any time (even after a claim) - if you get my drift!!
  • csgohan4
    csgohan4 Posts: 10,587 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    GwylimT wrote: »
    OP clearly stated they haven't had the treatment yet, so I'm not sure why a CCJ is being thrown around.

I have private health insurance, my dental premium is £9 per month, this covers two checkups a year and two hygienist visits, it also gives me a 20% discount on treatments whether I pay myself or claim. My dentist has a payment scheme where you can pay over 10 months with 0% interest.

In that case OP doesn't need to get the work done, OP has a choice, pay or delay treatment and potentially dental problem could get worse and costing more.
    "It is prudent when shopping for something important, not to limit yourself to Pound land/Estate Agents"

G_M/ Bowlhead99 RIP
  • sheramber
    sheramber Posts: 19,108 Forumite
    First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped! First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Dental plans usually require a check up and any necessary work done before they cover you.
  • Quentin
    Quentin Posts: 40,405 Forumite
    Options
    sheramber wrote: »
    Dental plans usually require a check up and any necessary work done before they cover you.
    Not with the cash plan mentioned in #7
  • McKneff
    McKneff Posts: 38,823 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    In your first post, you say you have been hit with a dental bill,

I am conused7
    make the most of it, we are only here for the weekend.
    and we will never, ever return.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport