It's not a lot, but it's enough

Comments

• Chandelier - That's very kind of you. I was making my way through your diary and can see the effort you put in which is lovely. Nobody can avoid time and it takes it's effect on us all. It seems we share the thinking of not really being embarrassed when your grandparent is shouting in public and doesn't realise it.

JVR - That's a shame to hear. My step dad had a very fractious relationship with some of his close family. I heard a saying only yesterday which rings true, "relatives are linked with blood and family are linked with loyalty".

Yesterday after work I played football in thundersnow, a few lightning bolts followed by horizontal snow. We had to abandon the match the unfortunately. The left hand side of everybody's car was 2 inches thick in snow, that's how horizontal it was. Frustratingly the £3.50 for the game ruined my NSD.

Tonight I've got my dinner date with my gran again. Gigot chops. I need to get her recipe as the meat is always so tender, genuinely can't wait.

I listened to Martin Lewis on 5 Live and one thing which he pointed out was the benefit of paying off insurance and the like as a one off as opposed to monthly through DD's, as the interest can be up to 100%!!! So I've played about with YNAB and created a category in order to hopefully be able to pay my insurance and car tax by this time next year. Difficulty is that I'll be getting a new car so I'm not sure what the figures will be. No harm in saving anyway.

The snow was pretty bad out my direction when I woke up. Not feet deep but I live at the bottom of a hill and every winter we have to push multiple cars up, I thought I might have been the first victim this morning. Gritters don't come anywhere near us as they too can't get back up the hill once they're down. Snows seems to have stopped now but looks liked it could return soon.

Have a super Thursday everyone.
  • I love reading about people's relationships with grandparents :) My last grandparent died when I was 20 and living away from home, so I've never really known what it was like. Hope you've had a good time Speky.
  • Morning all,

Indeed I did have a good time CCL, thank you. The wee soul that she is had the table all made and soup on the stove for me coming in. We sat and enjoyed a delicious meal together and had a good laugh. She was all apologetic because she couldn't go out during the day to get fresh vegetables for me because of the weather. She's just such a thoughtful wee woman, love her to bits.

Dinner at my grans meant yesterday was a NSD. I powered through work to distract me from my hunger. I once heard a story about Beyonce who didn't eat for over a day because she didn't have time to think about it. What with her being busy being a mother, singer, performer, actress, wife etc etc. Although on a smaller scale, I'm sure I can avoid buying a quick snack when a peckish if I just keep myself going with work.

I've had a productive week in work so far and I'm keen to keep it going that way. I'll be thankful for the weekend as I'm absolutely shattered. I've got friends coming over again tonight which will be nice, just hope it's not a late one.

I don't have many plans for the weekend. Apart from catch-up on sleep. I'll get my thinking cap on and make a list so I don't waste it.

Happy Friday everyone.
  • louby40
    louby40 Posts: 1,505
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Glad you enjoyed your meal with your gran.

Today is a snow day. All schools closed as the snow was really bad this morning. I'm doing some work from home.

Speky we have inspired someone to sign up to YNAB, they mention us both in their post....they are called draw a line under I think.

Amazing how we inspire others when just plodding along
  • I always find it difficult to stay focused when working from home - too many distractions for me.

Have we?! That's amazing. You're right, it just goes to show that although at time's it may feel like one may not be making progress but are positively influencing others.

Do we get commission? haha.
  • Good evening everyone,

It's Sunday evening and reflecting on my weekend fills me with content. I won't use the word bored, but I've ticked everything off my list so I can pleasantly sit back, watch some TV and have an early night.

I woke this morning at 7am and couldn't get back to sleep so I started my to do list then which was mostly cooking for the week ahead. I feel all my ducks are in a row and I'm super organised. A refreshing feeling.

This last week and half I've had the house to myself and I took that as an opportunity to examine how I'd feel being alone in a home, almost as preparation for the day I get a mortgage. I really enjoyed it. I was more productive than normal and I became even more house proud, the place is spotless! It's once again cemented the fact that this needs to be the year I move out.

I get paid on Friday which I'm looking forward to, as always, so I can put more money into my savings. I'm going to increase last months amount by £50 taking it to £600. I'll continue adding to it until I find where my limit is.

Anyway, I'm going to run a bath, which will be the first I've had a relaxing bath in years, and then head to bed for an early night as the alarm goes off at 5.30am for the gym.

Goodnight.
  • Morning,

Although an early night, I struggled to get up this morning so I was running about a bit later than I'd like. Might try slightly earlier tonight and see how I get on.

Anyway. I've looked at my diary for the week ahead and I have football on twice which means I could potentially manage 5 NSD's. Given the meal prep I put in yesterday, I think it's do able. Sunday may however trip me up as I don't have plans yet and that tends to lead to something spontaneous with friends involving food.

Catch up soon.
  • joeyjimbles
    joeyjimbles Posts: 2,215
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    How nice to have the house to yourself, and to feeling content. I love my family, have lived with OH for over 26 years but I did like being single and living alone too - I was very happy then (I feel I've been pretty lucky). Sometimes OH takes the boys away for the weekend camping or to visit family, and a couple of times a year I take a trip either alone or with the girls for a few days and I thoroughly enjoy having time to myself again. Though in truth I do love having them back too at the end.

Might you consider a flatmate to help pay the mortgage, or do you want to just be on your own?
    NF 04.24 £18.00/£00.00 £72.00/£72.00

LD 11.24 £500.00/£233.00 (46%)    INS 12.24 £600.00/£000.00
    Renewal 24 £400.00/£403.00      Renewal 25 £450.00/£042.00     NPt 12.24 £250.00/£080.95
    FD £3600.00/£0900.00                 X24 £1500.00/£0450.00

• Morning Joey - I can understand that having your family around must be lovely. I've always been independent and I can't pin point why. It's that comfort of my own company that has made me even more determined to buy my own place.

I had considered getting a flatmate however I think I'd like to at least try living on my own for a while. I may turn out to hate it and in which case I'd more than happy to welcome in a flatmate to share the costs. I'll cross that bridge when I come to it.

So yesterday was a spend day as I played football (£4) however today will be an overdue NSD thankfully. I've no plans tonight so I I'll get thinking of things to do to make sure I'm productive. Meals are prepped and I've been to the gym so I really do have a free night. We'll see.
  • Drawingaline
    Drawingaline Posts: 2,938
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    Just swinging by to say hi speky. And thank you once again to you and louby for the reviews of YNAB.
    Debt free Feb 2021 🎉
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure