DWP info required

Hi,
If you are/were in receipt of a benefit and you submitted some information (ie say bank statments), then they want more and you missed the deadline for that as you did not see the letter, then what happens? Presumably you submit it after the deadline but can they possibly just close the claim/suspend the claim? Thanks!

Comments

• TELLIT01
    TELLIT01 Posts: 16,447 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper PPI Party Pooper
    Initially the claim would be suspended if information isn't received by the required date. If you are going to send information in late you really should call them and let them know the reason why.
    In this instance why didn't you see the letter. The reason could make a difference to the actions taken by DWP.
  • MicaF wrote: »
    Hi,
    If you are/were in receipt of a benefit and you submitted some information (ie say bank statments), then they want more and you missed the deadline for that as you did not see the letter, then what happens? Presumably you submit it after the deadline but can they possibly just close the claim/suspend the claim? Thanks!

Yes they can and do suspend then terminate a claim if you fail to submit further information with 30 days.
    The process of both of those actions is tedious for the DWP to undertake. There are a whole raft of regulations that they are supposed to carry out.

But be warned, although things might have changed, but, in late 2010 I refused to submit documents that the DWP demanded within 30 days. The reason why is not important. Anyhow the next thing I noticed after the 30 days were up was that they terminated the claim without suspending it as they should.
    When the DWP were challenged over this action they came up with an excuse that I could not believe.

"Your claim was not terminated, it was 'inhibited' by the computer and as such we are not required to adhere to the Suspension & Termination Regulations".

Make of that as you will,
  • TELLIT01
    TELLIT01 Posts: 16,447 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper PPI Party Pooper
    But be warned, although things might have changed, but, in late 2010 I refused to submit documents that the DWP demanded within 30 days. The reason why is not important. Anyhow the next thing I noticed after the 30 days were up was that they terminated the claim without suspending it as they should.
    When the DWP were challenged over this action they came up with an excuse that I could not believe.

If you refuse to provide information requested/required by DWP there is only one likely outcome - claim suspended or closed. If you have specifically refused to provide the information then closure of the claim is the most likely outcome. If you are unable to provide within the required timescales you need to phone DWP and explain why.

Refusing to provide information is not likely to result in a positive outcome.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure