Completely Crazy Clothes Challenge 2017

Comments

• Kim_13
    Kim_13 Posts: 2,401 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Please count me in too... I am on a mission to make not buy my clothes next year but clearly this will not extend to shoes and possibly not even underwear. Please put me down for £300 + any funds from items in my current wardrobe that I sell. I also like the idea of incentivising weight loss so I will add £10 per 5kg lost

Done, you are number 10.

Though not counting shoes in your spend, you may even find that the number of pairs you buy reduces, as the challenge makes you think about saving money. I didn't count handbags in my budget this year but have only bought 2. I'm still shocked, as I usually buy far too many.

Good luck :)
  • Kim_13
    Eltee12 wrote: »
    Hello

I'd like to join you please, budget of £300 for 2017

El

Hi El, welcome aboard. I've given you number 11.

Kim
  • e4rly
    e4rly Posts: 66 Forumite
    Kim_13 wrote: »
    Hi e4rly

I have definitely gone through the 'I have nothing to wear' phase - probably why my wardrobe is now full to the brim. I must have spent at least £15 a week on clothes a few years back, but the challenge has really helped me this last year. You will get there.

2016 isn't over yet so if you can spend no/very little more with the sales around, you'll be in good stead for 2017 and should feel better about this year.

Number 8 is your number.

Kim

Thanks Kim! It will be hard to resist temptation but I do love a challenge :)
  • Kim_13 wrote: »
    Done, you are number 10.

Though not counting shoes in your spend, you may even find that the number of pairs you buy reduces, as the challenge makes you think about saving money. I didn't count handbags in my budget this year but have only bought 2. I'm still shocked, as I usually buy far too many.

Thanks.... shoes are awful for me... I seldom find any that fit. I've KMd my wardrobe so I'm down to a few pairs of converse, running shoes and the odd heel. I am counting shoes in spend as I'm thinking that is all I will buy. I plan to make my clothes using the fabric I have already or alter what I have. 😂
    Well lets see - I dip in and out of MSE all the time but I still come back - have done since 2007!!! 2023 - Fashion on a ration - 5/66 2023 - 1p Chalenge - £18 in Monzo pot (cannot do pennies so am rounding up)2023 - Frugal Living - Budget still to be finalised - ambition is to cut my food budget by 20% by shopping smarter and meal planning 2023 - January - NSD 15/20 February - NSD 3/15
  • *Jellie*
    *Jellie* Posts: 3,018 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I'm in again please. My rules for this year
    1) only buy from charity shops or make clothes.
    2) budget £200 plus any money made selling clothes. Budget to include material, wool, patterns and purchases from CS.
    3) intentional shopping only! Plan capsule wardrobe for each season, make list of items that will need replacing or that I would like to make (including style silhouette and colours want). Only buy in CS if item completely matches something on my list or can be refashioned immediately to do so!
    4) accurately track and report spending!
    I think that is everything
    2019 fashion on a ration 0/66 coupons
  • Hi please can you count me in for this coming year I have 2 wardrobes full of clothes I don't wear as they don't fit or look awful on and I am effectively wearing a very capsule wardrobe which is wearing out fast... they don't make things like they used too!

I will set a budget of £200 for the year. Charity shops and sales are a girls best friend.
    :pDesperately Determined to Destroy the Debts one at a time.. and Seriously Save for the Spectacular future.:p
  • Kim_13
    *Jellie* wrote: »
    I'm in again please. My rules for this year
    1) only buy from charity shops or make clothes.
    2) budget £200 plus any money made selling clothes. Budget to include material, wool, patterns and purchases from CS.
    3) intentional shopping only! Plan capsule wardrobe for each season, make list of items that will need replacing or that I would like to make (including style silhouette and colours want). Only buy in CS if item completely matches something on my list or can be refashioned immediately to do so!
    4) accurately track and report spending!
    I think that is everything

Good to see you back for this year Jellie; you are number 12. Best of luck with the craft element, birthday cards are about my limit.

Need to do better at point 4 myself next year!
  • Kim_13
    Massa1982 wrote: »
    Hi please can you count me in for this coming year I have 2 wardrobes full of clothes I don't wear as they don't fit or look awful on and I am effectively wearing a very capsule wardrobe which is wearing out fast... they don't make things like they used too!

I will set a budget of £200 for the year. Charity shops and sales are a girls best friend.

Welcome Massa, you are no. 13. They certainly don't. Bad news for everyone's budgets.

Kim
  • Eltee12
    Eltee12 Posts: 768 Forumite
    Mortgage-free Glee! Debt-free and Proud!
    Kim_13 wrote: »
    Hi El, welcome aboard. I've given you number 11.

Kim

Thanks Kim
    2018 AFD 23/240
    2018 CCC #11 £38.40/£250
    Mortgage-free since 2013

Debt-free since Nov 2017
  • Bumblebear
    Bumblebear Posts: 105 Forumite
    Wedding Day Wonder Debt-free and Proud!
    edited 22 December 2016 at 3:32PM
    Can I join in too please? I followed the 2016 thread with interest for the last couple of months :)

I've got a bit of an odd target - I do not NEED anything. I reckon I'm even OK for underwear for a year. However, we are trying for baby #1 and if successful, my wardrobe isn't going to be much use (I'm an 8-10 and only have a few "loose" things :undecided ). Therefore I'm going to say a budget of £250 to be spent on maternity/nursing/post-natal clothes only (obviously only in the event of actually getting preggers, otherwise it's just weird...)

My biggest worry is that I buy something to cheer myself up when nature takes its time, or doesn't work at all. I do have a £20 Next voucher and could do the "£10 off your first online order" thing which would give a £30 budget, and I get M&S vouchers from my credit card (at 0% APR of course). If it really all does get too much, then I would use them or money made from eBay sales.

The third part of my challenge is remembering my target and updating at some kind of regular interval!
    Debt free as of 28/03/2017 (just don't ask about the mortgage :rotfl:)
    Lover of sewing and biscuits, hater of traffic jams and credit cards
    3-6 Month Emergency Fund Challenge #78 £0/£5,670
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family