New Windows/Doors current install problem

Comments

• ytfcmad
    ytfcmad Posts: 380 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 8 November 2017 at 2:37PM
    No, I’m not, but I have measured and fitted windows and know they shouldn’t have large gaps around them if they are measured correctly. It’s not exactly rocket science.

Do you have anything constructive to add to this thread? Based on your posts so far it’s clear you do not so why on earth comment?

First you mention 5mm then you post a link to a national manufacturer who recommend 12mm (so you contradict yourself).

You ask for pictures,you comment that the gap looks big despite not having worked in the industry and have zero knowledge.

My post is very constructive, get professional advice and take no notice of people like yourself because it doesn't do anyone any good.

The OP has posted about none payment and legal action despite his complete lack of knowledge and in turn your's and other ill informed posters. As i said the customer from hell.
  • TheCyclingProgrammer
    TheCyclingProgrammer Posts: 3,702 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    edited 8 November 2017 at 2:49PM
    ytfcmad wrote: »
    First you mention 5mm then you post a link to a national manufacturer who recommend 12mm (so you contradict yourself).

5mm on each side = subtract 10mm from overall width. The link I posted backed this up, but suggested taking off 12mm to be on the safe side. The windows I installed also recommended subtracting 5mm off each side (or 10mm overall) and it seems to be a common recommendation.
    You ask for pictures,you comment that the gap looks big despite not having worked in the industry and have zero knowledge.

I suggested OP posted pictures as she may get better advice if people can see what they actually look like.

You've posted absolutely nothing constructive and looking at your posting history it seems you have nothing better to do than snipe at other posters trying to help. You jump into threads and criticise others whilst offering no useful advice of your own.

This is not a forum full of professionals - its a forum of mostly other DIYers and some professionals who are here to try and help others. If you're not interested in helping OP then as I said, why are you even here? If you're such an expert, why don't you try and help OP or are you actually just here to put down others?

Another troll for the ignore list.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,093 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    I bought a set of windows from Rationel. They told me to leave 11m all round (fitting in existing stone openings). I questioned this, my builder questioned it, but they insisted, saying it was to cope with out of square holes in older buildings. The windows arrived and the gaps looked awful. Was rendering the walls outside anyhow which covered the gap with a stop bead but I should have reduced the gap and ordered what I thought would be right.

In the process of ordering more timber windows from another firm and only taking 3-4mm off all round this time.

Did you get the aluclad options? they need a bit of tolerance to allow the alu cladding to vent properly, if they are fitted tight into a brick check there is a danger of moisture being held between the cladding and timber....
    There are ways to dress them properly but you need to have a think about it
  • Furts
    Furts Posts: 4,474 Forumite
    ytfcmad wrote: »

The OP has posted about none payment and legal action despite his complete lack of knowledge and in turn your's and other ill informed posters. As i said the customer from hell.

OP has posted before, analysing all sorts and seeking details. Forum poster(s) got frustrated and threw in the towel - at least I did and one other.

Now there are more posts when OP had every opportunity to clue up and take control. The information is out there and easily available. To engage a contractor and argue with holding payment when the work is incomplete, and the customer has no idea what standards are required, and has not done simple due diligence to reach their own standards does come across as the customer from hell. I say this by looking at the endless photos, the state of the property the windows are being fitted in, and the doubts I have about all sorts with the structure, the bays, the reveals, the cladding ...
  • bery_451 wrote: »
    Ok getting no response from the company. The fitters say they just fitters and cannot do anything.

Ok what shall I do now? Let them continue and dont pay the balance? Or tell them to stop and ask for my deposit back?

Keep trying to engage with them. Talk to the fitters - it might not be down to them but ask them if they think the windows are correct or not. Raise any concerns you have, they might be able to allay your fears. As a few others have pointed out, there might be valid reasons for the gaps, such as accommodating very out of square openings.

If you're still in doubt having spoken to them then you need to escalate it further and speak to somebody higher up. Don't just withhold payment, you need to speak with them. Don't go in all guns blazing.
  • ytfcmad
    ytfcmad Posts: 380 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    5mm on each side = subtract 10mm from overall width. The link I posted backed this up, but suggested taking off 12mm to be on the safe side. The windows I installed also recommended subtracting 5mm off each side (or 10mm overall) and it seems to be a common recommendation.

I suggested OP posted pictures as she may get better advice if people can see what they actually look like.

You've posted absolutely nothing constructive and looking at your posting history it seems you have nothing better to do than snipe at other posters trying to help. You jump into threads and criticise others whilst offering no useful advice of your own.

This is not a forum full of professionals - its a forum of mostly other DIYers and some professionals who are here to try and help others. If you're not interested in helping OP then as I said, why are you even here? If you're such an expert, why don't you try and help OP or are you actually just here to put down others?

Another troll for the ignore list.

It is a forum full of professional's, some people you just cant help.
  • bery_451
    bery_451 Posts: 1,807 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I’d expect around a 5mm gap. Anything bigger than 10mm and I’d be concerned.

Did they use low expansion foam? Normal expanding foam risks over expanding and warping the frames.

Ok I checked the canister and its a normal expansion foam not the low type. Now I am concerned frames might get warped.:eek:
  • bery_451
    the_r_sole wrote: »
    What do they look like from the outside? do you have a brick reveal?
    From the photo it looks like the gaps are largest at the top and bottom, but the bottom is generally set by the external cill and the widow is wedged up to the correct height.
    Different windows have different requirements for measuring, it also depends on how square the opening is and your wall construction

From outside it looks like white foam has taken over everything.:mad:

My openings are nothing out of the ordinary.

What are brick reveals?

Wall construction are typical cavity walls.

Ok what are the measuring requirements for upvc windows instead of wood windows?
  • bery_451
    the_r_sole wrote: »
    Did you get the aluclad options? they need a bit of tolerance to allow the alu cladding to vent properly, if they are fitted tight into a brick check there is a danger of moisture being held between the cladding and timber....
    There are ways to dress them properly but you need to have a think about it

Not Aluminium, normal upvc material.
  • bery_451
    Update:

Director of the company came down today after reading our concerns and he said he wants to bring the deposit now to 70% that is £7000 from the original £2000 otherwise they wont continue with the fitting leaving the job half done. :mad:

Wont this breach the contract?

If I agree paying a higher deposit after this dispute for the sake completing the job then am I still entitled to section 75 credit card refund?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure