Amex shop small back

Comments

• Nick_C
    Nick_C Posts: 7,455 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Home Insurance Hacker!
    I live in a village. The post office, the butcher, the beauty salon, the farm shop, and the garden centre all take Amex.

In the nearest town, the Dentist takes Amex.

Lots of opportunities.
  • joe134
    joe134 Posts: 3,336 Forumite
    Nick_C wrote: »
    I live in a village. The post office, the butcher, the beauty salon, the farm shop, and the garden centre all take Amex.

In the nearest town, the Dentist takes Amex.

Lots of opportunities.
    The number of shops participating in my area, are considerably less this year!
    I only use these 2butchers for this event, feel guilty, but, they don,t seem to mind. £60 of meat for £30. 3 cards.
    They are a lot dearer than Morris, which is on the doorstep., but with the cash back, it,s viable
    Money in their till.:)
  • Biggles
    Biggles Posts: 8,209 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    joe134 wrote: »
    I only use these 2 butchers for this event, feel guilty
    I shouldn't, I doubt it costs them a penny.
  • bigadaj
    bigadaj Posts: 11,531 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Biggles wrote: »
    I shouldn't, I doubt it costs them a penny.

Well it costs them a few pennies in the form of amexs relatively hefty fees, though admittedly not anywhere near the full promotional cost.
  • bxboards
    bxboards Posts: 1,711 Forumite
    Useless for me, the only business listed is a posh hotel. I've opted in to this for the last 3 years and never been able to use this sadly.

The AMEX 'tailored for you' offers are always obviously not tailored for me - I have £1 back from Starbucks, with no Starbucks within miles, 1% back for train tickets with no train station for miles, and £10 off Heathrow Express - and I couldn't be much further away from Heathrow if I tried :)
  • I tried to take advantage of the "shop small" scheme at two merchants (one a shop, the other a restaurant) shown on the map. Neither accepted Amex, and the restaurant owner claimed he had never accepted it...

Have raised this issue with Amex and, whilst I have been given a £10 credit, have not had a satisfactory explanation as to how these two businesses appeared on the map in the first place.
  • wolvoman
    wolvoman Posts: 1,173 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Up to the end of yesterday I've done 210 transactions on this promo, with still a week to go. Going to see if I can hit 500 transactions by next Sunday - that's £5k of spend and £2,500 in savings!!
  • lev441
    lev441 Posts: 41 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    wolvoman wrote: »
    Up to the end of yesterday I've done 210 transactions on this promo, with still a week to go. Going to see if I can hit 500 transactions by next Sunday - that's £5k of spend and £2,500 in savings!!

How on earth have you spent so much??? I thought I was doing well with 20 transactions over 5 different amex's...?!
  • joe134
    joe134 Posts: 3,336 Forumite
    edited 13 December 2016 at 9:33AM
    I,ve only done 3, one with MBNA. As usual, MBNA haven,t refunded the £5, AMEX plat did theirs next day.
    I have this every year. MBNA says it,s Amex,s responsibility, Amex say it,s MBNA,s.
    All cards are registered with AMEX.
    don,t think I can be a****d with second butcher et.al, with MBNA.
    I went ape the first year, there were loads on it, now, only 10 locally.unless I want to eat out all the time.
    no thanks, that,s why I buy meat, which. I don,t eat.OH et al.:)
    anyone else had trouble getting their mbna £5?
  • Biggles
    Biggles Posts: 8,209 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    lev441 wrote: »
    How on earth have you spent so much???
    Especially as you can only cash out once per small trader. You must be doing plenty of miles!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure