Cash or card in the USA

Ok, so let me say first I know this is a no no, but just would like to know anyway.

Will be in US for 4 weeks soon, and will likely use my HSBC Credit Card, for up to £1000.
This will be repaid in full 1st February 2018.

Would it be cheaper to take this out in cash prior to leaving and convert to US $, exorbitant fees I know, or should I just use in the US as a Credit Card, again exorbitant fees, for several uses as already advised when I telephone to let them know I will be abroad.

Unfortunately, there is no way round this as an unexpected large bill last week, means I am lower in cash availability than I should be and I leave later this week.

Both will be expensive, but which way would be cheaper.

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 35,242
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    The first involves cash and forex fee, the second just forex fees.
  • Is dollars or pound worth more ?
  • Vehlin
    Vehlin Posts: 5 Forumite
    For what it's worth I was in the USA for 6 weeks this year and I basically never used cash. All food and drinks went on my card and I used Uber to get around. So don't think you're going to need actual cash. On your HSBC card I think you'll be paying 3% fees on each transaction. So about £30 on £1000.
  • Kim_13
    Kim_13 Posts: 2,314
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Forumite
    Use the card while you're there. Withdrawing cash on a credit card is a double no no, as interest is charged on it from the day of the withdrawal (usually at a higher rate than standard purchases.) It can also hurt your credit file as it makes you look desperate for credit, moreso than just spending on the card. It also removes the risk of carrying around large amounts of cash.
  • Ebe_Scrooge
    Ebe_Scrooge Posts: 7,320
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    Is dollars or pound worth more ?

Currently 1 USD is worth about 75p, so schools shoes at $3 per pair will be cheaper than £3 per pair. Muppet.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,077
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Community Admin
    Remember that you'd need 10% tips for practically everywhere.
    Always worth having some $1, $5 & $10 bills for that.
  • heatherw_01
    heatherw_01 Posts: 6,545
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Ambassador
    I always take both cash and card
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Quick Grabbit, Freebies, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning and the UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards.
    If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.
    All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • sheramber
    sheramber Posts: 18,862
    First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped! First Post Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Halifax Clarity card has no usage fees for using abroad
  • pogofish
    pogofish Posts: 10,852
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    The Flights, Currency and Car Hire forum in Overseas Travel has lots of pertinent advice.
  • sheramber wrote: »
    Halifax Clarity card has no usage fees for using abroad

Op leaves later this week. Won't be enough time to get said card.

Op, you will need some cash for tips, but almost everything can be bought on card. I rarely use cash when I'm in the USA, but I stock up on $1 bills where I can. Useful for tipping the cleaning lady in the hotel etc.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure