Universal credit start date

Forgive me if I'm being stupid, but does anyone know when the Universal Credit will start. Is it April 2013, or later in that year?

Also what happens if it's phased in over a period of time? Will we renew Child tax credits as usual?

Thanks in advance :)

Comments

• Pedent
    Pedent Posts: 150
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    From page 47 of http://cdn.hm-treasury.gov.uk/as2012_policy_costings.pdf, published yesterday:
    • New claims to UC in place of JSA start from October 2013;
    • New claims to UC in place of TC and IS start from May 2014;
    • New claims to UC in place of ESA and HB start from October 2014;
    • Managed changes start in September 2014, initially for JSA cases, and then the other benefits and tax credits in the same order as new claims.
  • rogerblack
    rogerblack Posts: 9,446 Forumite
    Those are the proposed timings which are desired by ministers.
    There are increasing noises coming from within the system that these are unlikely to be achievable.
  • p00hsticks
    p00hsticks Posts: 12,672
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Forumite
    They are launching it in certain 'pathfinder' areas in April next year

http://www.dwp.gov.uk/policy/welfare-reform/universal-credit/

The timetable is then to start new claims nationwide from October
  • Pedent wrote: »
    • Managed changes start in September 2014, initially for JSA cases, and then the other benefits and tax credits in the same order as new claims.

So, as someone who gets tax credits, nothing will change for me till at least Sept '14?

That is much later than I had thought.
  • That's what I don't understand, do we use the same forms, same contact numbers and still call it Tax Credits until our change over date???
  • Why worry about something that has not yet happened. You will get a letter with new details on as they get around to dealing with and converting the TC into UC. Once you get that, then you will know who to ring/write to won't you.
  • rogerblack
    rogerblack Posts: 9,446 Forumite
    Why worry about something that has not yet happened. You will get a letter with new details on as they get around to dealing with and converting the TC into UC. Once you get that, then you will know who to ring/write to won't you.

Because it can be important in working out your finances, as it can make a significant financial impact on your life.
  • Icequeen99
    Icequeen99 Posts: 3,775 Forumite
    assj wrote: »
    That's what I don't understand, do we use the same forms, same contact numbers and still call it Tax Credits until our change over date???

Yes, you stay in tax credits until you are told otherwise.

IQ
  • do i claim for DHP (to cover bedroom tax), or wait for dets of what jsa/hb/ctax i need to pay, and claim for under UC?
    Long time away from MSE, been dealing real life stuff..
    Sometimes seen lurking on the compers forum :-)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure