Waterstones e books

Options
Hi, I had the following e mail, received yesterday,

The Waterstones eBooks store is closing, but we have partnered with Kobo to ensure that you will still be able to access your library of eBook titles purchased with us.

On 14th June 2016 we will send you an email with a personalised link to transfer your eBooks to Kobo.

You will also be able to access your current library on Waterstones.com from now until Monday, 13th June 2016, to ensure we do not interrupt your reading experience.

About Kobo

Rakuten Kobo Inc. is one of the world’s fastest-growing eReading services, empowering booklovers to read more. With Kobo, you’ll enjoy easy, instant access to their eBookstore of over 5 million of the world’s best eBooks that can be read anywhere, on any device. Plus, you’ll earn Kobo Super Points rewards with every purchase.

So, from the team at Waterstones, we want to extend our thanks to you for using our service and we wish you a happy reading future with Rakuten Kobo.

Important Notice

If you are happy to move your library, you don't need to do anything. In doing so, we will assume you are happy for us to share your Waterstones library with Kobo, so they can provide us with your personalised link to take you through to the library transfer process

If you do NOT wish to transfer your library to Rakuten Kobo, please click here.

If you do not receive the link to transfer your library on or soon after, Tuesday 14th June 2016, then please visit our Contact Us pages to get in touch.

As I have Waterstones gift cards, I went online this morning to choose some books and Waterstones has already ceased trading in ebooks. I phoned the helpline only to be told that the gift cards are not transferable to Kobo. The chap I spoke to told me that the customer service department had only been informed yesterday of the plan to stop selling ebooks. I wonder if anyone else has had any mail from Waterstones previously regarding the closing of the ebook store..

Comments

• ThumbRemote
    ThumbRemote Posts: 4,622 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I suspect that there's nothing you can do about this. Many companies will stop selling products or ranges of products with immediate effect. You can still use the gift cards in Waterstones, just not on the exact products you wanted.
  • daisy1964
    daisy1964 Posts: 13 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks thumb remote,, The guy I spoke to said that the card could be used in store on products, I just think that its been done too quickly, and wondered if anyone knew of why they have stopped trading in eBooks
  • LilElvis
    LilElvis Posts: 5,835 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    It proving to be unprofitable would be the most likely reason.
  • DCFC79
    DCFC79 Posts: 40,598 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    daisy1964 wrote: »
    Thanks thumb remote,, The guy I spoke to said that the card could be used in store on products, I just think that its been done too quickly, and wondered if anyone knew of why they have stopped trading in eBooks

Maybe not viable as a business.

They don't sell audio books now so anyone who has bought 1 in the past needs to download the relevant files if not already done so.
  • philnicandevan
    Options
    Nook have done exactly the same thing...they've transferred to sainsburys entertainment..supposedly transferred my library of past books I bought..after dozens of emails and phonecalls looks like i've lost a fair chunk of books I had stored (cloud)...so much hassle in the end back with amazon again
    Not quite a newbie as you think ;);) (the member formally known as philnicandamy!)

FINALLY a qualified CAB debt caseworker 2015..:p
    BSC 58 :D
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family