Discover finance

Comments

• Just been scammed by this discovery finance!! What an idiot I am!! They seemed all above board untill they asked me for money upfront which I thought was bit fishy but I enquired and they explained in detail that it would be refunded when my loan was paid out! I asked if there would be any more up front payments and I was assured by a Michael smith that no there wouldn't be! So I stupidly paid the £50 up front and was told they would call me back in 10 mins to tell me the loan was transferred! They did call me back but only to ask for more money up front this time £130!!! I refused this explaining I had been gaurenteed no more fees at which point the woman tried to promise me this would be the last and then the loan would be paid out!! I told them I was no longer interested as they had not been honest with me! They have called me back a couple of times but I haven't answered! Think they know I'm finally on to them!! I feel like an idiot but glad I've only lost £50!!!! DO NOT USE THIS COMPANY!!!!
  • Apples2
    Apples2 Posts: 6,442 Forumite
    Shouldn't be difficult to track down Mike Smith!!

Shows how much effort is needed to get an income these days.
  • Dito123 wrote: »
    Just been scammed by this discovery finance!! What an idiot I am!! They seemed all above board untill they asked me for money upfront which I thought was bit fishy but I enquired and they explained in detail that it would be refunded when my loan was paid out! I asked if there would be any more up front payments and I was assured by a Michael smith that no there wouldn't be! So I stupidly paid the £50 up front and was told they would call me back in 10 mins to tell me the loan was transferred! They did call me back but only to ask for more money up front this time £130!!! I refused this explaining I had been gaurenteed no more fees at which point the woman tried to promise me this would be the last and then the loan would be paid out!! I told them I was no longer interested as they had not been honest with me! They have called me back a couple of times but I haven't answered! Think they know I'm finally on to them!! I feel like an idiot but glad I've only lost £50!!!! DO NOT USE THIS COMPANY!!!!

You have not lost £50, unless this company are based outside of the UK. Look up their terms and conditions and WRITE TO THEM RECORDED DELIVERY (do not phone or email) demanding your money back. If they have deceived you, then tell them you will complain to the FSA and OFT if your money is not refunded in full. Complaints to the FSA and OFT will cost the company much more than refunding your money.

And please, next time you have the urge to give anyone your debit card details, please consult the T&C of the site or Google the company beforehand, not afterwards as in this case.
    "There are not enough superlatives in the English language to describe a 'Princess Coronation' locomotive in full cry. We shall never see their like again". O S Nock
  • SnowTiger
    SnowTiger Posts: 4,458
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Forumite
    You have not lost £50, unless this company are based outside of the UK. Look up their terms and conditions and WRITE TO THEM RECORDED DELIVERY (do not phone or email) demanding your money back. If they have deceived you, then tell them you will complain to the FSA and OFT if your money is not refunded in full. Complaints to the FSA and OFT will cost the company much more than refunding your money.

And please, next time you have the urge to give anyone your debit card details, please consult the T&C of the site or Google the company beforehand, not afterwards as in this case.

Sadly, I think Dito123 has lost their money.

Confusingly, there seems to be several companies with names similar to Discover Finance and Discovery Finance.

Discovery Finance UK, which itself looks scammy and appears to be a broker affiliate, even has a warning about the scam on its website:
    Scam Warning:

We are aware of a scam where people are being contacted by an organisation purporting to be Discover Finance UK. They are leading people to believe they are based at an address in Elland, West Yorkshire and asking them to pay money into an account using UKash. This activity is fraudulent and does not originate from Discover Finance UK or Reactiv Media Ltd.

For more information or to report fraud visit https://www.actionfraud.police.uk.

Anyway, Michael Smith is probably located in India or Africa and won't give a tuppence about the FSA and OFT.

This scam is quite well-known in various guises. Often the mark is told they've won a lottery and have to pay a fee to have the funds transferred. When they've paid that they're ask to pay a release fee, money to pay taxes, etc. It just goes on and on until the mark realises it's a con.

I wouldn't be surprised if Dito123 paid by UKash and only has a Yahoo! email address and 070 type phone number as contact details.
  • I was assuming the OP paid by debit card as I said in my post. If he paid by UKASH or similar, then indeed the money is well and truly gone and will never be seen again.
    "There are not enough superlatives in the English language to describe a 'Princess Coronation' locomotive in full cry. We shall never see their like again". O S Nock
  • Received a call today from this number. They have changed their tactic - they now claim to be a PPI company.
  • Had a call from them yesterday. They called themselves 'consumer advice'. Demanded that they remove my contact details (mobile phone number) from their database and not contact me again.
  • Had a call from them today, back to their old tactics of "I'm calling about your loan application". My number is tps registered.
  • steverl wrote: »
    Has anyone heard of or dealt with discover finance?

I had a call from these guys and so did a friend. This only happened when we had both holiday'd in Tunisia. Can anyone else recall if these calls started happening after a holiday to North Africa or the Middle East? The friend that I mentioned wasn't a friend until we met in Tunisia and we both discussed how it was weird that we never even heard of this "company" until both our phones we connected to Tunisian network providers.

I'm assuming that these scammers are able to fetch telephone numbers when attached to the foreign masts. Or alternatively the scammers have an inside man with Thomson Holidays.

I'd be interested to know if any of you had been abroad before you got these calls
  • They called me too... I had gone off the idea of buying a BMW X5, but do like the look of the Range Rover Sport. In a moment of madness, I sent them £59.99 to see if they could go on Google for me and search 'bad loans' before passing me on to someone credible like Ralph Marlon Loans... shall I go to their offices and see them in person to recover my money? :rotfl:

It is terible that these scams exist, but people need to learn, anything not from a high street bank, or something you have to pay upfront for is a scam...:money:
    Probably the best Engineer in the World
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport