Flight landed at wrong airport and we were transferred onto another plane

Options
Earlier this year we flew from Dubrovnik to Gatwick, there was an issue and the plane had to land in Paris and couldn't be fixed, eventually they got another plane to us and we finally got home about 7 hours after we should have.

Timeline is as follows (I assume these are local to the airports):

EZY5426
http://www.flightstats.co.uk/FlightStatus/flightStatusByFlight.do?id=412823590&airlineCode=U2&flightNumber=5426

12:20 Depart Dubrovnik
15:39 Arrive (Gate) Paris (Charles De Gaulle)

Now as you can see from here it is reporting as 66 minutes late, but that is it being 66 minutes late AND arriving at the wrong airport.
There are further time stamps on the tracking page which show when we eventually got to Gatwick, but these have been adjusted at the bottom of the detail page.
http://www.flightstats.co.uk/FlightStatus/flightStatusByFlightExtendedDetails.do?id=412823590&airlineCode=U2&flightNumber=5426

Checking the departures for CGD airport that day I have found that the actual plane that eventually brought us home has another flight number (this was not a normally scheduled flight, it was flown in from Berlin)

http://www.flightstats.co.uk/FlightStatus/flightStatusByFlight.do?id=412815981&airlineCode=U2&flightNumber=8326

8:35 Depart CDG
8:41 Arrive LGW

So in summary we were scheduled as follows:
12:20 Depart Dubrovnik
14:10 Arrive Gatwick

But we actually arrived 6 hours and 30 minutes late.

Now as you can see because both departures had different times on them the overall delays of those flights recorded do not add up to our total delay in getting home (because of the time in between landing in CDG and when they had originally scheduled our departure from CDG)

How do I go about claiming?
Do I just include both flight details in the letter?
Bare in mind I have no actual proof that the second plane was the one we were on (we were never issued new boarding passes with a new flight number or anything).

Thanks in advance.
Nick.

Comments

• Caz3121
    Caz3121 Posts: 15,545 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    you need to read this helpful guide http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5042802
    You only had one flight originally booked so that is what you claim for
    The fact that the flight had to divert to another airport seems likely that they will claim safety or technical issue so be prepared for a long slog
    post on the Easyjet thread if you have further questions
  • Dreddnarz
    Options
    Thanks for your reply.
    Caz3121 wrote: »
    seems likely that they will claim safety or technical issue so be prepared for a long slog

This is indeed the case for having to land, but surely it's still a case where we can claim because it's the airlines fault that their own plane had an electrical issue causing us to have an emergency landing.

I've read that guide, but I just posted in here to see if anyone else had a similar specific experience in landing somewhere other than their destination and then being switched to a new plane (new flight number) resulting in a lengthy delay in getting home.
  • callum9999
    callum9999 Posts: 4,392 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Dreddnarz wrote: »
    Thanks for your reply.

This is indeed the case for having to land, but surely it's still a case where we can claim because it's the airlines fault that their own plane had an electrical issue causing us to have an emergency landing.

I've read that guide, but I just posted in here to see if anyone else had a similar specific experience in landing somewhere other than their destination and then being switched to a new plane (new flight number) resulting in a lengthy delay in getting home.

Under the letter of the law, almost certainly yes. Will Easyjet accept that it's their fault however is the more relevant question - which is almost certainly no.

If you want compensation, be prepared for court.
  • Dreddnarz
    Options
    callum9999 wrote: »
    If you want compensation, be prepared for court.

Figured that might be the case sadly, just finished dealing with court to claim back an unreturned deposit for a tenancy which was successful (thanks in part to MSE forums!) so I'm at least a little familiar with the small claims process now.
    Oh what fun!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport