How to get out of a joint bank account?

Hi there,

Does anyone know if there are two named parties on a joint bank account, what one has to do to get off the bank account?

Do both parties have to agree for one to come off it?

Comments

• tori.k
    tori.k Posts: 3,592 Forumite
    Tell the bank you no longer wish a joint account they will then freeze the account untill they get hold of the other named person if they agree the account will be closed, either way the account will remain frozen untill its sorted
  • MsDee
    MsDee Posts: 189 Forumite
    Thank you - what happens if the person won't agree it to it then what happens?

I'm a little worried about d/d's bouncing if the a/c is frozen...
  • Rachel85
    Rachel85 Posts: 370 Forumite
    If the account is frozen then direct debits will bounce so you will need to make alternative arrangements for these. I believe that it would be unusual for a name to be "taken off" the account - I would have thought that the account would be closed and any credit divided by the account holders however they see fit.

If you are able to post brief details of why you want to "come off" a joint account people may be able to advise you better.
    There is no such thing as a free lunch. Its only free because you've paid for it.

Noone can have everything they want and the sooner you learn that the better.

MSE Aim: To have more "thanks" than "posts"! :T
  • DVardysShadow
    DVardysShadow Posts: 18,949 Forumite
    Rachel85 wrote: »
    If the account is frozen then direct debits will bounce so you will need to make alternative arrangements for these. I believe that it would be unusual for a name to be "taken off" the account - I would have thought that the account would be closed and any credit divided by the account holders however they see fit.

If you are able to post brief details of why you want to "come off" a joint account people may be able to advise you better.
    Or any overdraft would have to be cleared.

I would start by writing to the bank asking them to close the account and render a final statement - and advise that you will not accept responsibility for transactions with immediate effect. Keep a copy, you may have to argue your case later.
    Hi, we’ve had to remove your signature. If you’re not sure why please read the forum rules or email the forum team if you’re still unsure - MSE ForumTeam
  • Errata
    Errata Posts: 38,230 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Both people have to agree to open a joint account, both have to agree to close it.
    .................:)....I'm smiling because I have no idea what's going on ...:)
  • MsDee
    MsDee Posts: 189 Forumite
    Rachel85 wrote: »

I want to leave my partner, but they don't want me to leave and will make things very difficult, including not giving their consent to close the joint account.
  • DVardysShadow
    DVardysShadow Posts: 18,949 Forumite
    Errata wrote: »
    Both people have to agree to open a joint account, both have to agree to close it.
    I don't see that. It is Joint and Several responsibility and I believe that it is not equitable to force one party to continue with the responsibility for the other against their will. Obviously both must agree to open it, but I think both have to agree to continue it. Obviously, in closing it, both parties are liable for all transactions up to the point at which either party gives notice that the account is to close.
    Hi, we’ve had to remove your signature. If you’re not sure why please read the forum rules or email the forum team if you’re still unsure - MSE ForumTeam
  • aliasojo
    aliasojo Posts: 23,053 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    When husband and I separated, I went into the bank and asked for my name to be taken off the joint account and for a new sole account to be opened instead. It was done there and then with no input from husband needed but that was some time ago now so maybe things have changed since then?
    Herman - MP for all! :)
  • Rachel85
    Rachel85 Posts: 370 Forumite
    Or any overdraft would have to be cleared.QUOTE]

Yes I hadn't thought of that.

I would start by opening up a new account in just your name, arrange for your salary and/or any other money you receive to be paid into there. You will need to make alternative arrangements for any direct debits or other outgoings too. The bank will be able to advise you on how to go about 'closing' the account - this situation will have happened many times before.

Good luck.
    There is no such thing as a free lunch. Its only free because you've paid for it.

Noone can have everything they want and the sooner you learn that the better.

MSE Aim: To have more "thanks" than "posts"! :T
  • oystercatcher
    oystercatcher Posts: 2,329 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    I have had account as single, 1st husband added, then removed, single for a few years, now second husband added. All same account number.....
    I really can't remember if first husband had to agree to be removed though, I would imagine he wrote a letter.......as I was staying in the house it made sense to keep all the direct debits going as before.
    Decluttering, 20 mins / day Jan 2024 2/2 
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport