PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Lots more Sneaky Ways to save the pennies

Penelope_Penguin
Penelope_Penguin Posts: 17,288 Forumite
First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
edited 14 May 2019 at 10:52AM in Old style MoneySaving
Official MSE Insert:

Thanks to Penlope Penguin for starting this legendary thread, which includes everything from growing your own veg to washing & reusing plastic bags.
Scroll down for tons more tips.

If you haven’t already,
join the forum.

Back to the original post...

The original Sneaky Ways thread is now very long so time for another :D

My Sneaky Way - always ask yourself if you really need a non-essential item, and even if you do, wait a week to see if you still need it :D This has saved DH and I loads :money:

What are your ways of sneakily saving pennies that your family doesn't notice? I challenge you all to come up with a brand new Sneaky Way that isn;t on the original thread :p

Penny. x
If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply! Thanks to Penelope Penguin for posting the tip originally.
[purplesignup][/purplesignup]
:rudolf: Sheep, pigs, hens and bees on our Teesdale smallholding :rudolf:

Comments

• sock-knitter
    sock-knitter Posts: 1,630 Forumite
    Eenymeeny wrote: »
    Thanks for the new thread Penny, now that's some challenge!
    How about today when I wrapped a bottle of water in a microfibre teatowel before placing in my bag to go out for the day? It kept cool and absorbed any drips. We also had a cloth handy for dirty little hands and faces!:D
    this is one i hadnt thought of, but will certainly use, thanks
    loves to knit and crochet for others
  • Uniscots97
    Uniscots97 Posts: 6,685 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 25 April 2010 at 11:00AM
    If getting to the bottom of nail varnish and its gloopy, I add a drop of nail varnish remover, close the lid give it a good shake then use. This makes it go a little further.

I always have loads of body lotion. I found it works great instead of shave gel for my legs. If its a really thick body lotion I water it down slightly so it doesn't clog the razor. Smooth silky legs in one easy step.
    CC2 = £8687.86 ([STRIKE]£10000[/STRIKE] )CC1 = £0 ([STRIKE]£9983[/STRIKE] ); Reusing shopping bags savings =£5.80 vs spent £1.05.Wine is like opera. You can enjoy it even if you don't understand it and too much can give you a headache the next day J
  • SunnyGirl
    SunnyGirl Posts: 2,639 Forumite
    If you buy tinted moisturiser for the summer instead of using foundation just mix a little of your usual foundation with your face cream in the palm of your hand before applying as usual. The same effect but not an extra product to buy :)
  • Unity
    Unity Posts: 1,524 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Assuming you're like me and hoard tissue paper to re-use and wrap presents there are a couple of things to jazz them up.

If the tissue paper is a pale colour then flicking it with water colour paint creates a nice 'splat' effect. Or you can paint directly on to it.
    If you have dark tissue paper doing the same but with bleach (wearing gloves and having newspaper down!) also gives a good result.

Voila - smart and shabby chic wrapping paper!

I can't take credit for this - but one of the 'Victorian Christmas' programmes on (I think) BBC2 showed how to make marbled wrapping paper, by filling a sink with water and dripping oil-based paint onto the surface. You can swirl it with a chopstick or similar and then lay a piece of ordinary drawing paper on the surface. Obviously don't let it get soaking wet, (or you'll just have papier-mache :D) remove it and lay it flat to dry on old newspapers and you have stylish cheap wrapping paper.
    Some people hear voices, some see invisible people. Others have no imagination whatsoever :D
  • Eenymeeny
    Eenymeeny Posts: 2,015 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Unity wrote: »
    I can't take credit for this - but one of the 'Victorian Christmas' programmes on (I think) BBC2 showed how to make marbled wrapping paper, by filling a sink with water and dripping oil-based paint onto the surface. You can swirl it with a chopstick or similar and then lay a piece of ordinary drawing paper on the surface. Obviously don't let it get soaking wet, (or you'll just have papier-mache :D) remove it and lay it flat to dry on old newspapers and you have stylish cheap wrapping paper.
    Wow, I remember being shown this at school then using the paper to back our books! Does anyone do this anymore? It would be nice to colour co-ordinate covered gift boxes wouldn't it? I would use a paint roller tray though, save messing the sink up:D
    Thanks Unity, I'd forgotten about that.:T
    The beautiful thing about learning is nobody can take it away from you.
    Thanks to everyone who contributes to this wonderful forum. I'm very grateful for the guidance and friendliness that I always receive from you.
    :A:beer:
    Please and Thank You are the magic words;)
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback