In-car notification of speed limit

Comments

• Crabman
    Crabman Posts: 9,943 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Intrepid Forum Explorer
    Here Maps for Android/iOS has this feature, it's a free app and you can download maps to enable offline mode (no data usage). I'm surprised Google Maps has yet to add speed limits.

Sadly, the user interface of Here Maps is awful.
  • waamo wrote: »
    Get married. You will then be presented with a whole array of driving aids. You will be told the speed limit. If you are too slow, too fast round an island, too small a gap, too big a gap.

You name it and you will get advice on it.

I've got one of these sat nag systems!
  • Robisere
    Robisere Posts: 3,237 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Combo Breaker
    It's not Rocket Science!

* None of these gadgets, Satnav or otherwise, are ever up to date.
    * They do not give accurate readings.
    * There are signs on every road, telling you the speed limit on that road.
    * Most cars now have some form of Cruise control, to set the limit as signed.
    * If yours does not have cruise control or speed limiting, the onus is upon you as a driver to observe the limit. Failure to do this, is called Driving Without Due Care.

It cost me 6 points several years ago to have all those pennies finally drop.
    I think this job really needs
    a much bigger hammer.
  • Car_54
    Car_54 Posts: 8,209 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Robisere wrote: »
    * If yours does not have cruise control or speed limiting, the onus is upon you as a driver to observe the limit. Failure to do this, is called Driving Without Due Care.

NO, the onus is upon you as a driver regardless of whether or not you have cruise control.

And failure to observe the limit is normally called "exceeding the speed limit" - I've never heard of anyone charged with careless driving simply for speeding.
  • Robisere
    Robisere Posts: 3,237 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Combo Breaker
    Car_54 wrote: »
    NO, the onus is upon you as a driver regardless of whether or not you have cruise control.

And failure to observe the limit is normally called "exceeding the speed limit" - I've never heard of anyone charged with careless driving simply for speeding.

Agree with the first part, not the second. Not observing Highway signs is surely careless?
    I think this job really needs
    a much bigger hammer.
  • Mercdriver
    Mercdriver Posts: 3,898 Forumite
    You can be done in Scotland for Dangerous Driving with speed alone being the reason.
  • Car_54
    Agree with the first part, not the second. Not observing Highway signs is surely careless?

It's "careless" in the popular sense of the word, but the carelessness has to manifest itself in some way for it to come to the attention of the criminal justice system, and that normally means that a specific offence has been committed, e.g. speeding or disobeying a sign.

It makes sense to prosecute for speeding rather than careless driving, since the former it can normally be proved objectively.
  • Car_54
    Mercdriver wrote: »
    You can be done in Scotland for Dangerous Driving with speed alone being the reason.

True. We Scots like to be different.
  • AdrianC
    AdrianC Posts: 42,189 Forumite
    If that logic held, then ANY motoring offence - speeding, parking, whatever - would automatically be careless driving. It isn't.

Mercdriver is right about the Scottish legal system and speed way above the limit - but it does have to be WAY above. Even the kind of speeds that would see you straight to court, no fixed penalty option, in the rest of the country would not necessarily see you facing a Dangerous in Scotland.
  • datostar
    datostar Posts: 1,288 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Mercdriver wrote: »

You can in England and Wales too - 'driving at a speed or in a manner dangerous'
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure