Paint idea for a room?

Comments

• Doozer girl. I was actually on site that I got the idea of turquoise and lime from. I was reading an article on there and it said bright white or warm white go perfectly with turquoise and lime. Only issue I am having is working out which paint will fall under white or bright white.
  • farrow and ball do a lot of whites that are not actually white......how about getting some testers. They all look different in different rooms and different lights.

I LOVE decorating. Good luck - hope it all turns out fab.
  • andrewf75
    andrewf75 Posts: 10,421
    First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    Definitely bad idea to paint rooms brilliant white. White can be good but it needs to be a softer one.

Disagree that feature walls are outdated. If you watch TV design shows they still use bold colours. The right colour in the right room looks good. People pay too much attention to trends.
  • Thanks for your comment but what paint would you recommend as a softer white
  • andrewf75
    andrewf75 Posts: 10,421
    First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    Ibl0010 wrote: »
    Thanks for your comment but what paint would you recommend as a softer white

there are loads to choose from

we have used "sail white" by Crown which I definitely recommend but there is a large choice of similar colours.
  • kerri_gt
    kerri_gt Posts: 11,202
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Xmas Saver!
    Forumite
    Most of the rooms in our house were neutralised by matt white by the vendors when we bought the house - certainly don't find it cold or clinical and really easy to live with while we decorate as necessary. As they did the house it's purely a trade matt white - nothing fancy coloured.

We added a feature wall when the living room was decorated last year - a grey chimney breast - there's a house in our street that's just sold and is very recently decorated with exactly the same thing so I don't think feature walls are dated (rag rolling and stencilling is another matter)

Have a look on Houzz too - like Pinterest for houses.
    Feb 2015 NSD Challenge 8/12
    JAN NSD 11/16

• IAmWales
    IAmWales Posts: 2,024 Forumite
    edited 21 September 2017 at 5:57PM
    worried123 wrote: »
    farrow and ball do a lot of whites that are not actually white......how about getting some testers. They all look different in different rooms and different lights.

I LOVE decorating. Good luck - hope it all turns out fab.

Only a fool pays F&B prices! OP get the F&B colour chart (Little Greene also), pick your colour and then get it mixed by another brand. I have F&B Pointing in Johnstones matt, £26 for 5l but price will vary depending on the retailer. That might be a bit too creamy for you, so look at the chart and the hundreds of pics online to decide what works for you. Wimborne White may be what you're looking for.
  • Ibl0010 wrote: »
    I have downloaded a compass app and pointed it in the direction of my room window and it appears that it is a south facing room.

Do you not have the sun where you live?
  • Any one used dulux white cotton. Apparently this is the closest to white off white.
  • spadoosh
    spadoosh Posts: 8,732
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    Doozergirl wrote: »
    Pure brilliant white is definitely as white as you get.

You'd think so. Ask for a tin of pure brilliant white to be mixed and watch in amazement as the machine pumps in a squirt of its black colourant!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.3K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.7K Life & Family
  • 247.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure