PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Zone 3 - wheres the catch?

Options

Comments

• Lunchbox
    Options
    Found a price list. Some units have details of floor number and sq ft, others not: http://www.fraser.uk.com/new-development/residential-for-sale-in-hanger-lane-ealing-w5/11434

A 1 bed on the 4th floor, 493 sq ft is £420k, no indication whether internally or externally facing.
  • AdrianC
    AdrianC Posts: 42,189 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Lunchbox wrote: »
    Found a price list. Some units have details of floor number and sq ft, others not: http://www.fraser.uk.com/new-development/residential-for-sale-in-hanger-lane-ealing-w5/11434

A 1 bed on the 4th floor, 493 sq ft is £420k, no indication whether internally or externally facing.
    If we cba, we could cross-reference the floor areas to the brochure I linked to up there, and the floorplans.

Interesting that that's only 27 flats listed, of the 269 in the block - and the two studio "suites" have already sold (Crashy will tell us that it's Fake News in a minute). £241k and £260k... Service charge on a typical 1-bed is £2,300/yr, over £3,500 on a 2-bed.
  • Cornucopia
    Cornucopia Posts: 16,156 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    AdrianC wrote: »
    Interesting that that's only 27 flats listed, of the 269 in the block...
    Fairly typical for "new" builds - they release the plots gradually over time, with the advantages of matching a build schedule, and also avoiding having too many on the market at the same time (and thereby possibly depressing the price).
    Service charge on a typical 1-bed is £2,300/yr, over £3,500 on a 2-bed.
    That's not that uncommon for properties with lifts, concierge, etc.
  • zagubov
    zagubov Posts: 17,886 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    boliston wrote: »
    looking at those plans there seem to be a lot of flats that face a "void" - a sort of lightwell inside the development! I have been in cheap hotels where you get this but it would be quite depressing living with a lightwell and no view.

Got to say that would make me think I was living in one of LA's depressing tenements as in Blade Runner. :(
    There is no honour to be had in not knowing a thing that can be known - Danny Baker
  • boliston
    boliston Posts: 3,012 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Cornucopia wrote: »

That's not that uncommon for properties with lifts, concierge, etc.

Pity there are not more buildings WITHOUT lifts - I quite like going up and down stairs and they are a good way of keeping fit! One of my pet annoyances is hotels that make it difficult to use the stairs - the lifts are always right next to the reception area and to find the stairs takes some detective work.
  • Lummoxley
    Options
    Lunchbox wrote: »
    There is a development in the nearby old Hoover building which is much pricier, but is a sealed building with no opening windows and built in ventilation system, which would also totally put me off.

Funnily enough I was only talking about the Hoover building the other day where I opined that converting old commercial buildings leaves a number of sealed units.

The fashion round here now is for new build larger blocks of flats on smaller footprints to have a large central 1st floor "garden" area above parking. This is fine if only 4 or 5 stories but I can see London going the way of high rises I've seen in Egypt & China where you have a small central area on a 10 or 15 storey building just to allow windows for all flats. Grim.
  • AdrianC
    AdrianC Posts: 42,189 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    boliston wrote: »
    Pity there are not more buildings WITHOUT lifts - I quite like going up and down stairs and they are a good way of keeping fit! One of my pet annoyances is hotels that make it difficult to use the stairs - the lifts are always right next to the reception area and to find the stairs takes some detective work.
    They will all have stairs, as well as lifts. It's simply a question of how much effort you're willing to put into finding them, and how pretty they are.

To expect a 9-storey building, such as this, to not have lifts is a bit unrealistic - and would probably fall foul of disability legislation. But two lifts for 270 flats does mean that the stairs are likely to get a fair bit of use...
  • Doozergirl
    Doozergirl Posts: 33,813 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    edited 13 September 2017 at 7:20AM
    Options
    lisyloo wrote: »
    We currently rent in zone1, but I don't think we could afford to buy anything in zone1, so would need to move a little further out.
    I personally would not want a commute of over 1 hour, currently one of us has a commute of 5 mins, but accept we can't minimise both commutes.

I don't think there is a lot below £350K in zone 1 or 2 that's acceptable to live in i.e. I don't want to be mugged, live next door to a crack den or asked "how much" every time I walk out the door.

My husband rented a flat Whilst working in London, all of 100 yards from the A40 in East Acton. We have a home elsewhere.

He was walking alone and set upon, simply for fun, by group of young men. One had a piece of wood and OH has the scars on his head.

There's nothing nice about living next to the A40, that far out. Stuff happens all over but that road is the most congested road and the Hanger Lane area the worst for it. It's bad enough being sat in it on a regular basis. Your lungs will be screaming for air. It's the land of HMOs and Social Housing lining the side of the road because no one with money wants to live there.
    Everything that is supposed to be in heaven is already here on earth.
  • lisyloo
    lisyloo Posts: 29,615 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Thank you. I'm not going to look at these for various reasons, but have learnt a lot.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure