Six nights in Vienna - a nightmare to plan - help

Comments

• andygb
    andygb Posts: 14,631 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    OK, thanks for the replies folks, but I started out wanting to book a hotel/flight combination from one of the well known sites - Expedia, Tripadvisor, Lastminute etc.

The hotel side of it was easy, but the flight matching resulted in for example, flying out from Luton and returning to Southend/Gatwick/Stanstead. Thta IMO is no use to man nor beast. I tried lots of different combinations (dates) but it was then coming up with longer flights/changes - again no good.
    There are as someone correctly pointed out, hundreds of flights to Vienna from London airports, but it seems that they are a bit "random", unless you want to fork out "top dollar" prices - which I am not prepared to do.
  • andygb
    richardw wrote: »
    What sort of hassle ?

Richard, if you look at your suggestion in an earlier post, the outward and inward flights involved different airposts in the UK - no good to me at all, as I shall be driving to and from the airport.
  • jpsartre
    jpsartre Posts: 4,085 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    andygb wrote: »
    OK, thanks for the replies folks, but I started out wanting to book a hotel/flight combination from one of the well known sites - Expedia, Tripadvisor, Lastminute etc.

Eurowings is £160 from (and back to) STN on your dates. Can be booked on Expedia as part of a flight/hotel deal.

Lastminute is not reputable and Tripadvisor will refer you to plenty of dodgy travel sites. If you insist on booking from a 3rd party stick to Expedia or Ebookers.
  • richardw
    richardw Posts: 19,458 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    edited 12 September 2017 at 8:33AM
    easyJet fly non stop direct from Luton to Vienna four times per week on Mon, Thur, Fri, Sun, pick which days you want to travel and have a hassle free trip.

If you need to stick to your dates check flight+hotel on Ba.com and Expedia from LHR, or the STN option as suggested.
    Posts are not advice and must not be relied upon.
  • andygb
    jpsartre wrote: »
    Eurowings is £160 from (and back to) STN on your dates. Can be booked on Expedia as part of a flight/hotel deal.

Lastminute is not reputable and Tripadvisor will refer you to plenty of dodgy travel sites. If you insist on booking from a 3rd party stick to Expedia or Ebookers.

Thanks for that, There was no sign of that when I searched on Expedia, I reckon they must change from day to day.
    I must admit that I have never booked a holiday through Lastminute or Tripadvisor before (Have used Booking.com and places like Thomson and Thomas Cook).
    That price is pretty good as well.
  • mgdavid
    mgdavid Posts: 6,705 Forumite
    why book as a package? - just DIY
    The questions that get the best answers are the questions that give most detail....
  • andygb
    mgdavid wrote: »
    why book as a package? - just DIY

Thanks, that is what I have always done before, but recently been advised otherwise.
    Most of the trips I have done abroad to Europe, just involved me and the OH booking the crossing, and turning up somewhere and going for it - haggling.
    To be honest, I think that is the still the best way, particularly as we are out of season.
    I think we may do this.
    I do the driving, and the OH uses her haggling skills (Which are quite impressive).
  • wazza99
    wazza99 Posts: 370 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    You could fly to Bratislava, use that as a base and go by train to Vienna, two cities in one :-) cheap and only an hour by train. Mayby flighst to Brat' are cheaper we paid £39.99 return last year.
  • Voyager2002
    Voyager2002 Posts: 15,281 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    wazza99 wrote: »
    You could fly to Bratislava, use that as a base and go by train to Vienna, two cities in one :-) cheap and only an hour by train. Mayby flighst to Brat' are cheaper we paid £39.99 return last year.

Yes. Note that the airport that Ryanair calls 'Vienna' is actually Bratislava.

Oh: and you can get between the two cities by river-boat as well if you don't fancy the train.
  • What is your budget?

BA fly from Heathrow and a week on those dates with a hotel starts from £445 pp.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure