Paint idea for a room?

Hi, all.
I went to B&Q the other day for a white or off paint and was over whelmed by the amount of choice selection of different brand (Leyland, dulux, valspar, crown etc) and finishes (matt, soft sheen, silk). I had read that dulux white cotton is the closest to white but not white so bought a tester but when applied to a wallpaper it was like no paint was applied. Now, I am getting my interior designer cap on and want to play with different colours.

My idea is a turquoise blind for the window, with dulux luscious lime or turquoise foe the features wall. Apparently lime and turquoise go well with warm or bright white.

I thought about pure brilliant white as according to dulux decoration idea site luscious lime compliment pure brilliant white but I have read somewhere where review suggest that pure brilliant white is not white or that it is a rubbish paint when applied to wall.

My questionson are:
Would it be a good or bad idea to paint a room pure brilliant white ?
What are some white or close to white that will be considered as white or warm white?
What is the difference between pure brilliant white or brilliant white?

White finish is better out of matt, soft sheen and silk?

Comments

• Tom99
    Tom99 Posts: 5,371
    First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Ivory Matt
  • rach_k
    rach_k Posts: 2,234
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    Are you sure you want a feature wall, particularly in such a contrasting colour to the rest? It's very 1990s 'Changing Rooms'! I think two walls one colour and the rest another can look nice if the colours aren't too dissimilar but with the colours you're mentioning it may look quite dated straight away, which would be a shame if you're going to all the faff of decorating.

As for white, I think you just need to get some tester pots of different shades and put them on your wall. The light changes how it looks so what looks nice in my house, to my eyes, might look hideous to you in your house.

I like matt for walls and satin for woodwork.
  • Ibl0010
    Ibl0010 Posts: 42 Forumite
    Actually the luscious lime will be used to make stripes so not so much all wall feature wall.
  • you haven't said if the room is north/ south facing? as this will play a large part in the colour looking right!

South facing - keep light & bright / white
    North - Keep dark as the shadows will not be seen as will merge into the colour.
  • Ibl0010
    Ibl0010 Posts: 42 Forumite
    Hi, pollyannaL. I have downloaded a compass app and pointed it in the direction of my room window and it appears that it is a south facing room.

Yes, my aim is to keep the room bright and light.
  • rach_k wrote: »
    Are you sure you want a feature wall, particularly in such a contrasting colour to the rest? It's very 1990s 'Changing Rooms'! I think two walls one colour and the rest another can look nice if the colours aren't too dissimilar but with the colours you're mentioning it may look quite dated straight away, which would be a shame if you're going to all the faff of decorating.

As for white, I think you just need to get some tester pots of different shades and put them on your wall. The light changes how it looks so what looks nice in my house, to my eyes, might look hideous to you in your house.

I like matt for walls and satin for woodwork.

This sounds about right.
  • Jonesya
    Jonesya Posts: 1,824
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Personally I hate all white rooms, they look cold and a bit clinical.

I always thought there was an art to picking room colour schemes, so I bought a book on interior design for a couple of quid, and actually once you understand the colour wheel and a few principles, it's pretty simple to come up with a decent colour scheme.

Here's a good starter:
    http://www.sophierobinson.co.uk/how-to-choose-the-right-colours-for-interior-design/

http://www.tigercolor.com/color-lab/color-theory/color-theory-intro.htm
  • Your right about what you ssid about all white Jonesya, this is why I want to add other colours like a turquoise blinds and luscious lime. My issue now is finding the right white as there so many. I mean you have pure brilliant white, just brilliant white retail paint and then trade contract etc. Add to know white is pure white. I have story of people using pure brilliant white and they said it's not as white as they thought.
  • Doozergirl
    Doozergirl Posts: 33,763
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    edited 10 September 2017 at 8:21AM
    Pure brilliant white is definitely as white as you get.

Where have you got this idea of colour scheme from? Have you thought about looking at Pinterest for some colourful inspiration? There's thousands upon thousands of ideas and if you had some inspirational pictures to work with then you could attempt to colour match from those instead of trying to guess.

You say you've got your interior designer's hat on, but I fear you've accidentally borrowed a hat from a primary school child. I'm a great believer in having what you want, but it sounds frightening naive.

If you type "turquoise lime green" into Pinterest you will get images, including colour palettes that might help sophisticate your ideas. My old Sanderson lounge wallpaper features in there, so I'm not against the colours.

Paint is the easiest thing to choose. Finding a cushion or bedlinen to get colour matched at the paint counter in store helps give a sense of cohesiveness, although you'll need a full range of texture and print to make it look designed.
    Everything that is supposed to be in heaven is already here on earth.
  • when choosing the colour of paint , I make sure it matches the colour of the flooring / furniture / curtains etc.
    With white or off white , the good thing is it goes with just about anything imho. No matter what picture you put up or what colour furniture you have.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.3K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.7K Life & Family
  • 247.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure