Anybody Done LGV Training Recently?

http://www.clear-stone.co.uk/

Anybody used the above firm recently?
These people tried to hard sell me their product after I filled in their on-line form out of curiousity and then tried to get my card details even if all I gave them was a small deposit.
I refused as they were the first people I was approaching, even though they would guarantee me a job after I passed as they were a recruiting firm too.

In my job I drive seven days a week using a marked Vauxhall Corsa company vehicle and a personal car for out of hours personal usage so I would describe myself as being highly experienced but it did take me 8 attempts to get my domestic so naturally these driving tests would make me nervous.

I have contacted other LGV schools and spoken to some lorry drivers, most of whom are veterans. Most admit driving a lorry is not easy but I am still curious.
Other schools break things down and make you do the work with their guidance something that would suit me nicely rather than splashing out £1000 and hoping for the best.

More to the point I believe I should go part time with my entitlement to drive a 7.5 ton to gain experience before going for the bigger stuff.
I hear now you need to apply for a separate licence to drive a 7.5 ton. Here's to another kind of hidden tax.

Any ideas?
I earn £20 000 through bonuses and overtime and have no travel expenses potentially saving me £2000 a year.
My investment could increase my salary up to £25K.
:beer:
:mad: If you are angry about something, let it be known....... :wall:
:oIf I fail to thank you individually, I am sorry. Your advice was appreciated but may not have been 100% the result I was after.

Comments

• Quinny_2
    Quinny_2 Posts: 1,351 Forumite
    As a Class 1 HGV driver,I'll give you one piece of advice................

DON'T DO IT.

Unless you like long hours,being away from home,not being able to arrange anything because you don't know when your going to be back,being treated like a second class citizen by society,etc etc.

Ken.
    That's my mutt in the picture above.
  • Thanks for the advice Quinny.
    Actually I am pretty hardened to long working hours, love travelling distances (preferably at somebody else's expense ;) ), what else?
    Society - they are suckers anyway!!
    Home predictability - give and take.

What I am after right now is to aim for the C Class or HGV2 to you.
    Rules have changed since I last passes my driving test which took me 8 attempts.
    I will not be using Clearstones.

What I'd like to know is whether or not agencies would take on somebody like me without the theory part and no experience of driving a 7.5 ton truck as my licence allows me to. I passed my test before Jan 97 and am aiming to make further enquiries.

Plan as of now is to get medicals done and hopefully the theory unless I can land myself a part-time weekend job as a 7.5 tonner for general practice.
    I hear drivers are in demand.
    :oIf I fail to thank you individually, I am sorry. Your advice was appreciated but may not have been 100% the result I was after.
  • Quinny_2
    Quinny_2 Posts: 1,351 Forumite
    For any agency to take you will need the class of licence,that you want to work with.As you passed your test before Jan 97,then your 7.5t licence will suffice.

You won't however,be able to drive a larger vehicle,until you've passed the relevant test.

Now the down side........

There isn't a great demand for 7.5t drivers,via agencies.That's not to say that there aren't any agencies that do use them,it's just without a full LGV entitlement, (Class 1) you're limiting your saleability.

And as for a demand for drivers in general,well,remember we have our Eastern European cousins that will do the job cheaper than home grown labour,so while this is the case,the demand is not as great as you think.

As a Class 1 agency driver myself,I do a good job for my agency's customers,so I get asked for by name,which has kept me pretty busy in January,even though it is usually the quiet period until about March.

Ken.
    That's my mutt in the picture above.
  • A friend reminded me of the Yugoslavs that were due here soon due to EU legislature.

Hmmm, you've just answered the questions I was going to ask two driving schools tomorrow - little hope if any for medium size lorry drivers (might still ask regardless).

No rush as I have a job that involves lots of driving that I enjoy anyway - just want to see if I can fulfil my childhood dream b4 I get too old.

Cheers.
  • mrbadexample
    mrbadexample Posts: 10,805
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Photogenic
    Forumite
    Mr_Vincent wrote:

More to the point I believe I should go part time with my entitlement to drive a 7.5 ton to gain experience before going for the bigger stuff.
    I hear now you need to apply for a separate licence to drive a 7.5 ton. Here's to another kind of hidden tax.

Forget when you passed your test, it's not relevant. What's important is your entitlement. To drive a 7½ tonne vehicle, you require class C1 on your licence. As long as you have that, you should be fine, and should be able to obtain work through an agency.
    If you lend someone a tenner and never see them again, it was probably worth it.
  • hi i am in the same sort off boat! my dad is a lorry driver and has been for many many years. i have always wanted to do it to! right here's my problem i am 21years old have a bad credit score so i cannot seem to get any financial help. currently stuck in a dead end job earning £5.50 an hour which i need to support my two kids and girlfriend with. Help!! anyone!?!
  • Mr_Vincent
    Mr_Vincent Posts: 256
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Different actually.........

I don't have any lorry driving relatives.
    Yeah, you could say I have a dead end job too but it pays more than you.

I am 34,
    single,
    live in rented accomodation.

Apart from the children, you are in a better position than I am as far as I am concerned - that is if you and your father are like the best of friends as some families are not.

It's the need to study for the damned thing that is killing me with me having so many other pursuits to distract me.
    I also do not drive large vehicles for work purposes.

Looking for a fun way to motivate me.
  • i don't really talk to my dad anymore had a falling out a while back but i remeber as a kid driving around europe in his truck. all i really wanna know is DOES ANY1 KNOW WHERE I CAN GET FINANCIAL HELP TOWARDS TAKING MY TESTS etc. cheers
  • apparently not.
  • scbk
    scbk Posts: 1,216
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    If you're in scotland you can get up to £200 to do goods vehicle training, my brother did his test a few months back (cannae mind which category though)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure