Virgin Media retention deals (post your haggling successes)

Comments

• c_smith
    c_smith Posts: 379 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Mr_Benn wrote: »
    I am currently with Sky, but due to costs , and a better looking package, I may switch to Virgin. I am happy with the Sky product , TV is good, HD good, broadband always connects. But the Virgin offer is cheaper than my Sky will currently offer, and will give me BT Sport, Films and another box.

My slight concern is the number of posts Ive seen about how poor the Virgin TV actually is. Would anybody like to share their good experiences with Virgin to counter balance this ?

Thanks in advance.

To be fair, the TV service is very good. I don't think there are just as many channels as you get with an equivalent SKY package, Sky Atlantic being one of them, but on the whole, it's reliable with a great selection of HD content (on the XL package anyway). The On Demand stuff can be a pain in the butt at times, occasionally I've had error messages telling me to try again later, but this doesn't happen very often.
  • liviboy
    liviboy Posts: 544 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 1 September 2016 at 2:48PM
    c_smith wrote: »
    That's a very good deal. Does that include any talk packages with the phone, and is it standard broadband or fibre?

Unfortunately it's only standard broadband. Whilst my cabinet has been upgraded by BT apparently the line is too long (annoying as I can see the cabinet from my house, apparently the actual cable takes a long road for a shortcut).

Landline is Talk Weekends and Evenings.

Should add that this deal was done via online chat with a bloke in India (had a fab chat about the monsoon that was going on outside whilst he was at work) and for the first time with an overseas chat person I found it excellent - non copied-and-pasted scripts, a sense of humour and he appeared to be only dealing with me at the time instead of Virgin who deal with up to 8 different chatters at the same time.
  • Dipak
    Dipak Posts: 212 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 28 September 2016 at 1:48PM
    Called VM disconnection today to give my notice. Currently i have:

70MB BB
    M+TV
    XL anytime phone package

i pay £62.48 p/m.

Shopped around today and using uswitch i found a deal with Sky which offers

Fibre unlimited speeds range from 60.7mb to 78.6mb
    Anytime phone (inc free calls to any mobile, 0870 and 0845)
    TV boxset bundle with offers over 300 channels

Sky deal is £36.31 for 12 months.

Called VM and best they could do is give me a £1 discount and £30 off my next months bill but they would tie me into another 12 month. I declined and waiting a call from VM.......Does the Sky deal look like a good deal? as it thought it was but only downside being i compromise on the BB speed as no one can beat VM with that.
  • chib
    chib Posts: 537 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Home Insurance Hacker!
    Looks like a great deal to me.

We are 4 months into a 12 month contract with Virgin now and pay £45 a month for 200MB/XL/Evening phone. In two months the price increases to £76 a month for six months when we will then be able to leave or negotiate a new package.

I'm considering taking this opportunity of finding a new deal with Sky but my wife is complaining about us constantly switching.
  • liviboy
    Well just had my phone call from VM Retentions!

He had the cheek to offer the package that I wanted originally.

Told him he was a day too late , having ordered from Sky - he kept harking on about V6 but refused to detail any pricing, so it was a no go from the outset.

He didn't exactly seem keen to keep me and think he could tell I wasn't bluffing my cancellation.

I expressed my disappointment that despite the fact I gave VM my budget, that it linked completely to the current selling price of the package and had been completely honest, that I was still forced to actually give notice before they even considered my request.

So hi-Ho it's off to Sky we go.
  • liviboy wrote: »
    Well just had my phone call from VM Retentions!
    Hi Liviboy. How long into your 1 month cancellation period did they ring?
    Feb £22,608, Weight 18st, 2 x cards, 2 x loans.
  • liviboy
    letmefree wrote: »
    Hi Liviboy. How long into your 1 month cancellation period did they ring?

They tried to get me about 4 days after my cancellation but was out - they called the next day but I missed as I was stuck in traffic.

They then waited a couple of days before giving me a call yesterday - missed me but got my wife and she asked them to call between 6 and 7 which they then did.
  • Mr_Benn
    Mr_Benn Posts: 307 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Called Virgin back yesterday , having been offered a package last week. I was annoyed that despite being told it was reserved , they then started to say part of it isn't now available. (eg Netflix free for 6 months)
    The offer is for £50 per month for 12 months, but then shoots up to about £100 for the remaining 6 months. 9tho she said I can change the package then ) I have asked about
    My mate had the same deal, and rang them after the initial 12 months , and managed to get the same £50 for a fixed for another 12 months.
    Just wonder if others have managed to do anything similar ?
  • chib
    chib Posts: 537 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Home Insurance Hacker!
    Just wanted to share with you guys the experience I've just had with Virgin and Sky.

Four months ago we switched from Sky to VM. Paying £45 a month for 6 months then £73 a month for the second 6 months of the 12 month contract. Confirmed it'll go up to £76 a month with the recent increase. We're 4 months into the 12 month contract now and they offered if we renew for another 12 months today it'll only be £69 a month. (XL TV/200MB BBI/Evening Phone)

I called Sky having only left them 4 months ago and enquiried about Sky Q. They came back with some silly offers and then I got them down to the package below for £54 a month for 12 months on a 12 month contract. Meaning on the 11th month I'll be able to keep the 12 month discount on.

Sky Q 2TB Box with 4K
    Box Sets Package (All channels, box sets, no sports/movies)
    Sky Q Mini Box for Bedroom (Looks great)
    Anytime Calls to Landline and Mobile
    Fibre Broadband (It's about 45MB - good for us)

Happy with the outcome, overall I'm happy paying about £50 a month for our package and by being able to cancel the Virgin with no penalty I've saved us six months at the higher rate.
  • Mr_Benn
    Mr_Benn Posts: 307 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    chib wrote: »

Happy with the outcome, overall I'm happy paying about £50 a month for our package and by being able to cancel the Virgin with no penalty I've saved us six months at the higher rate.

Is that because the second of your 6 months the price is meant to rise from what was originally quoted ?
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback