Wed 26 Nov - What small DFW things will you do today?

When we start out on the DFW trail we do loads of "big stuff" that makes quite a difference to our situation. These include having our lightbulb moment, cutting up the credit cards and cancelling Sky and the gym .

But once we have done the bigger stuff, we often feel that we are not making the same amount of progress, when in fact the small steps are helping us form good financial habits and helping us get closer everyday to staying in control and becoming debt free, or staying debt free.

Examples could be hanging washing out instead of using the tumble dryer or leaving your purse/wallet at home to avoid the risk of spending.

So be proud of those small steps, they really are important :money:
Goodreads 2024 Challenge: 30/80
Goodreads 2023 Challenge: 77/52

Comments

• ziggy2407
    ziggy2407 Posts: 4,077 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Good Morning All

Hi to all of the regulars and a BIG welcome to all the newbies, this is a really FAB thread with so many lovely, caring, considerate and supportive people. Don't forget we also have a small things on Facebook, if anyone wishes to join.

Well the plumber turned up and seems to have solved the problem but another £10 (it appeared that the factory settings on the thermostat could be affected by anyone local having the same wireless thermostat :o), Here's to another good day:

Check Christmas present list -
    Chicken casserole in slow cooker -
    Collect items ordered for mum -
    Claim vouchers from Ristorante (pizzas) -
    Check Banks -
    Check swapits -
    Re-list couple of things on FB -
    Continue purge on emails -
    Packed lunch for DH & DS - Done
    Enter a few comps -
    All meals from cupboards/fridge/freezer -
    Check https://www.freepostcodelottery.com - Remember there are now 3 chances to win
    Check Birthday Bingo -
    Craft -

Have a great day,love to you all

C x
    Goodreads 2024 Challenge: 30/80
    Goodreads 2023 Challenge: 77/52

• stiltoncheese
    stiltoncheese Posts: 351 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Debt-free and Proud!
    edited 26 November 2014 at 10:11AM
    Morning Ziggy and anyone who follows

My list is a bit lame today really, but it's better than nothing.

1. NSD
    2. No using any petrol.
    3. Check online banking
    4. Update YNAB and spreadsheet
    5. B/L/D from stores/menu planner
    6. 3 more hours overtime tonight, then that's it for this week (will have done 9 hours for the week).
    7. Joined Free postcode lottery after seeing it in Ziggy's post above

That's it. I don't have enough washing to make a load up and don't have anything else to do really. Might read a few more challenges/diaries for some more inspiration
    [FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]D[FONT=&quot]ebt free since May 2015[/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot][/FONT][/FONT]
  • twiggy86
    twiggy86 Posts: 2,137 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Morning all!

I'm super chirpy today as yesterday was payday so it's great to see those debts moving in the right direction and I must say I'm very impressed with myself! :j (See Bobarella - I am kind to myself sometimes!)

Today I have/will:-
    1. Check banks
    2. Lunch from home
    3. Fill water bottle up at work

4. Taken some spaghetti bolognaise out the freezer for dinner tonight
    5. Earn 100 SBs
    6. Earn £1 on OnePoll
    7. Sort out washing on airer - yes its back again!
    8. Must find out paperwork to cancel phone insurance!
    9. Make voucher to go in with my mum's xmas present
    10. Wrap mum's xmas present
    11. Decide what to get everyone else!
    12. Charge phone in the evening rather than leave it on overnight
    13. Light candles again tonight - super cosy last night and saves electricity!
    Starting again..
  • foxgloves
    foxgloves Posts: 11,111 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Morning Campers,
    Today's small efforts:
    *Saved a teensy bit of energy by sharing bath tub, running heated airer overnight on cheap tariff, turning off towel radiator when towels dry, keeping downstairs heating off till 5pm & lighting my clay flower-pot room heater upstairs in my HQ to boost temperatures in there for the price of a few tea lights.
    *Made dough for bread rolls & pizza.
    *Round up fresh stuff which needs using in fridge & turn into big salad to have with tonight's pizza.
    *Make tomorrow's packed lunch & work snacks.
    *Freeze spare soup made yesterday.
    *Refuse to waste last night's cat food by not giving into cat's demand's for new food.
    *Do a few surveys. Am very close to cash-in on Ipsos.
    *Start writing Christmas cards. I am seeing people at the end of this week where having cards ready will save on postage. They can wait to open them in Dec if Nov feels too early (which it is, but even 2nd class post stacks up now on a bundles of cards).
    *Continue knitting gift item.
    *All today's leisure time =free: Knitting, reading library book, watching a recorded TV series, blogging & if the rain stops, going for a walk.
    Have a good day, all.
    f x
    "For each of our actions there are only consequences" (James Lovelock)"For in the true nature of things......every green tree is far more glorious than if it were made of gold & silver" (Martin Luther King Jnr)
  • Bobarella
    Bobarella Posts: 10,824 Forumite
    Savvy Shopper! I've been Money Tipped!
    Hi All
    Thank you for starting the thread Ziggy. Really glad your plumbing issues have not proven too costly. Fingers crossed that is it now.
    Stilton -Oye! No saying your list is lame ok! I will be adding you to my Twiggy 'stop being harsh to yourself' icon
    Twiggy -Well done! And for being cheery :)
    Foxgloves - Well done on holding out on your cheeky kitty. They will eat when they are hungry.

Me today.
    1) Worked 6 hours, got fed lunch & coffees
    2) Found 1p. Spent it in the self service check out when doing my £10 essentials stock up.
    3) Used a double points coupon in Sains.
    4) We all had leftover lasagne for dinner. I had specifically cooked too many boiled potatoes too so I could slice them & roast them quickly for side dish tonight.
    5) Found YS pork chops for £1.60, will be making a stew tommorow night using the YS veg stock pack I purchased for 25p yesterday.
    6) Have signed up for Zipcar instead of buying a new car. We are excited about how this will work for us. Because Im a company director they were able to offer me a really good annual rate too, & the daily driving costs are all much lower & I can claim the VAT back as well. The nearest car is less than 10mins walk away from us too.
    7) No heating on but I have agreed we can turn it on for 1 hour a day after December 1st. We are starting to get condensation even with windows open and I dont want that. Actual temp is very mild in London today.
    8) Checked banking. Havent recieved new wages yet...hoping not long now.
    9) May not sound MS but bare with me. Have decided to give son £6 a month for pocket money. He had a choice. £1 a week or £6 a month, and he chose the latter. We both want to start teaching him that once money is gone, its gone, & feel he will take the lesson more seriously with his own funds. We'll see.

Think thats me!

Bob
    " Your vibe attracts your tribe":D

Debt neutral :) 27/03/17 from £40k:eek: in the hole 2012.
    Roadkill 17 £56.58 2016-£62.28 2015- £84.20)
    RYSAW17 £1900 2016 £2,535.16 2015 £1027.20
  • DawnW
    DawnW Posts: 7,440 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Evening all :)

Late post today as it was grandma day :)

Came back at about 5, quick tea and out to collect a bed I had bought second hand on FB. It is a single with another single underneath that springs up when you pull it out iyswim, to make either another single or put together for a king size bed. At the moment we have a double bed in the spare room, and my 7 and 4 year old granddaughters will not go to sleep in it when they come to stay. Hopefully when they next visit they will be good at bedtime, to make the expense worth it! I got all the bedding and single duvets included, and can recoup some of the cost by selling the double bed (which we have had for years) but is quite a nice metal / brass one. DD2 has bagged the mattress, so will have to sell it without, but I didn't buy it with a specific mattress, any one will do.

So not a very MSE day for me again today :o

Small list:
    Checked banks
    Only spent on the bed, no other spends
    Meals from stores
    Heating on timer only in bathroom, airing cupboard and loft conversion, woodburner not lit till 5pm
    Washing on airer and fireguard - we have one of those nursery ones and it is fab for drying washing when the woodburner is lit :D
    Used water boiled in kettles on top of the woodburner for the washing up and a cuppa :D
    Did a pinecone survey, but not one that you get paid for I don't think - 'household questions'. Still, I have been a member for so long that when it is a paid one I get £4, so can't moan.

Hope everyone has had a good day :)
  • DD265
    DD265 Posts: 2,202 Forumite
    Homepage Hero First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Hi everybody

I managed a NSD today so pleased with that. I've been to the gym, done my steps (doing 10,000 a day for a works challenge) washed up and put some washing in.

I'm planning to put some more washing in and finish the next stage on my craft project tonight.

My expenses and payment from Quidco hit my bank account so the balance looks rather healthy for two days before pay day, but my plan is that everything left in the account before the wages go in gets paid off a credit card. Looking forward to it :)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure