IMPORTANT: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information (both your own and that of others). When uploading images, please take care that you have redacted all personal information including QR codes, number plates and reference numbers.

PCN - Stopped to drop off passenger at bus stop

I have received a PCN from London Borough of Hounslow stating that i have contravened "(47) STOPPED ON A RESTRICTED BUS STOP OR STAND".

I just stopped at a bus stop to drop a friend, didnt wait. literally just stopped, he got out and i drove off. In the picture you can see my car steering right and my right signal on to confirm i am moving off.

I couldnt belive it and wondering if there is anything i can do, surely this must be allowed. Also note this is not a red line zone.

Can someone point me in the right direction on how i can appeal and what i can do.

Greatly Appreciated.

Comments

• Crabman
    Crabman Posts: 9,943
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Intrepid Forum Explorer
    Forumite
    Hello ish, could you take a look at the welcome sticky on the main board and upload the PCN accordingly, so someone can take a look? :)
  • robredz
    robredz Posts: 1,602 Forumite
    You are on a sticky wicket here as only a bus can stop at a bus stop, even a taxi will get a ticket. Even police should not park or stop on a bus stop. Wardens have ticketed buses for stopping too long on a bus stop. LOL
  • Crabman
    Crabman Posts: 9,943
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Intrepid Forum Explorer
    Forumite
    robredz wrote: »
    You are on a sticky wicket here as only a bus can stop at a bus stop, even a taxi will get a ticket. Even police should not park or stop on a bus stop. Wardens have ticketed buses for stopping too long on a bus stop. LOL
    Among other things we're focusing on procedural improprieties on the PCN here, so until Neil B has had a chance to take a look it's probably best not to belittle the chances of a successful appeal.

The reason I'm posting this is because a similar comment a week or so ago caused the Appellant to panic, they paid the fine and consequently lost the right to appeal. Don't want that to happen again! :)
  • Neil_B
    Neil_B Posts: 1,360 Forumite
    Crabman wrote: »
    The reason I'm posting this is because a similar comment a week or so ago caused the Appellant to panic, they paid the fine and consequently lost the right to appeal. Don't want that to happen again! :)

Well said Sir!

Unfortunately I can't be of much help in this instance. Stopping on a bus stand/stop is a contravention at all times. For info though, unless an additional restriction applies, then, contrary to what someone said above, a taxi can.

A couple of minor errors on the PCN are so inconsequential they are of no use.

I could post similar to some we have seen on here and say - 'don't be stupid, of course you can't stop on a bus stop' - but I can't cos i suddenly realised that only a few months ago, before getting clued up, I would have also thought it was the most sensible place to stop!

The only possibilities remaining are failures of signage and road markings for the bus stop itself. Not unknown but would need pics.
    -
  • Did the bus stop have the appropriate sign such as one of these

http://www.opsi.gov.uk/si/si2002/023113aj.gif

Many stops fail to have the appropriate sign accompanying the road marking so it's worth checking.
  • ish wrote: »
    I have received a PCN from London Borough of Hounslow stating that i have contravened "(47) STOPPED ON A RESTRICTED BUS STOP OR STAND".

I just stopped at a bus stop to drop a friend, didnt wait. literally just stopped, he got out and i drove off. In the picture you can see my car steering right and my right signal on to confirm i am moving off.

I couldnt belive it and wondering if there is anything i can do, surely this must be allowed. Also note this is not a red line zone.

Pay it. It's an absolute offence. Only a bus can stop in a restricted bus stop. You cannot stop there at all for any reason, even to drop someone off.
    Bielzibub
  • I would imagine the offence has been committed once you have stopped. If you were still moving even slowly when he got out (an impossibility really) you might have grounds for appeal - as it stands I think you will have to pay the fine.
  • Neil_B
    Neil_B Posts: 1,360 Forumite
    Bielzibub wrote: »
    Pay it. It's an absolute offence. Only a bus can stop in a restricted bus stop. You cannot stop there at all for any reason, even to drop someone off.

it is not an 'offence' at all.

Although the case does not look hopeful so far did you read 'Bogs'' post #7?

So much for 'money saving advice'!!
  • It's only a contravention if all the legally prescribed signs and lines are in place. Along with my other link above the sign must accompany one of these bays.

http://www.opsi.gov.uk/si/si2002/023113bd.gif

http://www.opsi.gov.uk/si/si2002/023113be.gif

http://www.opsi.gov.uk/si/si2002/023113bf.gif
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills