DistortedVision
DistortedVision Posts: 425
Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
Forumite
edited 10 September 2015 at 1:51PM in Food shopping & groceries
Official MoneySavingExpert Insert:

Check our Tassimo Deals page regularly for any offers, discounts etc

Back to the original post...

I just bought a Bosch Tassimo coffee maker from Amazon in one of the Cyber Monday lightning deals.

I knew that the discs were expensive from the outset. Pretty much like a lot of things: printer ink, Oral B brush heads, Gillette razor blades....

However, what did surprise me was that when I checked the prices direct from Tassimo's and compared them to the supermarkets and Amazon for my favourite T-discs - Tassimo was cheaper for all apart from one. Amazon was cheaper but this was based on buying 5 packs. (It worked out more expensive for all other T-discs).

I posted a request for a discount code but had no joy. I'm sure its been asked before but has anyone found a cheaper source of T-discs? I'm interested in other people's experiences of buying T-discs for their Tassimo machine.

I was talking to my sister who lives in Switzerland but is here for Christmas. She was saying Nespresso is treated as a designer brand in their stores etc in Switzerland and its like a status symbol. She said that she thinks the coffee from Tassimo which is mucher nice than Nespresso.

Comments

• However, what did surprise me was that when I checked the prices direct from Tassimo's and compared them to the supermarkets and Amazon for my favourite T-discs - Tassimo was cheaper for all apart from one.

I've had a Tassimo machine for over a year now and never seen any deals in the Supermarkets, though Tesco is my primary store so I may have missed offers in others.

For some reason, the supermarket prices have jumped up significantly for certain T-discs over the past couple of weeks.

Latte Macchiato was £3.79 in Tescos, but has now jumped up to £4.49. Asda is the same and Sainsburys have also increased to £4.28.

As you say, getting direct from Tassimo has now become competitive again as long as you spend enough for free delivery.

Apart from that, the Amazon bulk buys are usually a little cheaper.
    Dave. :wave:
  • Amazon was more expensive on all but one of the T-discs we buy and thats even with the multipack (5 packs). I knew they would be expensive but I am surprised that buying direct from Tassimo is the cheapest. Also interested in the price rises at supermarkets and this pre-dates me buying my Tassimo machine. I'm also surprised there aren't third party websites selling them at a discount. They actually seem to be most expensive on eBay!
  • TallGirl
    TallGirl Posts: 5,510
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Just a tip from me I love Latte but use normal milk and heat it in the micro wave then just use 1 expresso disk makes 1 200 ml latte much cheaper and in my opinion nicer than the UHT milk.
    Save £12k in 24 No 50
    PB Win 21 £225, 22 £275, 23 £900, Balance Feb 24 £41,650 (Wins, Jan £200 Feb £150) 
    Plan to move to Denmark for FIRE by 2028 “May your decisions reflect your hopes not your fears”
    New diary aiming for fire https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/6414795/mortgage-free-now-aiming-for-fire#latest

• Tall girl, I find that if I put a little bit of milk at the bottom of the glass or travel mug before loading up the drink to put in it, is really nice and the drink is still piping hot :)
  • jkb
    jkb Posts: 224 Forumite
    Waitrose had the Latte discs last week still at £3.90 am sure they will catch up with the other stores soon if not already and hike up their prices too. I am just searching for cheap ones too Amazone used to work out cheaper on a bulk buy for latte but not so much now I dont think.
  • Cocobear
    Cocobear Posts: 122
    First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Just a quick one to say, if you go onto Before I Shop website, you can print off coupon for free cadburys chocolate disks at Morrisons. Think it runs out on xmas day, but worth doing for some freebies. The coupon features in 2 different bits, so can be printed twice (I think that's OK anyway).
  • jkb wrote: »
    Waitrose had the Latte discs last week still at £3.90 am sure they will catch up with the other stores soon if not already and hike up their prices too.

Up to £4.05 now, but still cheaper than the rest.
    Dave. :wave:
  • rustyboy21
    rustyboy21 Posts: 2,565 Forumite
    You will most probably find that Tassimo are selling them cheaper than supermarkets, as it is beneficial to them to do so.

They wont have to pay high rebate terms and reduced cost prices to the supermarkets, so in effect , you buying from them is making them more money.

I bought all my t discs from them direct. The suchard chocolate one is lovely, the starbucks blend I thought was the nicest coffee, as I only drink, black with loads of sugar in it.

I have made my tassimo redundant now, as have bought real esspresso machine, which makes coffee so much better, illy coffee is my fave now !
  • I think theres definitely some price fixing going on by Kraft on Tassimo T-discs. I searched for a discount code for Tassimo's website but couldn't find anything. Its a shame Starbucks pulled out of Tassimo. You can't even get cashback from Qudico from Tassimo.

I actually bought the Tassimo machine completely unexpectedly in Amazon's Cyber Monday deal. I had actually already ordered a Delonghi EC152 from Amazon which arrived the next day. I haven't opened it but I've decided to keep it and use it on special occassions. Especially since I ordered lots of accessories for it and the price on Amazon has risen since I bought it. I keep the Tassimo for day to day use as I find an expresso machine too much effort for just one person.

I bought a selection of 22 different T-discs. I have to say my favourite coffee is still the first two I tried - Kenco Colombian and Carte Nore Latte Machiatto. The tea ones weren't very nice but I expected that and continue to make Twinnings English Breakfast the old fashioned way. I also now have 4 different hot chocolate T-discs: Suchard, Cadbury, Milka and Côte-d'Or. I prefer Suchard and the rest all come with a milk / creamer T-disc. I'm pretty sure the contents they are exactly the same but the bar codes are different. The Milka appears to be more frothy than the rest. Think I'll only buy the Suchard on a regular basis.
  • The Brita Maxtra filters for which are used in Tassimo machines is on offer at Tesco Direct at the moment (£6.85 for a pack of 3):

http://direct.tesco.com/q/R.100-7062.aspx

Works out much cheaper than Amazon or anywhere else. If you buy two packs thats a year's supply.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure