Childcare, Redundancy & Self Employment

Options
Hi guys,

I'm unfortunately being made redundant (well, we're in consultation at the moment but it's pretty much a forgone conclusion) and my employment will end the first week in July.

My child has been accepted for 30 hours' free childcare from September at a local term-time nursery and I really do not want to lose this, not only because of the massive learning and social benefits (we live in a small community) but also because it gives me time to bring an income in. Unfortunately, unless I get a decent-paying, full time job before September, I won't be able to self fund this.

However, I understand that if I start up a business (effectively be self employed) I can retain the 30 hours childcare for a year. I've been exploring this possibility and am confident I can bring in a very modest income.

That's the background, the main question is does anyone know whether my partner would be able to claim any tax credits based on his full time employment if I am self employed? How do I find out about things, is it just a case of calling the HRMC?

Thanks in advance

Comments

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family