New Business & Book-keeping Questions

Total 'newbie' here. Thank you for being gentle as this is my first post!

My father user to keep my books when I was last self-employed. He used a Simplex D book and always managed my finances for me. But I knew that I was not going to gain any bookkeeping experience whatsoever that way. So now, here I am, back in self-employment and effectively starting to learn the ropes all over again. Very sadly, my father is no longer around to help, so time to stand on my own two feet!

My crafting skills are good! But my numerical skills leave a lot to be desired, My little crafting businesses are very straight-forward. I sell my own hand-made products in online stores. At this stage, I don't see the need to create over-complicated accounts with detailed profit and loss forecasts, etc. so I want to keep my bookkeeping as simple as possible, including only the date of a transaction, the person or company concerned and the amount. I will be using Libe Office Calc for my bookkeeping.

I know that bookkeeping is a simple matter of keeping records of how much money comes into the business and how much goes out. I have searched this site and found lots of valuable information, however, I still have a few questions. Any help would be gratefully appreciated.

Regarding money received in my online stores: Customers make a purchase and I see the gross amount, less the seller fees. Only the nett amount goes into my bank. How would I account for this correctly? Do I include the nett amount as that is all my bank account will see? Or do I need to list the total payment and the seller fee separately? It's a small point, and maybe I could use that fee as an offset for tax purposes?

A simpler way to do this would be to enter only the weekly "Funds sent to your bank account" amount, lumping all the week's sales together. Please don't tell me I have to list each sale, the listing number, the address of the customer, etc. It will take for ever!

Regarding fuel costs, how do I account for this? Just include a weekly mileage figure? I have to travel to buy stock, sometimes 200 mile round trips. I had a 160 mile round trip to buy stock the other day and this works out at £72 allowances. That seems a lot to me when I only put £20 of diesel in my car. I don't understand what I am to do with this.

I believe you can have up to £4 per day meal allowance too if you are on the road for your business? Is this correct? How do I account for this in my bookkeeping?

Sorry, probably very simple questions, but this fills me with dread!

Comments

• Savvy_Sue
    Savvy_Sue Posts: 46,014 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    If you've still got any of your previous accounts in your Dad's Simplex books, I'd take a good look at that and see if you can make sense of it. Maybe transfer some of it into Calc, do some totalling and see what you can work out.
    Signature removed for peace of mind
  • Thank you SO much for your responses. Really appreciated.

I feel slightly guilty as I am suddenly unable to reply in detail as I have to go away for a few days.

Thank you for the links to the gov.uk website - I was unaware of this particular information regarding simplified expenses, etc. It's all new to me and I need some time to digest this, but it is encouraging to see such a lot of useful information on this site.

My memory has been jogged a little after reading those terms 'credit' and 'debit'. I can't say that it's *all* coming back to me, but I remember some of this.

For now, I am just sorry that this will have to be a quick reply. When I return home next week I will take a closer look at the information, but I am extremely grateful to for taking the time to write such a detailed and helpful response.

Best regards.

John.
  • John_In_Lincs
    John_In_Lincs Posts: 60 Forumite
    I am back home now and my life has changed. I will have to start a new thread, but my wife has left me. I am now on my own, severely depressed and I don't know where to turn. I don't have any close friends and it's possible that my business will fold. My wife used to help with a few things and I don't know if I could manage everything on my own.

I will start a new thread because my questions may not be about bookkeeping anymore, but on advice on how to survive as I have no money. I am in debt and I have had to say goodbye to the car.

Sorry if this seems like self-pity but I haven't a clue what I am going to do.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure