misstara's debt diary 2014

Comments

• misstara
    misstara Posts: 3,878 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    So got paid from monthly and weekly job today which was good. Have put aside money for rent and loan payment (unfortunately these two alone account for around 75% of my monthly wage as OH has just started working again after being off the majority of last year with health problems, he is currently working 2 mornings a week and will probably earn around 150 a month, however, as yet has not been paid). I have also put 50 pounds towards electricity bill which is due in a couple of weeks and paid around 80 pounds to credit cards (55 to cc1 and 25 to cc2)

This leaves me 100 pounds until next Friday. Will need 15.86 for my mobile phone bill, 15 for contact lens appointment and probably 15 for bus fares. I also need to book bus/train tickets for going to Edinburgh next month - will research cheapest tomorrow. Also have 4 birthdays coming up in next 3 weeks so will need to look for some bargain presents.

Spends today are 6.50 on TV licence, 35p on painkillers, 3.10 on milk and sugar and 70p on a chocolate bar (a moment of weakness on my way home from another double shift - still it could be worse!)
    Debt Dec 2022 - £2972.68. Current debt - £0 (100% paid). Flat deposit - £10549.64/£15000 (70.3% saved). Emergency fund - £1409.88/£1500 (94% saved).
  • misstara
    Had a bit of a down day today - think its just with working so much over the past couple of days, I feel really tired and don't have any motivation. Really wanted a takeaway tonight as we quite often do the weekend after monthly payday, however, after a chat with OH, decided to make our own. Had sweet and sour pork with egg fried rice so only 2.80 spent in sainsb*rys instead of 20+ on a takeaway. Also got my favourite washing powder for 3 pounds instead of 7 so pleased with that. 10 pounds spent in poundl*nd stocking up on toiletries, between this and goodies from christmas I hopefully won't need to buy toiletries for a while.

Also booked my travel tickets for going to Edinburgh next month, came to 30.50 which was a bit more than I had anticipated. Am planning to put aside 40 pounds from my next 2 weekly wages for spending money for the weekend.

Am going to have a wee look round some websites to see if I can get some inspiration for presents for upcoming birthdays.
    Debt Dec 2022 - £2972.68. Current debt - £0 (100% paid). Flat deposit - £10549.64/£15000 (70.3% saved). Emergency fund - £1409.88/£1500 (94% saved).
  • misstara
    Up earlyish this morning and went to the gym, now off to work. Was hoping to walk to work today but it is utterly miserable here so got the bus. Spends today so far are £4 on bus fare, 70p on a paper and 69p on a baguette.
  • Hi Tara :wave:

I hope you're feeling a bit better now, sorry to hear you've been feeling down. Working a lot will do that to you! I hope you get a break soon.

Sounds like you're doing well though - well done on resisting a takeaway!

The weather has been absolutely miserable here too. Roll on summer, eh? :)
  • misstara
    Hi Tara :wave:

I hope you're feeling a bit better now, sorry to hear you've been feeling down. Working a lot will do that to you! I hope you get a break soon.

Sounds like you're doing well though - well done on resisting a takeaway!

The weather has been absolutely miserable here too. Roll on summer, eh? :)

Definitely feeling better, was just having a 'meh' day yesterday. Typically though by the time I finished work, it had completely stopped raining and I looked a right idiot getting on the bus with my wellies and massive rain jacket :rotfl:

Had a little review of my bank balance once I got home from work and made a payment of 3.82 to cc1.

With booking my tickets to Edinburgh yesterday, my phone bill due out tomorrow and the 15 pounds I need for my contact lens appointment, this leaves me around 25 pounds to do until Friday. There is plenty of food in the house so will do a meal plan for the rest of the week tomorrow. Hopefully the only money I will need for the next few days will be bus fares.
  • Morning MissTara

You sound like you are doing really well. Well done for resisting the takeaway, back in our pre-LBM life we used to have a £25-£30 takeaway every Friday night :eek:. Can't imagine spending that now, but it was so hard to get out of the habit of that lovely treat. Well done for finding a cheaper solution but still having something tasty :beer:.

Sorry to hear you were feeling low, I guess all this extra work you are doing is going to make you feel tired and run down. Just keep your reason in your head as to why you are doing it.

Actually what might help is a little piece of paper in your bag/purse listing the reasons why you are working so hard and want to be debt free. I have that and sometimes when I am out and tempted to buy something, I look at my reasons list and it reminds me why I can't buy that extra make-up etc.

Just an idea. You are doing so well, Keep going xxx
  • misstara
    Actually what might help is a little piece of paper in your bag/purse listing the reasons why you are working so hard and want to be debt free. I have that and sometimes when I am out and tempted to buy something, I look at my reasons list and it reminds me why I can't buy that extra make-up etc.

This sounds like a great idea to keep me motivated, will write out a wee list later to put in my purse.

So went through the cupboards and freezer this morning and made a meal plan for rest of the week. Will need to sit down with OH nearer to the weekend to decide what we are going to eat next week and then probably get shopping Fri or Sat.

Spends for today are 4.00 on bus fare, 0.29 on painkillers and 0.50 on a reduced loaf of nice bread to go with tea - I literally stalked the yellow sticker lady around the shop until she got to the bread section. There's still about half a loaf left so will slice it up and freeze to use for garlic bread later in the week.

Away now to tackle my ironing pile before it grows bigger than me!
  • misstara
    A NSD today so pleased with that as I really struggle to get NSDs. Was working this morning and then spent the afternoon with a friend and her wee boy which was lovely. She also fed me and gave me a lift home - bonus!

Decided to cancel my contact lens appointment on Thurs as don't think I can afford to buy contact lens just now anyway. Also to get to the appointment, I would have to get a bus and then walk for about 15 mins. With the horrible weather we've been having recently, I'd get soaked. I still have about 3 weeks worth left and if they run out before I can get more, well I'll just have to go back to wearing glasses all the time for a while.

The guy came round to read the meter so the electricity bill will come through in the next few days. Really dreading this as I admit the credit card usually was pulled out to pay for some/all of this. However, as least I have 70 pounds put by for it already and can put the 15 pounds saved from contact lens appointment.
  • Hi MissTara,

Just looking in to say hi.

Sounds like you had a nice afternoon with your friend. Kind of her to give you a lift home.

Fingers crossed the electricity bill isn't too high, well done for putting away some money for that. Great to get out of the cycle of having to pay for it with your credit card.

Good move with the eye test. Sounds like a horrible journey to have to do in miserable January. I have been doing similar with my hair lately. I can't afford £60 every 8 weeks to have my hair highlighted. So I took the plunge in December and did a home dye putting it back to brown. Now it will only be £5 every 8 weeks which is much better while I am trying to kill off the debt.

Maybe you can manage with just glasses for a while. Not sure how much contact lenses are, but if they are expensive, it might be worth avoiding them for the short-term.

Hope you are having a good day xx
  • Well done on getting a NSD! It is a nice feeling at the end of the day when you know you haven't spent a single penny :j

Also, good going on declining the contact lens appointment. It's a lot of money you can save if you can manage just with your glasses for a while. I know for a lot of people they are a necessity, but its an expense that adds up! I wear glasses constantly, luckily for me I'm that used to wearing them that I look weird without so wouldn't ever really consider contacts!

Hope you have a good day, and that electricity bill isn't too high when it arrives! x
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure