PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Do you still do the Lottery?

Options
I've done the same line since it began. Now tickets are £2 a line this is costing me £4 a week, that's £208 a year. I do not do any other form of gambling. The lotto is changing slightly now in that you choose 6 numbers from 1 to 59 thus decreasing our chances of winning the jackpot. I really want to stop but there's always that feeling of what if? And you have to be in it to win it.
I know I have more chance of winning miss world but...

Comments

• smeeth
    smeeth Posts: 578 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Perhaps just change how you think of it.. I do it when I remember but rather than thinking I will win, I like that I'm making a donation to good causes with the POSSIBLE chance of earning back enough to pay for the ticket.

It's surprised me how much of a difference 10 numbers made, from 1 in 14 million to 1 in 45 million according to the BBC.
    Anchor yourself to the foundations of everything you love.

Thank you to all those who post competitions!:beer:
  • Rainy-Days
    Rainy-Days Posts: 1,454 Forumite
    Options
    TBH the usual numbers that I have always had will becomne pretty much obselete now The Lotto by virtue of those extra ten numbers have made it allot easier for me to throw in the towel now.

I will play but it will be on lucky dips and only when it reaches rollovers, but the usual numbers will be scrapped.

I honestly do not see that Camelot have thought this through because most of us kept playing and paying the extra on the basis that our fixed numbers would come up at some point. The extra ten numbers has put paid to that!
    Cat, Dogs and the Horses are our fag and beer money :D :beer:
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I did it a couple of times when it was new/novelty .... then nothing. Then I did a couple of tickets when a friend bought some and suggested I should - won £37. Not had a go now since 2001. Total lottery spend to date's probably £10 since it started, won £37, so I'd rather "stay ahead" so to speak :)
  • Apollonia
    Apollonia Posts: 408 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Well, I just looked at the website to see what had changed. While I was there, I bought a £3 scratch card and won £40!

So I bought a £2 lotto ticket.
  • Goldiegirl
    Goldiegirl Posts: 8,805 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler Hung up my suit!
    Options
    I haven't done the lottery for a long time

At £2 a ticket and now the balls are going from 1-49 to 1-59, The odds are very low on getting a winning ticket

Sometimes I do Thunderball. It's still only £1, and the odds are better on getting a winning ticket. You only need to get a Thunderball to win £3.

We've been quite lucky on Thunderball, when we do it.
    Early retired - 18th December 2014
    If your dreams don't scare you, they're not big enough
  • Rummer
    Rummer Posts: 6,550 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Oh yes :D every Friday I get a Euromillions ticket and every Saturday I am dismayed that the winner of millions is not me :(:rotfl:
    Taking responsibility one penny at a time!
  • sparrer
    sparrer Posts: 7,547 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    I sopped doing the lottery when they doubled the price of the ticket. My DGD and I do 2 lines of the health lottery every week, the arrangement being that if we win we share the prize money. As I pay for the tickets I've told her we'll discuss how we'll split the prize money of we have a big win!
  • TravellingAbuela
    Options
    We stopped doing the lottery when it went up to £2. As we had never won anything bar the VERY occasional tenner it wasn't really a hard decision to come to! However, for the first few weeks we daren't look at the winning numbers in case we had missed out on a big win!! Now we never give it a second thought. DS does the postcode lottery as he thinks that gives you more chance of a win. I keep intending to look into it but never get on with it!
    "If you dream alone it will remain just a dream. But if we all dream together it will become reality"
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 17,413 Forumite
    First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    I have never ever bought a ticket so its not a problem.I am a total non-gambler and would rather put a pound in a charity tin .I have always said winning definitely wouldn't change my life at all as I am perfectly happy with what I have.I live in a house that's more than big enough for me, and is bought and paid for. I have food in the cupboard, and as for travel at my age I feel I have been everywhere that I want to go.

My trouble I suppose is that I am contented with what I have and have no desire to acquire anything else.

My family are all getting along with life reasonably well, and although I daresay my youngest DD could perhaps do with a bit more cash I think she is as contented as I am really. She enjoys her job and her boys are happy and healthy.

I have my health,good friends and my family close by and envy no one.From what I have seen of some of the winners they don't seem to be very happy with what they have.
  • Emm-in-a-pickle
    Options
    When the lottery first started I was part of a little syndicate at work, had regular numbers (no idea now what they were though!) After a while the novelty wore off, I dropped out and then changed jobs - but an ex-colleague used to check the numbers long after they were not being played, and I felt that wasn`t healthy.

Even before the ticket price doubled, I`ve decided that it`s really just a Tax on Optimism. Having regular numbers is a way many folks get sucked in to play every time. Charities do benefit, but nothing stopping folks donating directly to charities of their choice.
    I do occasionally buy a lucky dip, I`ve always said if I had a big win I`d have a rescue kennels, but it`s more realistic just putting an odd pound in the collection tin for our local animal rescue centre as it already exists and I know they`ll get my pound!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure