How to move forward?

I've been job hunting now for about 4 months. My hope was to try and land a role that's got more responsibilities / challenges and is hopefully a bit better paid. I want to progress with my career now I can commit to more hours.

I will continue looking and applying for such roles but there are not many about. I can go a couple of weeks and find nothing suitable. I'm not qualified in a particular field. I'm looking for customer service team leader / manager jobs.

My question is what to do in the meantime? My current job is 22 hours a week and pays 25k pro rata. I want more hours ( and money as our expenses go up in sept ) but the majority of jobs I could apply for and hopefully more easily get until my desired job happens ( customer advisor / call centre) are paying 17-22k. I' m worried this could hamper my efforts and be seen as a step backwards. Other option was stay where i am and take a second job.

Any suggestions?

Comments

• BorisThomson
    BorisThomson Posts: 1,721 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    You're far more likely to get a call centre team leader role once you're in the company and have proved yourself on the phones. If you took a pay cut but increased your hours you would come out with the same (or more) money. Do that in the short term whilst working up to promotion?
  • Be totally realistic in terms of salary acceptable as you can. I don't think nowadays you can have both. You've said before there has been such positions gone for you may turn down, please remember that in strength and maybe you aren't targeting right things for you.

The Call Centre/Customer Services Managers around my way are around 20-25 years of age.

I don't know what to suggest anymore - I'm half ways toward Property Manager at £7.50 per hour bare minimum that's around £14,650 for your average full time 37.5 hrs position at office hours only. I can honestly let you know what happen's in 3 months time. Off to do a lot of learning so maybe I can start commanding the ludicrous salaries quoted on here x
  • Fireflyaway
    Fireflyaway Posts: 2,766 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    I guess I'm worried if I go back on the phones ( which I hated after so long doing it) I might get stuck in that position. Feels like a backwards step. I have tried to improve my knowledge with various qualifications etc but just not getting anywhere. I don't want to take a pay cut or end up in a job that has less responsibility than I currently have. Maybe that's partly a pride thing though!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure