BBC Top Story. Diesel & Petrol cars banned from 2040

Comments

• agrinnall
    agrinnall Posts: 23,344 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Rush - Red Barchetta

I strip away the old debris, that hides a shining car
    A brilliant red Barchetta, from a better, vanished time
    Fire up the willing engine, responding with a roar!
    Tires spitting gravel, I commit my weekly crime…
  • n217970
    n217970 Posts: 338 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Hydrogen fuel cells are the only viable long term solution. As others have pointed out, without serious investment in electricity generation fully EV will not work, last check I think we are at about 5.5% resevere on the grid over winter. so its not like we can take any from there/

Now imagine, of the 35 million cars on the road today (so not including the increase we will see in 13 years time) half of them get home at 5.30pm and plug into the mains to recharge at 3.7kw each (a good percentage will be higher then this)

That is an extra 65GW of demand on the grid. So we need to construct another 20 Hinckley Points at £20billion each, meaning we need to find £400 billion. I suppose we could go back to coal but then we might as well as keep the petrol and diesel cars.....

Edit: Oh and that doesn't even take into account all the spent uranium we will have to do something with.
  • Herzlos
    Herzlos Posts: 14,686 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    rob7475 wrote: »
    Are we going to build new power stations to cope with all the extra electricity demands?

We're actually using slightly less electricity in general, but you are right in that a boost to EV usage will mean we'll need the additional infrastructure. It's a bit chicken and egg.

Bearing in mind we're talking about banning sales of new petrol/diesel cars in 2040, so you can still buy them in 2039 and run them easily into the 2050's.

Most manufacturers seems to be giving up on ICE vehicles anyway and putting all of their effort into EV, so you might find that there's almost no new ICE vehicles on the market in another 23 years (think what the car market looked like in 1994 to today to see how things have changed in 23 years).
  • Herzlos
    Herzlos Posts: 14,686 Forumite
    n217970 wrote: »
    Now imagine, of the 35 million cars on the road today (so not including the increase we will see in 13 years time) half of them get home at 5.30pm and plug into the mains to recharge at 3.7kw each (a good percentage will be higher then this)

But they won't - most people won't need to recharge every day and can use smart chargers to shift the load around. Half of the cars on the road don't stop at a petrol station at 5:30pm on the way home.

When you plug an EV in, you can normally set when you want it charged by, so most will charge at some point overnight. Most will probably only need charged once or twice a week.

We'll need to provide some new infrastructure, but it certainly won't be unmanageable.
  • rob7475
    rob7475 Posts: 849 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Another worrying thought.........

In 2041, when all the petrol stations have closed and Romanians are no longer allowed into the country following brexit, who's going to man all the hand car washes that will open on the old petrol station sites
  • maximania
    maximania Posts: 11 Forumite
    edited 26 July 2017 at 10:45AM
    Your fogetting that it takes a LOT of electricty to manufacture petrol.

My Average ICE will go 40mile on one gallon
    My wifes Electric car can go 20 miles on the same amount of electricty used to produce a my gallon of petrol.

The battery will easily last 100,000 miles.. Elon Musk has a tesla battery thats done 500,000 miles, easily outlasting the life of the car.

Servicing of electric cars is far cheaper - far less moving parts and the cars will last longer before requiring overhall. The electric motors are small and relativly cheap to make and have a better life span.

No Oil change, No Transmission fluid to change, No coolent needed, No spark plugs to change. Brake transmission cost will be halved because you use regenative braking more.

The fuel cost is much much lower..The electric car is half the cost per mile of my petrol car and thats including the battary rental.
  • wongataa
    wongataa Posts: 2,627 Forumite
    Another worrying thought.........

In 2041, when all the petrol stations have closed and Romanians are no longer allowed into the country following brexit, who's going to man all the hand car washes that will open on the old petrol station sites
    Why would petrol stations have closed in 2041. How would we fuel all the ICE vehicles bought before 2040? It is not ban all petrol/diesel cars in 2040, just sales of new ones.
  • Ebe_Scrooge
    Ebe_Scrooge Posts: 7,320 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    I just hope the manufacturers put some serious investment into battery technology. Otherwise those of us that need to make a journey of more than a couple of hundred miles are going to be a bit snookered :(
  • Strider590 wrote: »
    On the surface it makes no sense pushing people toward electric vehicles, because VAT on petrol/diesel is a HUGE income for the treasury.

Are you suggesting that the chancellor never adjusts tax policy in response to changes in the market?
    Are we going to build new power stations to cope with all the extra electricity demands?

Didn't we build new petrol stations to cope with all the extra petrol demands?
  • parking_question_chap
    parking_question_chap Posts: 2,694 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 26 July 2017 at 11:18AM
    Never going to happen if the only alternative is electric from an on board battery. You either need a shed load of coal fired power stations, which means swapping pollution from one type of fossil fuel to another (totally pointness). Other option would be to build several more nuclear power stations, which is probably even less popular than fossil fuels.

Electric cars on a large scale are not the way forward, never have been and never will be. The only way I can see for this to become a reality is to have hydrogen fuelled cars but where the hyrogen is extracted from water in the vehicle. However this is technology we have not even started to develop on a commercially viable scale for millions of vehicles.

Not totally sure how a court case has resulted in a decision to ban new petrol/diesel cars in the future, but it isnt even close to being possible.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure