PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

What are the meals you have never tried /cooked for what ever reason

Comments

• loocyloo
    loocyloo Posts: 265 Forumite
    I don't eat seafood ... just really don't like it, and not that fussed about fish either! I will and do cook it though (for other people!)

I can't abide avocado, so have never cooked it! Nor smoked foods ( once was very airsick on a Lufthansa plane ... so now smoked foods just remind me and I can't face them! )

Dh would like me to cook mussels for him, but I'm worried about getting it wrong and poisoning everyone.

I'll happily give most things a go though!

Every time I buy a bag of kale, the lady in the shop asks me how I cook it ... I don't! I feed it to the guinea pigs !!!
  • Ginmonster
    Ginmonster Posts: 617 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Apart from being veggie I'll pretty much give anything a go. I might discover my new favourite food. And if it's not so good, well I just won't bother again(I'll be honest, I find the idea of deciding you won't like something before you even try it completely incomprehensible). And even things I've started off being not too keen on I've grown to like more as I've kept trying them. I never really liked parsnips and swede but I kept getting them in my veg box and so kept having to find ways to use them. They're not my favourite veg but I like them enough now. I'm still working on Jerusalem artichokes though....

There are only a couple of things I truly dislike :

Anything almond flavoured - even the smell makes me heave
    Blue cheese
    Candied peel

I don't have much patience for the snake oil industry of superfoods and supplements either. All these terribly expensive things that people turn into weird green drinks that they don't even like when all they need to really do is just eat some vegetables. In real meals. That taste nice. And then you can spend the money on something much more fun like a nice bottle of gin (which one day they will discover is a superfood). :-)
  • Prinzessilein
    Prinzessilein Posts: 3,257 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    I will eat most things (which really doesn't help with weight loss!...I will happily scoff just about anything - in large portions!)....including food that many people have on their 'never' lists....

Kale?....yum yum yum!....cook it slowly, with oats and sausage (in Germany, different parts of the country have their own 'secret' recipes for sausages specifically designed to be cooked with kale)

Pig-Knuckle (I call it Eisbein) ...with pease-pudding

Blood-Sausage ...(including, but not limited to Black Pudding)

Spinach....lightly boiled/steamed with boiled potatoes and a fried egg with runny yolk.

Liver...lightly grilled/fried and served with semolina dumplings.

Butternut Squash...love the stuff...and I was spiralizing BNS and Courgette long before it was in vogue!

So, what will I NOT eat?....

Snails....ugh...even typing the word makes me nauseous!

Oysters, cockles, winkles and mussels (although other shellfish is on the menu!)

Olives .....nasty....just nasty...food of satan and all his minions... (although olive oil is good!)

Cheese (needs to be consumed in small quantities as I have an intolerance)

Tinned Mackerel ( over 20 years ago I had food poisoning from some...and was really ill...since then my brain refuses to accept the idea of eating it)

Tofu....I have been willing to try it...but have yet to find anything that is palatable.

I don't eat much in the way of Sunday Roasts or Trifles...much as I love them, it is hard to freeze them and I live alone!
  • ancientofdays
    ancientofdays Posts: 2,913 Forumite
    edited 12 July 2017 at 3:24PM
    I'm not putting in the things I've tried and didn't like, it would be an essay, not a post. I will try most things and love most vegetables.
    I've not tried tripe, my grandpa used to love it and I can remember being suffocated by the nasty smell of it as a little girl. I used to go and hide in the outhouse!
    I've not tried Chitterlins, those don't sound quite exactly up my street.
    I am not mad about eating meat, I will eat a little bit but if it needs cutting up or removing from a bone that's not my job.

I thought gin WAS a super food, what a swiz.
    I was jumping to conclusions and one of them jumped back
  • vodkawitch1
    vodkawitch1 Posts: 1,033 Forumite
    Cabbage - reminds me too much of school dinners!
    sushi - no thanks, or mussels, oysters, prawns
    pigs trotters yuck!
    Make £2 a day challenge - doing well so far.
  • purpleybat
    purpleybat Posts: 477 Forumite
    edited 12 July 2017 at 3:39PM
    there are very few things that I refuse to try, in fact the only thing I can think of is tripe, I think cos it just looks so revolting. if someone cooked it for me (with lots of spices etc... i'm told its very bland) I would probably try a small bit, but the sight of it in its packet at morries makes my tum heave. it just looks white and flabby.
    there are lots of things I don't like... anything in aspic, oysters, parsnips, sweetcorn, aubergine to name a few, so then wouldn't buy or cook them, but I've at least tried them all.
  • As far as meat and fish go I have never fancied trying tripe, jellied eels, oysters or any sort of offal. Other than that I will eat most things. Although I am not a lover of VERY HOT curries, nor am I a fan of Chinese food, I have at least tried them and KNOW I don't like them!

As for veg I will eat most things but am not tempted by artichoke. And spinach is another no-no as I just don't see the point of it. I too love butternut squash, be it in soup, spiralised or just roasted in chunks in the oven. (A lot less calorific than roast potatoes too!)

And how can anyone not like olives! I could go through a jar as quickly as eating a bag of sweets! But they must be black ones!

We're a funny lot aren't we?!
    "If you dream alone it will remain just a dream. But if we all dream together it will become reality"
  • MallyGirl
    MallyGirl Posts: 6,611 Senior Ambassador
    Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    I don't like eggs, cheese or milk so that wipes out quite a lot of dishes. I did manage rice pudding when pregnant as DH was worried I didn't get enough calcium - but haven't had it since.
    Tripe - no, no, no. I deal with the stinky green version for the dogs but why would anyone eat something that needs to be bleached!
    Offal - nope
    celery/celeriac/fennel - not a fan.
    I like mussels but not eels/whelks/cockles/oysters. Probably not that logical.
    I was in my late 40s before I tried haggis and found it was actually quite nice. Even when I lived in Edinburgh I had always had the veggie version.
    I love all things spicy - Indian/Thai/Chinese/Malaysian/Indonesian/Mexican and also sushi.
    Not keen on cottage pie, 'stew', dumplings, traditional English fare.
    I’m a Senior Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Pensions, Annuities & Retirement Planning, Loans
    & Credit Cards boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.
    All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • Callie22
    Callie22 Posts: 3,444 Forumite
    I've cooked many things as I used to work in kitchens, but on a personal level there are quite a few things I don't cook at home. The main one is offal, I just can't stand it and neither can OH. I know it's ethical to do the whole 'nose-to-tail' meat-eating thing but I just don't like liver, kidneys, tripe, heart, tongue, sweetbreads and so on. I like to sit down to a meal, not an autopsy :)

I also don't like sea-food, anything like mussels or oysters. Anything that's a filter-feeder has no place in my kitchen, especially given the state of the sea nowadays.

And I really, really hate tinned baked beans. They are not allowed through my door. Homemade ones, with bacon and molasses are a different story but the tinned orange nightmares? No thanks ...
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 17,413 Forumite
    First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    edited 12 July 2017 at 5:02PM
    I agree about the tripe I can remember having to eat it during rationing and my Mum cooked it in milk .To me it was like eating a boiled tea towel Also we had off ration, as the government had imported large quantities of this, tinned fish called Snoek. I think from South Africa .

No wonder they exported it ,revolting stuff but as it was off ration we had to be thankful and eat it up. We had two choices when I was a child ,eat up or go hungry

Made me almost able to eat anything ,but given the choice I guess that tripe and snoek would be consigned to Room 101 for ever .

Wasn't keen on 'Woolton Pie ' either Lots of people have rose coloured ideas about food from and after WW2, some was OK but a lot ,looking back was pretty basic stuff and meant to fill you up.

No one ent particularly hungry but food didn't have the excitement of the herbs and spices of today.

I agree about jellied eels, whelks, mussle's and apart from crab almost anything that comes with its own house attached :)cockles winkles and snails definitely off the menu even though I am an eastender not that keen on prawns either .Caviar is overated fish paste :) but I do like olives ,especially those stuffed ones, and heartily agree that gin should be classed as a superfood ,in fact I would recommend it on prescription if I could :):):)

My late OH loved pigs trotters, which I did cook for him as he had got a liking for them when he was in the RAF in Germany but I kept thinking of what they had been trotting around in and that put me off :) he also loved sprats, cooked complete in vinegar in the oven heads ,tails the lot he scoffed .

The smell of mackerel that he caught when sea fishing always reminded me of ammonia from babies nappies:)

I wonder what the next food fad will be, no doubt something quite unpronounceable.

Been interesting to see what peoples different likes and dislikes were though Good job we are not all the same :):)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure