Money Moral Dilemma: Should I agree to pay my mum more rent?

MSE_Sarah
MSE_Sarah Posts: 327 MSE Staff
First Anniversary Photogenic First Post I've been Money Tipped!
This week's MoneySaver who wants advice asks...
Since I started working, my mum has charged me £100/month in rent to keep living at her house, to help out with bills. Now after around a year she suddenly wants to increase it to £200/month, but I’ve stayed on the same salary. Is she being unreasonable for bumping up the rent money or am I being tight?

Unfortunately the MSE team can't always answer money moral dilemma questions as contributions are often emailed in or suggested in person. They are intended to be enjoyed as a point of debate and discussed at face value.

If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply!

[purplesignup][/purplesignup]
Follow MSE on other Social Media: MSE Facebook, MSE Twitter, MSE Deals Twitter, Instagram, Threads, Join the MSE ForumGet the Free MoneySavingExpert Money Tips E-mailReport inappropriate posts: click the report buttonFlag a news story: news@moneysavingexpert.com

Comments

• Anja
    Anja Posts: 66 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Ask her to give you a detailed breakdown as to how she arrives at £200. It helps you to understand what things will cost in the big wide world when you do eventually move out.
  • pearl123
    pearl123 Posts: 2,056 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Try and find somewhere to live for £50.00 per week including gas, electricity, water rates and council tax.
    £50 is a bargain.
  • robin58
    robin58 Posts: 2,802 Forumite
    pearl123 wrote: »
    Try and find somewhere to live for £50.00 per week including gas, electricity, water rates and council tax.
    £50 is a bargain.

Plus nodoubt free food and cooked meals and your clothes washed too.

Where do I sign up!!!!
    The more I live, the more I learn.
    The more I learn, the more I grow.
    The more I grow, the more I see.
    The more I see, the more I know.
    The more I know, the more I see,
    How little I know.!! ;)
  • balletshoes
    balletshoes Posts: 16,610 Forumite
    robin58 wrote: »
    Plus nodoubt free food and cooked meals and your clothes washed too.

Where do I sign up!!!!

as usual, the OP doesn't give all the information needed really.

If the £100 per month you are currently being charged includes your meals at home, free rein over the contents of the fridge and kitchen cupboards, and your washing done, your mum has been subsidising you by a lot in only charging you £100, and even charging £200 she's only just likely to be breaking even.
  • dekaspace
    dekaspace Posts: 5,705 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    pearl123 wrote: »
    £50 is a bargain.

I think context plays a part in most things including here.

The word family puts pressure on both sides for starters.

If there was a breakdown of additional costs to the homeowner and it came to £25 a week then the other £25 is more convenience costs.

My father used to charge me £30 in 2001/2002 a week claiming thats how much it cost them, and I used £12 a week alone in electric.

Yet I moved out and paid £3 a week in electric (not including washing machine as hand washed, but mother at home put big loads together so at most it was her deciding my clothes were dirty that cost the extra) and my parents spent £40 a week on food with enough leftovers to feed one more person at every mealtime

A cheap and nasty bedsit was £45 a week true but included council tax and in centre of town, my parents lived around 7 miles from town with a £3.50 return fare on bus in a town with high unemployment.

So stay at home and pay £30 a week for everything but be on benefits for years, or move out and (short term) get housing benefit then pay £45 rent on top.

I appreciate thats not the case here but its just an example of how its not as simple as it may seem.
  • Fireflyaway
    Fireflyaway Posts: 2,766 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    My parents never charged me to live in the family home and I will never charge my child. I think its a weird and quite unfriendly thing to do. If an adult child decides to make a contribution that's great ( and I'd hope they would offer) but a parent actually asking for money? That's your child. Next we know parents will start presenting their kids with an invoice upon their 18 th birthday. £5000 for nappies and milk, £4000 for shoes and school uniform, £8000 for food, £2000 for haircuts, £3000 for laundry services, £5000 for causing parent to get up at an antisocial hour......
    As you can tell I think its wrong. I worked with a woman who was fed up with work so reduced her hours and then promptly asked her son to increase his 'rent' to make up the difference.
  • dekaspace
    dekaspace Posts: 5,705 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    My parents never charged me to live in the family home and I will never charge my child. I think its a weird and quite unfriendly thing to do. If an adult child decides to make a contribution that's great ( and I'd hope they would offer) but a parent actually asking for money? That's your child. Next we know parents will start presenting their kids with an invoice upon their 18 th birthday. £5000 for nappies and milk, £4000 for shoes and school uniform, £8000 for food, £2000 for haircuts, £3000 for laundry services, £5000 for causing parent to get up at an antisocial hour......
    As you can tell I think its wrong. I worked with a woman who was fed up with work so reduced her hours and then promptly asked her son to increase his 'rent' to make up the difference.

I know of 2 families that chucked their sons out on their 18th birthday! One was wealthy too!

I think its about context, if the son/daughter wants a free place to crash and have food and maid service then pay and even more so if they have a acceptable wage and otherwise just blow it.

There was a story I think on here a few years back where this couple in late 20s lived with boyfriends parents and were complaining all they could afford despite being charged zero rent food or utilities was like a 1 bedroom house in London (not a flat a house), not in posh area but not in ghetto area either and were complaining that they would have to commute to work every day that way.

I think both got around 24 grand a year each too and spent a grand or two on a holiday a time and had all the latest gadgets.

Just as if someone chose to work 15 hours when 20 hours was available just to stay at home and have it easy knowing they didn't have to pay rent would not be acceptable.

The perfect point is in the middle not taking advantage, work long enough so you can save a little and build a good social life (without going crazy) and chip in or pay a little amount every week then when stable increase hours and pay a little more and eventually move.
  • Newly_retired
    Newly_retired Posts: 2,950 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    It is not much preparation for life to let your young adult children think that there are no bills to pay. Once they are earning they should contribute. Even if you do put it aside and give them a lump sum when they move out.
  • Marvel1
    Marvel1 Posts: 7,171 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 11 July 2017 at 11:32PM
    Don't like it, move out.

Bills do go up.
  • silvercar
    silvercar Posts: 46,945 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    I'm a Forum Ambassador on The Coronavirus Boards as well as the housing, mortgages and student money saving boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Forum Ambassadors are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure