RMS Receivables

My wife after having a Peugeot with Peugeot finance terminated the agreement early and paid Peugeot what was owed. The car is just under 3 years old and only had 8000 miles on it.

The guy arranged to collect it and turned up in another car which puzzled us as to how he was going to take it away we even rang Peugeot as the whole procedure seemed odd.

He inspected the vehicle took pictures of the front and rear and pointed out the damage that he had found (2 items) to which we knew about this took him approx 20minutes so not a quick once over. A copy of the report was emailed to my wife and he claimed that the damage was nothing to worry about - its a 3 year old car his words fair wear and tear

His report rear bumper scratch and rear door scratch and he took images of these two things (No problems with this)

He then said he would have to leave the car for his mate to collect which would be later on and took the keys with him so for several hours it sat parked outside until we noticed it had disappeared.

So that was that or so we thought.

Today she received a letter from RMS Receivables quoting she owed £500 for damage to the vehicle, now the damage that we agree on the quote is under £60 we have not got an issue with that.

So their report shows
RMS report Bonnet Chips several // bumper rear scratch - fine // nsr door dent - fine // door osf dent // door osr dent // wheel trim scuff // wing osf dent
The car is just under 3 years old with 8000 miles and has never done any motorway driving

The main area claimed for is a dent / scratch at over £300 pounds on the front osf wing. Now firstly the inspector stood 2 foot away from this wing and has taken a shot of the car and the shot shows no damage apposed to the shot this company has sent with a huge scratch on it approx 5 inches long and I know it wasn't there 100% as I washed the car earlier that day and dried it.

To add to this the car had been driven over 120 miles to Leeds once it left our location and I know how many cars turn up at dealers damaged in transit.

I work in the motor industry and never knew this stuff went on its terrible and corrupt to the core clearly.

Any help or advice on how to take on these cowboys would be great as they clearly are out to con people

We will pay for the damage we are aware of but I am not willing to pay for damage that was not on the car when we handed the keys over. This car as I have said would have been driven to Leeds 120 miles so a 2 hour drive. This would have meant the driver getting to Leeds at the earliest 1900 in good traffic, so I am also guessing that the car may not have been taken straight to the storage yard and could have possibly been taken home by the driver.

I have read so many comments about this company it is shocking

Any help or advice would be great

Michael

Comments

• jimjames
    jimjames Posts: 17,596 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    So the report doesn't match their letter? Or did the report include these items too?

If there is no mention of them when they took delivery - ie the condition report then you have every right to tell them they must have happened after collection.

What does the report say about its status? Is it initial and can be amended?
    Remember the saying: if it looks too good to be true it almost certainly is.
  • The condition report from the inspection done at our home lists only two items which we are fine with. The rest were not on it these have been added to a report when the car has been driven the 120 miles to Leeds
  • vikingaero
    vikingaero Posts: 10,920 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    It's unfortunate that you didn't take lots of pictures of the car before it left. I do this with rental cars.
    The man without a signature.
  • patman99
    patman99 Posts: 8,532 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Photogenic First Post
    Do you still have the emailed report from the initial inspection?. You could forward this on to RMS with a note that this is what the dealer inspection found and that you will be making a contribution of £60 to cover this damage in full and final settlement and that you do not accept liability for any damage otherwise invoiced for, as this was sustained after the dealer inspection.

The chap who inspected the car took the keys, so you had no way of driving the car thereafter.

They could try their luck in Court, but they would be stupid to do so given that the initial inspection report can be used as your defence.
    Never Knowingly Understood.

Member #1 of £1,000 challenge - £13.74/ £1000 (that's 1.374%)

3-6 month EF £0/£3600 (that's 0 days worth)

• Hi yep I have the inspection report and the pics that the inspector took. We have written to them enclosing the evidence shall we say and an offer for the damage that was on the car before it left.
    I await their reply
  • Well despite receiving a letter from RMS only two days ago with no acknowledgment to our compliant and them demanding the sum of £500. Today it was Peugeots letter and surprise surprise the entire claim has been written off so we don't even have to pay the amount for that damage that we agreed with.
    Maybe me offering to use their own evidence against them in court may have hit a nerve. Anyway good luck to anyone else who come across this bunch of crooks.:rotfl:
  • I have also had a similar dispute with this company. I went to Citizens Advice who told me not to deal with them, but to deal directly with Peugeot, as that was who my initial contract was with. I wish I had taken photographs at the time of handover - lesson learned! The outcome was that Peugeot waived the money I was being asked for by RMS. Good Luck!
  • loskie
    loskie Posts: 1,761 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    RMS will get a % of the amount you pay. A company called Crystal Collections sub contracted collection of my car. the lady who inspected and collected it told me quite honestly that they get a %. Thankfully she did not claim for any damage. there were only a couple of light scratches and one kerbed alloy
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure