M&S bank

Options

Comments

• diamonds
    diamonds Posts: 6,048 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    colsten wrote: »
    Any positive balance of your current accounts will show as £0 on your credit file.

Why do you have £5K in a TSB Plus when you only get interest on £2K?

I got a lump sum I was not expecting, TSB online 5% Reg Saver online wont let me set up a SO and between the 6 month rule most banks want between applications and life throwing things up in the air I reapplied for Halifax and HSBC (M&S) in the last few weeks and was approved for both.

7 months ago both refused me and I didnt want endless account opening searches on my credit file as I was under the £2000 mark until Dec.

Jan things went up in the air for 6 weeks due to extra daily chores and 2 pets to attend to several times a day.

Now have £5 a month from TSB interest, soon to be £5 monthly reward from Halifax and M&S 6% Saver...currently have £1000 in Halifax 4% Help To Buy ISA, but £1300 in Reward needs a new home, which I will move to a savings axcount and feed M&S 6% and TSB 5% Savers...

I'm getting there colsten ;)
    SO... now England its the Scots turn to say dont leave the UK, stay in Europe with us in the UK, dont let the tories fool you like they did us with empty lies... You will be leaving the UK aswell as Europe ;)
  • getting-sorted-sarah
    Options
    It is not about the pin machine being slower, for me, it is about it being inconvenient. If I am at work and I want to check if a payment got made, I can't. The pin machine is at home, quite possibly sliding behind a sofa cushion. I don't want to have to carry it around.
  • diamonds
    diamonds Posts: 6,048 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    It is not about the pin machine being slower, for me, it is about it being inconvenient. If I am at work and I want to check if a payment got made, I can't. The pin machine is at home, quite possibly sliding behind a sofa cushion. I don't want to have to carry it around.

HSBC pin machine is tiny, I know a woman that carries it in her purse. Are M&S ones bigger like RBS group ?
    SO... now England its the Scots turn to say dont leave the UK, stay in Europe with us in the UK, dont let the tories fool you like they did us with empty lies... You will be leaving the UK aswell as Europe ;)
  • pixiepie99
    pixiepie99 Posts: 232 Forumite
    Options
    The M&S secure key is identical to the HSBC and First Direct ones.
  • bxboards
    bxboards Posts: 1,711 Forumite
    Options
    I opened one purely for the 6% regular saver last month, there is a 100 voucher but that is no use to me, but the regular saver is useful.

They do send a LOT of letters in the post, and I think it needed 3 or 4 phone calls to get everything setup.

I have several current accounts and on the application I put 'savings' as to why I wanted it.

The online banking would be OK if it wasn't for the tiny calculator thing, I really dis-like them, First Direct is the same but you can do basic banking without it, no so with M&S

The 100 M&S card came today, no idea what I will do with that, but it came today about 10 days after the switch finalized.
  • colsten
    colsten Posts: 17,597 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    bxboards wrote: »
    The 100 M&S card came today, no idea what I will do with that, but it came today about 10 days after the switch finalized.
    If you really find no use for your M&S Gift card, send it to me.
  • Katiehound
    Katiehound Posts: 7,556 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    bxboards wrote: »

Every three weeks or so I take a trip on the (free) bus to nearest M&S and get free food with my money card. Easy to take the back pack and stock up on the 3 for £10 deals. Last time my haul was worth £40 + free bottle wine.

At the beginning I didn't think I would really use my card....... but started thinking outside the box!
    OK, cash would have been better.... but I can use that card!!
    Being polite and pleasant doesn't cost anything! --
    Many thanks
    -Stash bust:in 2022:337
    Stash bust :2023. 120duvets, 24 bags, 43 dog coats, 2 scrunchies, 10 mittens, 6 bootees, 8 glass cases, 2 A6 notebooks, 59 cards, 6 lav bags,36 angels,9 bones, 1 knee blanket, 1 lined bag,3 owls, 88 pyramids = total 420 total spend £5. Total for 'Dogs for Good' £546.82

2024:23 Doggy duvets,29 pyramids, 6 hottie covers, 4 knit hats,13 crochet angels,1 shopper, 87cards=163 £86 spent!!!
  • badger09
    badger09 Posts: 11,210 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    colsten wrote: »
    If you really find no use for your M&S Gift card, send it to me.

Damn. You beat me to it:mad:

OP, if you really can't spend it, it would make a lovely gift for someone:)
  • bxboards
    bxboards Posts: 1,711 Forumite
    Options
    Katiehound wrote: »
    Every three weeks or so I take a trip on the (free) bus to nearest M&S and get free food with my money card. Easy to take the back pack and stock up on the 3 for £10 deals. Last time my haul was worth £40 + free bottle wine.

No M&S near me, would be about an 80 mile round trip! Doesn't look like it can be used online either.

I remember years ago I was delayed in the USA and the flight delay compensation was a 250 USD flight voucher - which was impossible to use, as I was going back to the UK!! This voucher reminds me of that, a litle.

I was expecting a sort of pre-paid card thing so getting a bit of cardboard with a 'call this number to find out how much is on it' was a bit disappointing!

I delayed opening an M&S via a switch for years due to the useless reward on this one, only did it for the 6% regular saver, so it's not really a big deal.
  • Mannanan
    Mannanan Posts: 34 Forumite
    Options
    Opened mine just for the 6% saver which is now looking a smart move along with my HSBC and FD ones. Like others, would never have it as my main account as the secure key thing drives me mad. The £100 gift card was a bonus and yes, you can spend it online. I spent it all on alcohol and had it delivered to my door. Lazy but nice.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure