The cheapest Pay As You Go mobile tariff

Options

Comments

• Andy7856
    Andy7856 Posts: 246 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I agree with DAZ2009, I'm with ASDA mobile and I cant really fault them. Ok I dont use the net really, but a basic simple tariff and good coverage. The #147# service is also dead handy. Shame Call Catcher does not appear to work.

Another little present was that i had run the £5 credit down between buying the sim and having my ex-O2 number ported over, and when the transfer came through my orginal £5 credit was re-instated to full value. ... thats ASDA price... da.. da...
  • OldGreyFox
    OldGreyFox Posts: 1,403 Forumite
    Options
    Asda& Tesco charge you to call Freephone Numbers where as Giffgaff do not www.giffgaff.com .Which means you can use http://www.18185.co.uk/mobilerates.php to make cheap landline calls 1p a min ,cheap 0845/0870 calls,and cheap intl calls.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,093 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Asda uses Vodafone which I have found the best overall coverage in non-urban areas. Also, Asda allow you to topup only £5 which O2 based networks don't.

The freephone thing is useful but most of my calls are to mobiles (from my mobile) so 18185 isn't much cheaper when you factor in the connection charge.

Vodafone/Asda also support delivery reports for texts and *#147# service shows the last incoming call without charge even when roaming. I've just switched my voicemail off and use that to see if anyone i know has called ;)

OldGreyFox wrote: »
    Asda& Tesco charge you to call Freephone Numbers where as Giffgaff do not www.giffgaff.com .Which means you can use http://www.18185.co.uk/mobilerates.php to make cheap landline calls 1p a min ,cheap 0845/0870 calls,and cheap intl calls.
  • Senator
    Senator Posts: 19 Forumite
    Options
    how do i check ASDA-mobile last call charges? i only know how to display the currunt balance on screen
  • jayme1
    jayme1 Posts: 2,154 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Senator wrote: »
    how do i check ASDA-mobile last call charges? i only know how to display the currunt balance on screen

can you even do that on any PAYG phone? I am 99% sure you can't on ASDA, you just have to do the old 'amount before call minus amount left after call'.
  • Andy7856
    Andy7856 Posts: 246 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Senator wrote: »

I am on ASDA also and you cant check the last call price. I guess you could turn on the "last call summary" function on the phone.
  • will851
    Options
    I'm in a bit of a predicament at the moment. I used to have a contract with Three mobile about 2 years ago, then switched to their pay as you go package Flat 12 so 12p/minute calls.

they offer 600 texts, free skype and 150MB internet for a £10 top up, but the best thing is that all this lasts for 90 days. Since I barely use my phone except for text messages I find i'm only topping up £10 every three months to get my free allowances.

Problem is, they've started turning off access to their 2g network (using Orange's network I believe) and I now get pathetic coverage at home on 3g, if any at all.

Are there any alternatives that offer free allowances and last for more than 30 days? All the major networks appear to give you a 'reward' when you top up a tenner, but only for 30 days.

Ideas anyone?

Will
  • neil40
    neil40 Posts: 753 Forumite
    Options
    will851 wrote: »
    I'm in a bit of a predicament at the moment. I used to have a contract with Three mobile about 2 years ago, then switched to their pay as you go package Flat 12 so 12p/minute calls.

they offer 600 texts, free skype and 150MB internet for a £10 top up, but the best thing is that all this lasts for 90 days. Since I barely use my phone except for text messages I find i'm only topping up £10 every three months to get my free allowances.

Problem is, they've started turning off access to their 2g network (using Orange's network I believe) and I now get pathetic coverage at home on 3g, if any at all.

Are there any alternatives that offer free allowances and last for more than 30 days? All the major networks appear to give you a 'reward' when you top up a tenner, but only for 30 days.

Ideas anyone?

Will
    Not that i am aware of.Only alternatives are Asda/giffgaff which both have low priced texts at 4p per text on standard pay as you go.All others as you said need £10 top up every month.

Giffgaff also has £5 per month for unlimited texts.

Neil
  • studentoflife
    Options
    Hi peeps,

I've been looking for the cheapest SIM for calls and have stumbled upon this forum.
    I've found a good deal that I've decided to go with and thought I'd share.

Now Mobile does UK National for 5p/min and UK Mobile for 8p/min.
    They have rates from 1p/min for international, google them and see they're rates.

I wasn't too sure if I should go for giffgaff cuz giffgaff does text for 4p and Now Mobile does them for 8p. GiffGaff is using O2 which is reliable but went with Now Mobile cuz I use more calls then text and most networks are reliable nowadays.

NowMobile also does free voicemail and customer support.
    GiffGaff charges for voicemail but freephone numbers are free on giffgaff (and not on NowMobile).

Hope this helps someone.
  • grumbler
    grumbler Posts: 58,629 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    edited 12 April 2011 at 1:55PM
    Options
    giffgaff is good if you use internet. Otherwise you can find a better deal, depending on the minutes and texts you need.

Yet another cheap provider is icardmobile with 5p for UK mobile calls.
    As far as I remember Tesco do 500 minutes for £10.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure