Help please re SIM only deals

Comments

• AndyPK
    AndyPK Posts: 4,241
    First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    Some sim only deals are 1 month contracts. Others are 12 months. So be aware.

If you are worried your phone may not last a year go for a 30 day rolling contract.
  • jblessing
    jblessing Posts: 146
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Depends how much data you want, but there are cheaper 30 day rolling contracts about (e.g. Plusnet £5 per month for 500Mb)
  • As far as I know, the difference between EE and Virgin is EE include tethering and Virgin do not.

Other points which may be important to check... international roaming, in particular EU roaming. Vodafone have already jumped on the EU roaming bandwagon ahead of the deadline of mid June.

EE don't offer a spending cap, not sure about Virgin. All contracts should include a spending cap, but many don't. Watch out.
  • d123
    d123 Posts: 8,621
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite

EE don't offer a spending cap, not sure about Virgin. All contracts should include a spending cap, but many don't. Watch out.

Data is hard capped on EE, you cannot use more than your allowance and should you use all of your allowance you would need to buy an add on for more data.
    ====
  • Korkyb
    Korkyb Posts: 623
    First Post Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Hi

I've sent you a private message with an email address of a contact I have in ee. He should be able to sort you out with a decent deal.
    Was it really "everybody" that was Kung Fu fighting ???
  • d123 wrote: »
    Data is hard capped on EE, you cannot use more than your allowance and should you use all of your allowance you would need to buy an add on for more data.

Calls on EE aren't capped though, so if you accidentally dial an international number instead of using Skype it will cost a lot... as will replying to overseas text messages.
  • d123
    d123 Posts: 8,621
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    Calls on EE aren't capped though, so if you accidentally dial an international number instead of using Skype it will cost a lot... as will replying to overseas text messages.

True, but unlike data trickling away in the background both of those examples require a positive action from the user, and it's pretty apparent if you dial an international code yourself to make a call or send a text that it's going to an international charge.
    ====
  • littlewren
    littlewren Posts: 1,988
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    AndyPK wrote: »
    Some sim only deals are 1 month contracts. Others are 12 months. So be aware.

If you are worried your phone may not last a year go for a 30 day rolling contract.

Thank you, that's what I was worried about. I'd rather go on the 30 day contract I think, for that reason. :)
    Money, money, money, must be funny, in the rich man's World!
  • littlewren
    Forumite
    DCFC79 wrote: »
    If the phone is working fine then get a sim only deal, whatever you do get whatever sim is suitable for you.

Yes writing to EE is an alternative if your not fit for talking on a phone.

Ask for your PAC code.

Touch wood the phone is working ok, thank you yes, I will remember to ask for the PAC code and may do as you suggest, write to them. :)
  • littlewren
    Forumite
    jblessing wrote: »
    Depends how much data you want, but there are cheaper 30 day rolling contracts about (e.g. Plusnet £5 per month for 500Mb)

Thank you, I need 2GB really, which would increase that quite a bit.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure