Paid over the odds for your energy? MPs are interested in hearing your experiences

124»

Comments

• teddysmum
    teddysmum Posts: 9,471 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 20 March 2017 at 5:29PM
    Just switched from sse this morning using the cheap energy club on here.
    Estimated £347 a year saving.

Is that a straight quote from the site or the difference between your chosen company and what you would have paid with your present supplier's fix? Only the latter is meaningful, as so called savings are assuming you are stupid enough to revert to standard rate with your supplier.

I note that they are going ahead with restricting the difference between fixes and standard rate tariffs,so of course it will be the fixes which charge more rather than the standard rates dropping. Yet again we are punished because certain sectors of the population are stupid and/or lazy .

The government has cost us more for phone and broadband, now power costs will have another hike,so I wonder if they will meddle with the systems used by the water companies next.

Perhaps we should have council tax rises if we live in relatively clean aired areas , so they can give a discount to those who choose to live by busy roads or in inner city areas.

Of course any increases we pay due to helpful (not) meddling will not affect the meddlers, as they probably get theirs paid for ,being deemed as necessary for their jobs.

Our councillors get a fee large enough to pay their full phone bill,because they may need to use the phone to call on council business or to speak to a constituent. This goes back to before inclusive call packages, when calls could be very expensive and ridiculous in one case where councillor spouses got a double payout. (We knew about the latter as a relative
    knew the couple)
  • phillw
    phillw Posts: 5,594 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 20 March 2017 at 6:01PM
    One-Eye wrote: »
    Despite all the endlessly repeated "switch and save up to £300" propaganda, ANY switch I did today would result in increased costs.

My energy use is low, so I was never going to save £300. You can't keep saving compared to last years prices, or they would eventually be paying you. You most certainly can keep saving compared to falling onto the standard tariff.
    teddysmum wrote: »
    Is that a straight quote from the site or the difference between your chosen company and what you would have paid with your present supplier's fix? Only the latter is meaningful, as so called savings are assuming you are stupid enough to revert to standard rate with your supplier.

That is still meaningful, because your current supplier isn't going to put you on it's cheapest deal automatically because they aren't allowed to tie you in.
  • miller
    miller Posts: 1,627 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post Photogenic
    teddysmum wrote: »
    Our councillors get a fee large enough to pay their full phone bill,because they may need to use the phone to call on council business or to speak to a constituent.

I remember seeing something from the expenses scandal where an MP was arguing that he should have his phone bill paid for free because he needed it for broadband... except, he was getting fibre broadband from Virgin Media.
  • C_Mababejive
    C_Mababejive Posts: 11,654 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    This whole energy debate is total rubbish. There is a free market and there is competition. Every time my contract comes up for renewal i have renewed at more or less the same rate as the previous year or better. We cannot hold the energy companies accountable for the inertia of certain customers.

I tell ou how this will end. It will end with ALL of us subsidising the energy bills of the ones who havent got the will,skill or gumption to sort out their own accounts.

How FAIR would that be?
    Feudal Britain needs land reform. 70% of the land is "owned" by 1 % of the population and at least 50% is unregistered (inherited by landed gentry). Thats why your slave box costs so much..
  • teddysmum
    teddysmum Posts: 9,471 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    phillw wrote: »

That is still meaningful, because your current supplier isn't going to put you on it's cheapest deal automatically because they aren't allowed to tie you in.

One would assume that the majority using a comparison site are likely to be on a fix and know about reverting to standard tariffs, so the quoted savings are unrealistic and the only people making those savings will be ones who are now on the standard tariff.

The only way to find out what your saving will roughly be( as your usage could change), is choose, say, Company A and subtract the quoted saving or annual cost for your present supplier's new fix from the quoted amounts for Company A.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure