Mercure hotels with Tesco club card vouchers

If anyone is thinking of using their club card vouchers for Mercure or Novotel hotels, be very careful.

I recently phoned the reservations line to book 2 hotel rooms (2 separate nights) and booked the rooms I wanted. You have to give your credit card details in case you don't turn up.

The next step is to order the clubcard vouchers from Tesco which was painless enough. I then had to call Mercure reservations again to assign the clubcard tokens to the rooms, you get 72 hours to do this.

When I called reservations the first room was done quickly but they said the 2nd room wasn't a clubcard room. I stated that the mistake is theirs as I booked the rooms together and clearly stated I was using my vouchers.

I have now spent 5 weeks contacting customer services, reservations and the actual hotel. I have even written to customer services twice with receiving any reply. I have now had to pay for my room and I have a clubcard voucher which is totally useless.

On the Tesco clubcard webpage their are lots of feedback along the same vein so be very careful when using this company.

Comments

• POPPYOSCAR
    POPPYOSCAR Posts: 14,897 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    It does seem to be hit and miss with the clubcard booking of hotels.

I have had good and bad experiences.

Gave up once when they kept telling me there was no availablity for all the dates I was giving them.

I asked them to give me a date that was available and they said they could not do that, I had to give them a date to try.

You have to wonder sometimes why they are a part of the scheme.

Can work out expensive with some of them as well with the premium tel no they give you to ring and book on.
  • POPPYOSCAR
    I would contact Tesco clubcard and explain.

They may credit your points back onto your account.
  • we have to state that the hotel vouchers thing is a bit of a nightmare.
    We wanted to go away for a couple of days a few years ago, called up the helpline and proceeded to ask about a series of possible destinations to use our vouchers. All were unavailable or not covered by the scheme.
    Eventually we gave up and asked what is available. The answer first answer was
    BIRMINGHAM INTERNATIONAL AIRPORT
    errrm, thanks but no thanks, do not like watching planes THAT much...
    Finally, we were offered Farnham near Aldershot. It was not awfull but this broke us of the desire to use Tesco hotel vouchers and we have not done it since.
    I am a cow so cannot speak Bullshine but I do recognise its smell when I come upon it.
  • I contacted Tesco today and they have refunded the clubcard points to my account so thank you poppyoscar. I can't fault Tesco in all of this as they have been fantastic. I did give them feedback on their boost partner Mercure though.
  • POPPYOSCAR
    kirk8147 wrote: »
    I contacted Tesco today and they have refunded the clubcard points to my account so thank you poppyoscar. I can't fault Tesco in all of this as they have been fantastic. I did give them feedback on their boost partner Mercure though.

Yes I thought they would.

Although their policy is not to refund unused vouchers back into points I have found if you have a good enough reason they will do.

They were also great when I lost £90 worth of days out vouchers.(I think they must have got thrown away with the recycling.)
    They sent me an indemnity form to send back and then they sent replacements.

It is just a shame the hotel rewards is so hit and miss.
  • POPPYOSCAR wrote: »
    It is just a shame the hotel rewards is so hit and miss.

It would really help if there was somewhere on the internet that you couild check Hotels/availablity....
    I am a cow so cannot speak Bullshine but I do recognise its smell when I come upon it.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure