Energy: Find the cheapest supplier & earn cashback

Comments

• ASavvyBuyer
    ASavvyBuyer Posts: 1,737
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    Ken68 wrote: »
    Coming to the end of my Southern Electric contract. Iresa are the cheapest but will be going with Scottish Power..... fractionally more expensive, but won't be losing the recently installed Smart Meter.
    Still good at £510pa less £30 cashback and being aged over 80 ...minus £300 Winter Fuel Allowance.
    AND with the smart meter nagging away, hopefully further savings.

It is very unlikely that your Smart Meter will work as a Smart meter if you switch company. See all the other discussions on here about Smart Meters and how they no longer work Smart, but become dumb if you switch supplier (apart from between a few companies).
  • Hi,

I have just signed a tenancy agreement for a council flat. The new property has dual fuel prepayment meters with Utilita. I don't want prepayment meters, but have had to register with Utilita as a new tenant in the property.

I came to MSE to do a price comparison to find the cheapest direct debit option available to me, so that I could switch to the best/cheapest provider ASAP. I see that you now have to join the 'Cheap Energy Club' in order to do a price comparison - which I have done. Problem is, that I am only given prepayment alternatives. How do I get to see the other companies, so that I can make a comparison and switch?

I seem to remember that when I did the very same thing (11 years ago), I was already with one company at the old address and just notified them that I wanted to carry on with them at the new property, then they arranged to change providers back to them and fit a regular meter.

Hope that I've posted in the right place and that someone can help me out here?! Many thanks.
  • Hi,

I have just signed a tenancy agreement for a council flat. The new property has dual fuel prepayment meters with Utilita. I don't want prepayment meters, but have had to register with Utilita as a new tenant in the property.

I came to MSE to do a price comparison to find the cheapest direct debit option available to me, so that I could switch to the best/cheapest provider ASAP. I see that you now have to join the 'Cheap Energy Club' in order to do a price comparison - which I have done. Problem is, that I am only given prepayment alternatives. How do I get to see the other companies, so that I can make a comparison and switch?

I seem to remember that when I did the very same thing (11 years ago), I was already with one company at the old address and just notified them that I wanted to carry on with them at the new property, then they arranged to change providers back to them and fit a regular meter.

Hope that I've posted in the right place and that someone can help me out here?! Many thanks.
    I assume you advised CEC that you had a pre-payment meter and it produced compatible tariffs. Enter your details again but change the meter type to the standard credit meter.
    (or tick "No" if asked whether you have a pre-payment meter)

I think you may have to ask your current supplier at your new address to change the meters - you may be charged for this - and then you will be able to switch to standard credit-meter tariffs.
    >:)Warning: In the kingdom of the blind, the one-eyed man is king.
  • Hi,

My fix deal ends 31st May 2017 and I have a £60 penalty charge of I try to leave before 50 days from this date.

Do you think it would be worthwhile getting a new fix now and paying the £60 or wait until April and risk the price rises.

ie. do you think if I wait until April the fixed deals will be £60 more than now?
    Thanks
  • MSE_Dan_L
    MSE_Dan_L Posts: 655 MSE Staff
    I see that you now have to join the 'Cheap Energy Club' in order to do a price comparison - which I have done. Problem is, that I am only given prepayment alternatives. How do I get to see the other companies, so that I can make a comparison and switch?

Hi Losdemas2000

Just to add to the comment above on this, you can't switch from prepayment to credit meters via Cheap Energy Club.

No problem with you using the site to work out where you'd like to switch to, but we can't organise this for you - you'd first need to get the meters swapped out. For more on this, do take a look at this link.
    http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/utilities/switch-prepaid-gas-electricity#freecreditmeter
  • shaggy
    shaggy Posts: 1,030
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    like a lot of people have come to the end of the british gas feb 2017 collective. Am very surprised to see none of the big six appearing anywhere on the cheapest comparisons. Its all unknown internet companies which Ive never heard of and a lot seem to be getting bad reviews on MSE forums.....

Will hold off for a bit I think ...
  • Consumerist
    Consumerist Posts: 6,310
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    shaggy wrote: »
    like a lot of people have come to the end of the british gas feb 2017 collective. Am very surprised to see none of the big six appearing anywhere on the cheapest comparisons. Its all unknown internet companies which Ive never heard of and a lot seem to be getting bad reviews on MSE forums.....

It's a bit of a gamble going for some of these energy upstarts but in the current climate of increasing prices it might be better to bite the bullet now if you're in your switching window.

If you're worried about a repeat of the GB Energy debacle then it might be better to get the best deal you can from the majors before their prices go up.
    >:)Warning: In the kingdom of the blind, the one-eyed man is king.
  • mug51
    mug51 Posts: 366
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    shaggy wrote: »

I've just switched to Scottish Power Online Fixed Price Energy March 2018 from BG collective fix.
    Works out £49 more than the collective fix (cheapest was Economy Energy at £25 more than BG) but £30 cashback from CEC or £38 quidco cashback makes it to be the cheapest for me. This is based on 1500kwh electricity and 6600kwh gas.

My workings out show that gas on the new SP rate is considerably cheaper than the expiring BG collective rate. After all the bill discounts and cashback, SP rate is cheaper if less than 14060 kwh of gas is used. Otherwise BG would be cheaper.

Electricity however at SP is way more expensive than the old BG rate. Every 1000 kwh used it costs £60.32 more at SP. At 1133 kwh both BG and SP cost the same. After that SP becomes more expensive.
  • den169
    den169 Posts: 278
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    I'm on a fixed till end of april.Rang them about moving to another fixed term and was told wait till your fixed term is up or your losing 2 months cheaper rate.And he said the new fixed term till next year will be the same at the end of april as the price rise is already in the price.What do you guys think.
  • I assume you advised CEC that you had a pre-payment meter and it produced compatible tariffs.

YES!
    Enter your details again but change the meter type to the standard credit meter.
    (or tick "No" if asked whether you have a pre-payment meter).

Aah, thank you! Sorry for the delay in replying: don't have i-net at the new place, yet!
    I think you may have to ask your current supplier at your new address to change the meters - you may be charged for this - and then you will be able to switch to standard credit-meter tariffs.

So you're saying that I have to change the meter with the current supplier FIRST, before proceeding? Meanwhile, I can jiggle the MSE Energy Club results by entering predicted use with a regular meter, just to give me an idea?

Thanks again.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure