wifi coldspots

Well hope some one can help as after reading all the comments on a couple of threads already i am quite confused.
I have BT HUB 5 and have perfect connection in the same room as router but my bedroom and lounge it often drops when i am on ipad. or my firestick or on demand on sky( takes forever to download a program).
I have TP-LINK TL-PA411KIT AV500 500 Mbps Nano Powerline Adapter Starter Kit - Twin but theses appear to be for wired connections but want something that will boost the wifi signal. So one upstairs one downstairs and easy to set up.
What would be the best cheapest easiest product to buy.
Thanks in advance

Comments

• Strider590
    Strider590 Posts: 11,874 Forumite
    Try downloading a WiFi network analyser for your device, use it to check for contending wireless networks on the same channel your using.

Set your router to a fixed channel to avoid interference from other wireless networks. AVOID channel 11, this is by far the worst WiFi channel you can use. If possible and your router/devices support it, use the 5Ghz WiFi range from channel 34 through 48.
    “I may not agree with you, but I will defend to the death your right to make an a** of yourself.”

<><><><><><><><><<><><><><><><><><><><><><> Don't forget to like and subscribe \/ \/ \/
  • Sam1903
    Sam1903 Posts: 278 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Strider590 wrote: »
    Try downloading a WiFi network analyser for your device, use it to check for contending wireless networks on the same channel your using.

Set your router to a fixed channel to avoid interference from other wireless networks. AVOID channel 11, this is by far the worst WiFi channel you can use. If possible and your router/devices support it, use the 5Ghz WiFi range from channel 34 through 48.

So would this be a wifi network analyser for the bt home hub?
    Going to google how to change bt home hub5 channels
  • esuhl
    esuhl Posts: 9,409 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Here's what I'd do in order of preference:

1) Run an Ethernet cable to a socket in the upstairs room. Plug in a wireless access point.

2) As above, but use the powerline adaptors instead of Ethernet cable.

3) Plug in a wireless range extender somewhere between the downstairs room and the upstairs room.
  • esuhl
    Sam1903 wrote: »
    So would this be a wifi network analyser for the bt home hub?
    Going to google how to change bt home hub5 channels

You install the network analyser on a mobile device (e.g. phone or laptop), and it will show you your signal strength, as well as all the other wireless networks around you.

You can wander round to see where your signal is weak or strong, and also see which channels you and your neighbours are using.
  • Sam1903
    esuhl wrote: »
    Here's what I'd do in order of preference:

1) Run an Ethernet cable to a socket in the upstairs room. Plug in a wireless access point.

2) As above, but use the powerline adaptors instead of Ethernet cable.

3) Plug in a wireless range extender somewhere between the downstairs room and the upstairs room.

Thanks dont want cables, i have 2 tp link adapters but its my ipad and amazon fire that i want connecting so not sure how i would do this with the powerline adapters.
    So if i am reading this correct it is the wireless range extenders i need. If this is correct can anyone suggest two that are a reasonable price and easy to install.
  • esuhl
    Thanks dont want cables, i have 2 tp link adapters but its my ipad and amazon fire that i want connecting so not sure how i would do this with the powerline adapters.
    So if i am reading this correct it is the wireless range extenders i need. If this is correct can anyone suggest two that are a reasonable price and easy to install.

Either that, or number 2 above (what I'd do), use the powerline adaptors and plug in a wireless access point upstairs.

A wireless range extender will increase latency (which won't be a problem unless you're playing games online). BTW, you wouldn't need two range extenders -- just one will do.

I'm afraid I can't recommend any brand or model in particular, though. I've never needed them myself.
  • Fightsback
    Fightsback Posts: 2,504 Forumite
    edited 10 October 2016 at 8:38PM
    Firstly try splitting the 2.4ghz and 5ghz of the BThub into 2 different SSIDs and only connect further away objects to 2.4ghz. This may or may not help the range, it depends on the devices and the surroundings.

http://www.gizmodo.co.uk/2016/03/bt-home-hub-5-tips-tricks-settings/

Eshul means something like this, note this is not a product endorsement but merely for illustration:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/TL-WPA4220-Powerline-Configuration-Smartphone-UK/dp/B00DEYDF8I/ref=pd_sim_147_2?ie=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=3N7MM6BCT45R7AVW1GE8
    Science isn't exact, it's only confidence within limits.
  • Sam1903
    esuhl wrote: »
    Either that, or number 2 above (what I'd do), use the powerline adaptors and plug in a wireless access point upstairs.

sorry for being so dim .. so i have the powerline adaptors one connects to the router via ethernet the other plugs into a socket say upstaire, but what do i do with the ethernet from that ? what is a wireless access point?
  • Fightsback
    Fightsback Posts: 2,504 Forumite
    sorry for being so dim .. so i have the powerline adaptors one connects to the router via ethernet the other plugs into a socket say upstaire, but what do i do with the ethernet from that ? what is a wireless access point?

Read this guide:

http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/how-to/network-wifi/how-improve-wi-fi-in-home-wi-fi-extenders-vs-powerline-adapters-3593058/
    Science isn't exact, it's only confidence within limits.
  • esuhl

So the powerline adaptor gives you an Ethernet socket upstairs, right? You just need to plug in a wireless access point into that socket.

A wireless access point simply provides wireless access to your network. Wireless devices connect to the wireless access point, which communicates with your router via the powerline adaptors.

You have a wireless access point built into your router. By having a second wireless access point upstairs, devices can connect to whichever one gives the strongest signal.

A wireless range extender is different. It doesn't need to be connected to Ethernet (so you won't need the powerline adaptors). It just "listens" for a weak wireless signal, then rebroadcasts it. (But this rebroadcasting causes latency -- a slight delay. So personally I'd avoid using a range extender if there were other options.)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure