Taking annual leave on-site, on-call, and general boundary issues with employer

Comments

• SillyOne wrote: »
    As a massive generalisation... we produce a monthly/quarterly (or as agreed with the customer) "Widget* Report" relating to the performance of that customer's Widgets in their particular market and results of our testing of Their Widget vs Comparable Other Widgets, etc etc and write all of this up into a 'Death by Powerpoint' deliverable. The analysis has "routine" elements (run step A, B and C for Their Widget/Other Widget and write down the resulting X, Y and Z readings from the test equipment) but also interpretation and research etc.

If something were to happen to me the impact would be that we don't have people internally to step up and complete the needed interpretation and research etc for the "Widget Report" in the needed timescales, and financial penalties from clients accordingly. Maybe one missed PowerPoint could be glossed over, but it would be a downward slide from there.

* Widget is a specific tech product, but I don't want to give the detail of specifically what it is, on here.

Edited to add: yeah, a Widget Report isn't going to change the world. But it changes the world for this company, whose entire revenue comes from selling Widget Reports.

Oh please.

To find out how true this is, ask for a 25% increase in salary immediately, and say you are leaving if it's not forthcoming.

If they say no, you will know that you are not as important as you think you are, and that the business knows it can cope without you even if they keep telling you they can't.
  • SillyOne
    SillyOne Posts: 96 Forumite
    Re: it's the company's problem rather than mine - Yes, but it becomes my problem. I'm the person currently in this role for better or worse, and it falls to me to solve things or not as the case may be. The inevitable post mortem (more like raking over the coals) comes immediately after if something fails! Also if it fails, people will be out (not me immediately) and somehow I feel some obligation to them because I don't know where they would work otherwise.

@ScorpiondeRooftrouser - They have "had" to step in in the past and failed, but I have always been a 'backstop' (unknown to them) They would happily let it fail, and shrug it off! Because they are being paid anyway! (For now.......)
  • SillyOne
    Oh please.

To find out how true this is, ask for a 25% increase in salary immediately, and say you are leaving if it's not forthcoming.

If they say no, you will know that you are not as important as you think you are, and that the business knows it can cope without you even if they keep telling you they can't.

I did a variant of this and there was scrambling, promises and then nothing. I was stupid and fell for it. But still they are dependent on me as even after this, they didn't put in place any "redundancy" or backup plan!

Btw "Oh please" seems to suggest I am just inflating my own ego or such like. If only!! - I would like nothing better than to be able to leave, guilt free.
  • Timpu
    Timpu Posts: 310 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    SillyOne wrote: »
    ...somehow I feel some obligation to them because I don't know where they would work otherwise
    ...They would happily let it fail, and shrug it off! Because they are being paid anyway! (For now.......)

Am I reading this right??? Apologies if not, it's been a long day.

If these people don't care about the consequences for themselves, why do you? Let them look after themselves, they are grown ups and won't thank you. You're being too kind and making a rod for your own back IMHO.

I do feel for you and wish you luck SillyOne
  • SillyOne
    edited 17 October 2016 at 8:15PM
    Timpu wrote: »
    Am I reading this right??? Apologies if not, it's been a long day.

If these people don't care about the consequences for themselves, why do you? Let them look after themselves, they are grown ups and won't thank you. You're being too kind and making a rod for your own back IMHO.

I do feel for you and wish you luck SillyOne

Yes you are reading it right. Obviously I don't know what goes on in people's heads but how it seems outwardly is that they don't care about the outcome for the company itself, but wonder "how will I pay my bills etc? I dunno, sadface" etc - as if the profitability of the company and their employment are somehow decoupled. It isn't a guilt trip from others - more of a sense of learned [STRIKE]helplessness[/STRIKE] !!!!lessness* I think.

* the forum thing censored my language! F e c k lesness - a perfectly cromulent word.

To put it another way - should I just stand by and let the company run itself into the ground and put people out of work (some significant % of whom will struggle after as they won't be able to get other jobs) or should I do what I can? Even at my own cost?
  • elsien
    elsien Posts: 32,680 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Your loyalty is misplaced.
    If there is a down turn and they're looking for redundancies, or something else happens that makes you less valuable to them you will be out without a second thought regardless of what you believe you have offered to the company in the meantime.
    I found that one out the hard way.
    But while you continue to make excuses for their lack of action nothing will change and they will continue to walk over you. The ball's in your court.
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
  • SillyOne
    edited 17 October 2016 at 8:20PM
    We are under review and I'm "forgetting" my own overtime for example, in an attempt to make it look more profitable than it is. Overtime is payable in theory, that is if you remember that you did it......! Of course every hour is accounted for and charged by the others because they will stay late, but only if it's paid?! So on paper if anyone looks at this, I am doing fewer hours than the others so they must be more committed. Then I should be the one pushed out (but then I have the best chance of finding another role).
  • Timpu
    Timpu Posts: 310 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Yes you are reading it right. Obviously I don't know what goes on in people's heads but how it seems outwardly is that they don't care about the outcome for the company itself, but wonder "how will I pay my bills etc? I dunno, sadface" etc - as if the profitability of the company and their employment are somehow decoupled. It isn't a guilt trip from others - more of a sense of learned [STRIKE]helplessness[/STRIKE] !!!!lessness* I think.

* the forum thing censored my language! F e c k lesness - a perfectly cromulent word.

Love forum censorship :rotfl:

To some people, a job is a job, they do the minimum in return for the pay. Nothing wrong in that at all, they are fulfilling their obligations. You seem to me to be deeply caring and able. These are admirable traits but skill lies in choosing where you apply them. You're being kind to those who are happy to take he mickey out of you. You don't deserve that so, speaking brutally, stop enabling them.
  • SillyOne
    Timpu wrote: »
    You're being kind to those who are happy to take he mickey out of you. You don't deserve that so, speaking brutally, stop enabling them.

Enabling!!! I had to google it (yes...) but that is exactly it!!

>> Enablers, rather than addicts, suffer the effects of the [addict's] behavior. Enabling is “removing the natural consequences to the addict of his or her behavior".
  • SillyOne
    tiger_eyes wrote: »
    PS: I just finished a group CBT class on low self-esteem that was available through my local mental health service. Fascinating stuff and we talked a lot about communication styles, including passive and assertive communication. I'd thoroughly recommend a similar course.

@tiger eyes - Can you expand? Where can I get access to a course like this (happy to pay a reasonable amount if that's what it takes). do I need to go via the GP?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure