Faulty mobile replaced with different colour

Options

Comments

• fleshandbone
    fleshandbone Posts: 570 Forumite
    edited 11 October 2016 at 12:39PM
    Options
    I would not be happy about this either.
    If I had a Jet black Iphone 7 and then it was replaced with Rose Gold I would be foaming at the mouth.
    In my opinion CarPhoneWarehouse have provided poor customer service.
  • LadyDee
    LadyDee Posts: 4,293 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    But if the retailer is genuinely unable to provide a phone in the original colour what would be the alternative? If the manufacturer won't replace it then the only alternative would be for the original seller to refund the cost so the OP could then go elsewhere and buy one, but they are unlikely to do that if the phone has been used for 11 months.

I love my bright green phone but if it had to be replaced with another (brand new) phone in a different colour I'd be disappointed, but after nearly a year's use I'd accept that replacing my well-used phone with a brand new one of another colour is actually a pretty good deal.
  • DoaM
    DoaM Posts: 11,863 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    Just to say ... OP doesn't say they received a brand new replacement phone, just a replacement (that could easily be a refurb).
  • fleshandbone
    Options
    LadyDee wrote: »
    But if the retailer is genuinely unable to provide a phone in the original colour what would be the alternative? If the manufacturer won't replace it then the only alternative would be for the original seller to refund the cost so the OP could then go elsewhere and buy one, but they are unlikely to do that if the phone has been used for 11 months.

I love my bright green phone but if it had to be replaced with another (brand new) phone in a different colour I'd be disappointed, but after nearly a year's use I'd accept that replacing my well-used phone with a brand new one of another colour is actually a pretty good deal.

Refund all day
  • mooslapper
    Options
    naedanger wrote: »
    To help determine the best way of taking this forward it would help knowing the answers to the following:

1) How did you pay for the phone when you originally bought it? (You have more options if you paid by credit card.)

2) Also what was wrong with the phone? (The purpose of this question is to help determine whether you can claim under the Consumer Rights Act (CRA) rather than the warranty.) The CRA only covers faults that were present when you bought the phone although they may not manifest themselves until later - so lack of durability might be an inherent fault but accidental damage would not.

3) Do you have the warranty wording? And if so what does it say about replacements being of the same spec? Does the wording mention color? (These questions will not be relevant if you claim under the CRA.)

Thanks for replying!

1. Paid by credit card, SIM free phone so just a normal outright purchase.

2. The phone completely died while in use. No drops, damage, liquid ingress or anything - just stopped working completely.

3. Carphone Warehouse's repair terms don't mention anything about replacements at all. LG's website states "Replacement Unit or Parts may be new or remanufactured service exchanges that are equivalent to new in performance and reliability.". They have provided a new phone, just a different colour.

I've given up on this despite remaining very unhappy about it, I'll just vote with my feet for future electrical purchases.
  • naedanger
    naedanger Posts: 3,102 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    mooslapper wrote: »
    Thanks for replying!

1. Paid by credit card, SIM free phone so just a normal outright purchase.

2. The phone completely died while in use. No drops, damage, liquid ingress or anything - just stopped working completely.

3. Carphone Warehouse's repair terms don't mention anything about replacements at all. LG's website states "Replacement Unit or Parts may be new or remanufactured service exchanges that are equivalent to new in performance and reliability.". They have provided a new phone, just a different colour.

I've given up on this despite remaining very unhappy about it, I'll just vote with my feet for future electrical purchases.
    As you paid by credit card you can hold your credit card company liable for the problems rather than the retailer.

The main advantage in holding your credit card company liable rather than the retailer is that if you are unhappy with the credit card company's response you can complain about them (and their failures) to the Financial Ombudsman Service (FOS). (Note that while FOS are not perfect they have more powers than many other ombudsmen schemes.) A complaint to FOS costs nothing, but you do need to allow the credit card company the opportunity to fix the problem first.

You say you have given up on this. Personally I think if you took your complaint up with your credit card company you would have a reasonably good chance of success. However it might take a few letters and some weeks to get to the end of their complaint process. So I can understand why you might conclude it is not worth the effort.

More details on Section 75:
    http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/shopping/section75-protect-your-purchases
  • powerful_Rogue
    Options
    So what colour was your 11 month old phone and what colour is the brand new one they're sending you?
  • Laz123
    Laz123 Posts: 1,742 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Bogalot wrote: »
    Which phone/ colour did you purchase and what colour is the replacement?

Yes, come on, I'm dying to know too. Why the secrecy?
  • elsien
    elsien Posts: 32,738 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Probably because the OP knows that whatever colour they post, some bright spark will be along telling them it's a lovely colour and they're making a fuss about nothing.
    The point is, it matters to them.
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
  • shaun_from_Africa
    Options
    The way I look at it is like this.

If retailers didn't think that the colour of mobile phones was important to many customers, why do they bother buying in all the various colours made by the different manufacturers?

I wonder how long any high street retailer would stay in business if they kept telling prospective customers that the colour of the phone didn't form part of the specification so they could only have a colour of the shop's choosing.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure