Freeview problem - where's Channel 5 gone?

Bought a freeview box for our bedroom about a month ago. All channels there, some signals stronger than other but on the whole fine, and delighted with my £25 value for money.

However, in the past few days, Channel 5 has stopped working altogether. All the other channels are working fine, and if I plug the aerial into the telly, old-stylie, the reception for C5 is fine.

Any ideas? I'm stumped.

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• espresso
    espresso Posts: 16,446 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    YBNB wrote:
    However, in the past few days, Channel 5 has stopped working altogether. All the other channels are working fine, and if I plug the aerial into the telly, old-stylie, the reception for C5 is fine.

So you are comparing CH5 analogue with CH5 digital then! CH5 may not even come from the same transmitter on analogue as the other terrestrial channels do. (it doesn't here)

Have you tried re-scanning? CH5 digital is transmitted on Mux A and you should be able to check the received signal strength somewhere in the set-up screens.

HTH
    :doh: Blue text on this forum usually signifies hyperlinks, so click on them!..:wall:
  • YBNB
    YBNB Posts: 166 Forumite
    espresso wrote:
    So you are comparing CH5 analogue with CH5 digital then! CH5 may not even come from the same transmitter on analogue as the other terrestrial channels do. (it doesn't here)

Have you tried re-scanning? CH5 digital is transmitted on Mux A and you should be able to check the received signal strength somewhere in the set-up screens.

HTH
    Thanks. I'll try this out tomorrow.

It was working to begin with though (on Freeview) which is why I'm very confused.
  • molerat
    molerat Posts: 31,818 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Have you got any of these other channels, the MUXA lineup.

TELE G, ABC 1, QVC, UKTV GOLD, BID TV, PRICE DROP TV, TCM, UKTV STYLE, DISCOVERY, UKTV FOOD, BRIT EUROSPORT, FIVE US, FIVE LIFE, TOPUP ANYTIME 1, TOPUP ANYTIME 2, TOPUP ANYTIME 3, DISCOVERY RT, CARTOON NET, TEACHERS TV, TELEVISION X, T TEXT HOLS, BBC R1, BBC R2, BBC R3, BBC R4, HEAT, MOJO.

If not then do a rescan and hopefully they will all come back ;) Sometimes the boxes mysteriously lose channels :confused:
  • YBNB
    I've got several of them, certainly BBC1, BBC2, ITV, QVC for starters....
  • tawnyowls
    tawnyowls Posts: 1,784 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    It does happen sometimes - sometimes the boxes (less so with the integrated TVs but still occasionally) decide randomly to rescan from the beginning and if you're unlucky enough to have that happen while a channel has shut down for the night (or day) or if the signal's bad that particular time, it just won't pick it up. Rescanning usually finds them again.
  • YBNB
    Many thanks to Tawny, Espresso and Mole. I re-scanned and Channel 5 is back!
  • My mother has a similar problem I think.

She has freeview and can get C5 but cannot get the new Five US or Five Life do we need to re-scan?. When she goes to Ch35 she gets Quiz Time.

I'm not techie so simple help please.
    Just call me 'eff'
    I registered when under the influence when everything seems funny. :o I had received many shocks and it was all I was seeming to say. I'm still trying to pluck up the courage to visit the DFW to explain.
    I am due a purple patch soon which will give me a flash of brilliance to come up with a stunning new name.
  • espresso
    espresso Posts: 16,446 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    effinell!! wrote:
    My mother has a similar problem I think.

She has freeview and can get C5 but cannot get the new Five US or Five Life do we need to re-scan?. When she goes to Ch35 she gets Quiz Time.

I'm not techie so simple help please.

It depends on the receiver, some will automatically scan on switch on but if the new channels are only on at certain times of the day, they may not be found and added to the menu. Re-scanning should find new channels if they are transmitting, so give it a go!
    :doh: Blue text on this forum usually signifies hyperlinks, so click on them!..:wall:
  • tawnyowls
    tawnyowls Posts: 1,784 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Most of them seem to transmit pre-6pm, so it's worth trying then rather than later.
  • espresso wrote:
    It depends on the receiver, some will automatically scan on switch on but if the new channels are only on at certain times of the day, they may not be found and added to the menu. Re-scanning should find new channels if they are transmitting, so give it a go!

My problem is the PERMANENT disappearance of Freeview Channels 82 and 83 (Sky News and Sky Sports News), although I get Sky 3. No amount of scanning brings them back. Other Channels show strong signal strength and surely Sky don't transmit the missing channels at a lower strength? Any other suggestions? Thanks:confused:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure