Help!! Ideas for rehoming a puppy

Comments

• xoxo wrote: »
    I can't have a big dog jumping around an 8month old baby crawling around his home and it's cruel to keep the dog shut outside all day or shut in a room on her own.

I have tried training her, in fact she's well trained apart from the jumping, but thats besides the point. I didn't take her on with a view to keeping her forever, I took her on short term as a favour for a friend who's circumstances changed too quickly for them to find a permanent home for her. Now that my 8 month old wants to explore his home and the friend I took her in for is not in a position to take her back then she has to go. I don't want to 'dump her on a charity', I want a permanent home to be found for her, which this was never going to be! Would you prefer I gave her away in the paper rather than "dump her on a charity" so she could end up with anybody?
    It wouldnt be any worse than your so called friend dumping it on you!
    What kind of dog owner was she that she just dumped her dog on an uncaring person like you?
    If it really was a short term favour you did, then give the dog back to your friend and let her sort it out, seeing as how its her dog really.

Or was it a case of you agreed to have the dog and have now changed your mind because you cant be bothered with it?

You proved you dont care one jot about the dog as you called the dog warden! Dog wardens put dogs to sleep!!

If you cant look after a dog for life, then dont get the dog in the first place.
    That poor dog!
  • xoxo_2
    xoxo_2 Posts: 889 Forumite
    Thank you hethmar i'll try them. I have looked in to getting her the op but i've been unable to get any help so far.
    puddy wrote: »
    why isnt the 'friend' doing all this?

Because as far as she's concerned she's done all she can by asking a few other friends to take her and can't be bothered any more and has left it to me to do it all :mad:
    :j
  • EmptyPockets
    EmptyPockets Posts: 1,905 Forumite
    edited 5 September 2010 at 9:26AM
    This is, as usual, a case of the poor animal suffering because people's circumstances change. I don't understand, from what you have said, why you have to get rid of her - surely there is a way you could make it work, unless of course you're really not interested in making it work..?

Have you thought about investing in a large dog crate for her? They are invaluable for times when you want to restrict your dog, like when your youngster is crawling around for instance... A crate, coupled with shelter and fresh water in the garden, plus a nice cosy bed and some toys in a quiet room of the house, all these options could be used to give you 'time out' when necessary... and would surely be a better solution than the poor dog finding herself in kennels somewhere?

Sorry if I sound harsh but I just don't understand people who are so quick to get rid when 'circumstances change'. No matter what happened, I would rather live in a tent and eat cold baked beans for life if it meant I could keep my animals and still care for them and be there for them.
    "Your life is what your thoughts make it"

"If you can't bite, don't show your teeth!"
    :cry: R.i.P our beautiful girl Suki. We'll love and miss you forever :cry:
  • MrsE_2
    MrsE_2 Posts: 24,162
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    edited 5 September 2010 at 9:35AM
    I don't think its helpful when people post about needing to "get rid" of a pet to
    A have a go at them for it or
    B try & persuade them to keep it.

1. People get animals without thinking & want rid, its better they get good advice (for the animals sake) than be scared to ask.
    2. If they don't want it, the animal is better off getting rehomed somewhere it is wanted.
  • elliesmemory1
    elliesmemory1 Posts: 1,274
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    edited 5 September 2010 at 9:34AM
    Would battersea put her down because she needs spaying? I thought all rescues spayed before rehoming anyway.

Have you looked on dog pages? that might help. Have you spoken to local vets. They may know someone who has recently lost a pet and wants another?
  • xoxo_2
    It wouldnt be any worse than your so called friend dumping it on you!
    What kind of dog owner was she that she just dumped her dog on an uncaring person like you?
    If it really was a short term favour you did, then give the dog back to your friend and let her sort it out, seeing as how its her dog really.

Or was it a case of you agreed to have the dog and have now changed your mind because you cant be bothered with it?

You proved you dont care one jot about the dog as you called the dog warden! Dog wardens put dogs to sleep!!

If you cant look after a dog for life, then dont get the dog in the first place.
    That poor dog!

I'd hardly say i'm uncaring. I've looked after the puppy for months. I took her in as it was that or my friend would have let her go. It was only ever intended as short term.

I've not changed my mind about anything, it was supposed to be for a few weeks, a few months later and it looks like my friends circumstances won't be changing again any time soon.

I didn't know the dog warden puts dogs to sleep, otherwise i'd not have called them. The reason I won't call Battersea is because she'll be put to sleep by them.

I do care for her, I won't see any harm come to her and will obviously keep her here until there's a suitable solution, I just can't keep her much longer because she's too boisterous around the children, especially the crawling baby.
  • xoxo wrote: »
    I'd hardly say i'm uncaring. I've looked after the puppy for months. I took her in as it was that or my friend would have let her go. It was only ever intended as short term.

I've not changed my mind about anything, it was supposed to be for a few weeks, a few months later and it looks like my friends circumstances won't be changing again any time soon.

I didn't know the dog warden puts dogs to sleep, otherwise i'd not have called them. The reason I won't call Battersea is because she'll be put to sleep by them.

I do care for her, I won't see any harm come to her and will obviously keep her here until there's a suitable solution, I just can't keep her much longer because she's too boisterous around the children, especially the crawling baby.
    Train her then and then she wont be boisterous.

Lets face it....it is a case of you cant be bothered and now want rid. :mad:
  • MrsE wrote: »
    I don't think its helpful when people post about needing to "get rid" of a pet to A have a go at them for it or B try & persuade them to keep it.

1. People get animals without thinking & want rid, its better they get good advice (for the animals sake) than be scared to ask.
    2. If they don't want it, the animal is better off getting rehomed somewhere it is wanted.

Well said. its not helping to have a go at the op who is trying to find another home. yes a dog should be for life and people should think much more before taking on animals but in this situation people should try to help the dog.
  • MrsE_2
    MrsE_2 Posts: 24,162
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    Well said. its not helping to have a go at the op who is trying to find another home. yes a dog should be for life and people should think much more before taking on animals but in this situation people should try to help the dog.

Exactly;).....
  • xoxo_2
    This is, as usual, a case of the poor animal suffering because people's circumstances change. I don't understand, from what you have said, why you have to get rid of her - surely there is a way you could make it work, unless of course you're really not interested in making it work..?

Have you thought about investing in a large dog crate for her? They are invaluable for times when you want to restrict your dog, like when your youngster is crawling around for instance... A crate, coupled with shelter and fresh water in the garden, plus a nice cosy bed and some toys in a quiet room of the house, all these options could be used to give you 'time out' when necessary... and would surely be a better solution than the poor dog finding herself in kennels somewhere?

Sorry if I sound harsh but I just don't understand people who are so quick to get rid when 'circumstances change'. No matter what happened, I would rather live in a tent and eat cold baked beans for life if it meant I could keep my animals and still care for them and be there for them.

I have to get rid of her because she knocks the 4 yr old off her feet if she jumps at her and she's too boisterous around the baby.

I have a crate for her, but she hates being in it.

I have tried everything to make this work as I don't want to have her end up in a rescue centre, but there are no other options left. I wouldn't dream of giving her away if there was a way to make this work but there isn't:(
    Would battersea put her done because she needs spaying? I thought all rescues spayed before rehoming anyway.

Have you looked on dog pages? that might help. Have you spoken to local vets. They may know someone who has recently lost a pet and wants another?

Yes I was told Battersea would put her down due to her needing an op:(

I've had a look on dog pages, and the vet couldn't help when I last tried but like you say someone may have recently lost a pet so I will try again. I would much prefer to find her a permanent home than hand her in to a rescue :(
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport