How do you get stains off a ceramic hob?

Can anyone please help? I have a brand new electric hob and there are cooking oil stains that I CANNOT shift!!! I've tried oven cleaner, brillo pads, wire wool scourers, baby oil, Hob Brite - you name if I've tried it! Any ideas please?????? Thanks!

Comments

• theloft
    theloft Posts: 1,703 Forumite
    edited 14 April 2010 at 12:04PM
    Can anyone please help? I have a brand new electric hob and there are cooking oil stains that I CANNOT shift!!! I've tried oven cleaner, brillo pads, wire wool scourers, baby oil, Hob Brite - you name if I've tried it! Any ideas please?????? Thanks!
    If Hob Brite won't shift it, the only other product I know of is Stain Devils Oil & Cooking Fat. Or how about your household insurance, if you have accidental damage cover ???
    "0844 COSTS YOU MORE"
  • theloft wrote: »
    If Hob Brite won't shift it, the only other product I know of is Stain Devils Oil & Cooking Fat. Or how about your household insurance, if you have accidental damage cover ???

Great! Will try the Stain Devils first ... and what a good idea about the insurance, I nevr would have thought of that! Thank you!
  • munkypuzzel
    munkypuzzel Posts: 104 Forumite
    With my ceramic hob came a 'scraper' which is just a stanly knife blade mounted in a hand tool. This removes the most stubborn burnt on stains. I now use a stanley knife blade as the orignial has blunted, just scrape at the appropriate angle..
  • jrrowleyws
    jrrowleyws Posts: 652 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Is home insurance really going to pay out for a "stain" on a hob???
  • Doozergirl
    Doozergirl Posts: 33,805 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    With my ceramic hob came a 'scraper' which is just a stanly knife blade mounted in a hand tool. This removes the most stubborn burnt on stains. I now use a stanley knife blade as the orignial has blunted, just scrape at the appropriate angle..

Great idea! :D I have one of those stubborn marks on my glass hob and that will be perfect!

You'll find those scrapers in any DIY store near the paintbrushes etc. as they sell them for you to scrape excess paint off window glass.
    Everything that is supposed to be in heaven is already here on earth.
  • Edinburghlass_2
    Edinburghlass_2 Posts: 32,680 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Make sure the base of your pans are super clean as it was from my pans that I got marks on my hob :(
  • theloft
    I have read that you can damage the surface with a metal scraper, and it advised using a sharp plastic one!!
    "0844 COSTS YOU MORE"
  • theloft
    jrrowleyws wrote: »
    Is home insurance really going to pay out for a "stain" on a hob???
    Maybe not, but if you have accidental damage cover, why not give it a try ?
    "0844 COSTS YOU MORE"
  • Thanks everyone! I'm going to try a scraper and the Stain Devils.... yes, it was oil on the base of my chip pan that caused the stain in the first place grrrrrrr !
  • theloft wrote: »
    Maybe not, but if you have accidental damage cover, why not give it a try ?

... and push all our premiums up :mad:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport