PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Not 'Bake Stable'?

Hi all,

Have just made a batch of cupcakes to cheer myself up. Thought I'd put a bit of pink food colouring in to make them pretty...after they had been in the oven and were out cooling I noticed the colouring says it is 'not bake stable'. Does anyone know what this means? Can I eat my cupcakes?!

TIA

Benchyboo

Comments

• Penelope_Penguin
    Penelope_Penguin Posts: 17,288
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    Forumite
    benchyboo wrote: »
    I noticed the colouring says it is 'not bake stable'. Does anyone know what this means? Can I eat my cupcakes?

It means that the food colouring compound may break down when heated. I'm sure that they'll be fine to eat, as the colouring wouldn;t be able to be sold if they weren't.

Are they still pink, or has the colour changed?
    :rudolf: Sheep, pigs, hens and bees on our Teesdale smallholding :rudolf:
  • Wee_Jo
    Wee_Jo Posts: 821 Forumite
    benchyboo wrote: »
    Hi all,

Have just made a batch of cupcakes to cheer myself up. Thought I'd put a bit of pink food colouring in to make them pretty...after they had been in the oven and were out cooling I noticed the colouring says it is 'not bake stable'. Does anyone know what this means? Can I eat my cupcakes?!

TIA

Benchyboo

I would probably do a taste test.....:)

In fact - if you want me to do a taste test for you I am happy to.....just don't expect many cupcakes back :rotfl:

I think they will be fine, Benchyboo.
    LBM 04/05/10 :T DEBT FREE 30/07/10 :j I made it!
    CHALLENGES: 0 bought lunches June or July :)
    Aug SoL: 15/21 June NSDs: 11/14 July NSDs 12/11 :j Aug NSDs: 5/12 Savings target: £500/5000
  • benchyboo
    benchyboo Posts: 54 Forumite
    Thank you Jo and Penelope Penguin, the cupcakes were still delicious, despite being normal colour underneath and pink-ish on top.

Thanks again!
  • Hannah_10
    Hannah_10 Posts: 1,774 Forumite
    It means (rather daftly) that it might not be the same colour or texture after you've baked it as it is before you've baked it.

It's safe to eat.

*Sigh* who are these people that write labels like that, why bother, can there honestly be anyone on Earth who expects the colour of a cake to always be the exact match to the colour of the mix? That's nearly as good as my all time favourite... On a cigarette lighter a label waring that it was both flammable and not a suitable toy for children... Noooo Really?
    I refuse to be afraid of the big bad wolf, spiders, or debt collection agencies; one of them's not real and the other two are powerless without my fear.
    (Ok, one of them is powerless, spiders can be nasty.)

As of the last count I have cleared
    [STRIKE]23.16%[/STRIKE] 22.49% of my debt. :(
  • wssla00
    wssla00 Posts: 1,875 Forumite
    LOL My favourite warning was on an iron "Warning....do not iron clothes whilst on the body" hope you enjoy your cupcakes!
    Feb GC: £200 Spent: £190.79
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport