GB Energy Price Hike

dollydiva
dollydiva Posts: 302 Forumite
Received an email from GB Energy announcing they were raising their variable rate tariff by 7%

Never really been happy with this bunch of amateurs since I discovered they want meter readings every month AND unless you give them on the last day of the month, you get an estimated bill.

The increase takes place on 21 August - oh but you can avoid it by signing up ANOTHER 12 months onto their fixed 12 Crystal Tariff. In other words, we're holding you to ransom unless you sign up again.

I really, really, shouldn't bother with any Energy supplier recommended by mse Energy Club. 3rd time in a row now that it's turned out to be a con - they sell it to you saying its' the 'best' low tariff and then sucker you in; then the price increases start and the Energy Club has the damn cheek to email you to tell you that you're not getting the best tariff. Evidently, irony is lost on the Energy Club.:mad:

Comments

• System
    System Posts: 178,093 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    edited 15 July 2016 at 9:22AM
    dollydiva wrote: »
    Received an email from GB Energy announcing they were raising their variable rate tariff by 7%

Never really been happy with this bunch of amateurs since I discovered they want meter readings every month AND unless you give them on the last day of the month, you get an estimated bill.

The increase takes place on 21 August - oh but you can avoid it by signing up ANOTHER 12 months onto their fixed 12 Crystal Tariff. In other words, we're holding you to ransom unless you sign up again.

I really, really, shouldn't bother with any Energy supplier recommended by mse Energy Club. 3rd time in a row now that it's turned out to be a con - they sell it to you saying its' the 'best' low tariff and then sucker you in; then the price increases start and the Energy Club has the damn cheek to email you to tell you that you're not getting the best tariff. Evidently, irony is lost on the Energy Club.:mad:

Complete rubbish. GBEnergy's prices are the lowest on the market for electricity in my area. Prices are increasing because the cost of oil is rising in the World market, and we pay for oil in $s. Standard variable tariffs are just that - variable. GBEnergy has met its licence obligation by informing you of the increase and given you a choice - stay or switch. There is no ransom: you are just annoyed that electricity prices are on the rise. Sadly, this is now a fact of life.

As far as bills are concerned, as reported many times on this forum, if you provide GBEnergy with an actual meter for the day of the month when you transferred supply, then your bill will be based on actual meter readings. My billing date is the 10th, I got my bill based on actual meter readings yesterday.

As far as MSE CEC or any other comparison site is concerned, they can only report tariffs that exist on the day that you compare. They have no insider information as to when suppliers will change their prices. Like many, I took the opportunity to fix my electricity supply tariff with GB when the limited time offer Topaz12 was on the market.

Edit:

I have just checked. On a spend of £350 per year, GBEnergy would cost me £6 per year more on the Premium Energy Saver (variable) tariff and £12 more a year on its lowest 12 months fixed tariff. It is still the cheapest electricity supplier on the market in my area and for my consumption.
  • Hasbeen
    Hasbeen Posts: 4,404 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    dollydiva wrote: »

Received same letter. Checked and GB still best rate for me with crystal fixed and it has no exit fees, so not held to ransom?
    The world is not ruined by the wickedness of the wicked, but by the weakness of the good. Napoleon
  • lstar337
    lstar337 Posts: 3,441 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Why are any of you on a Variable tariff?

Fixes have been either the same or lower than variables for over a year.
  • cifpower
    cifpower Posts: 6,502 Forumite
    How is anyone being "held to ransom"? What does the ransom note say? Stay with us or.... leave for free? Some ransom
  • System
    lstar337 wrote: »
    Why are any of you on a Variable tariff?

Fixes have been either the same or lower than variables for over a year.

Not with GBEnergy. Premium Energy Saver (variable) has been their cheapest tariff for as long as I can remember. When energy prices were falling, it made sense to be on it. Topaz 12 was a warning of things to come. It allowed customers to fix at a price similar to Premium Saver with no exit fees.
  • Hi dollydiva,

As Hengus says, if a tariff comes out on top when you run a comparison, it's because it's the cheapest tariff at the time for your region and usage. We don't really recommend a particular supplier or tariff to our users, we just offer you a full market comparison so that you're able to see what you could switch to.

We do warn that a variable rate means the unit price per kWh of energy used is not fixed, and can change at any time, for example when a supplier announces price hikes.
  • Hoof_Hearted
    Hoof_Hearted Posts: 2,361 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Just changed to GB Energy fixed rate. It's the cheapest for me and £90 cheaper than my current decent tariff. I haven't been on a variable rate for years and I'm surprised any MSE fan would be.
    Je suis sabot...
  • Hasbeen
    Hasbeen Posts: 4,404 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Just changed to GB Energy fixed rate. It's the cheapest for me and £90 cheaper than my current decent tariff. I haven't been on a variable rate for years and I'm surprised any MSE fan would be.

See post 6. GB variable was cheaper to me than any fixed rate and fixed rates usually have exit fees to pay.
    The world is not ruined by the wickedness of the wicked, but by the weakness of the good. Napoleon
  • System
    Hasbeen wrote: »
    See post 6. GB variable was cheaper to me than any fixed rate and fixed rates usually have exit fees to pay.

GBEnergy, to my knowledge, has never charged exit fees. I am currently on Topaz12, taken out in May, with no exit fees.

Electricity
    Tariff Name . . . . . . . . . . . . . Fixed 12 Topaz
    Product Type . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Fixed Rate
    Payment Method . . . . . Monthly Direct Debit
    Unit Rate . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 9.3800p/kWh
    Standing Charge . 15.00p/day (£54.75/year)
    Tariff End Date . . . . . . . . . . . . . 25 May 2017
    Price Guaranteed Until . . . . . . 25 May 2017
    Early Exit Fee . . . . . £0.00 per fuel (inc VAT)
    Estimated Annual Usage . . . . . . . . 2519kWh
  • backfoot
    backfoot Posts: 2,700 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker

Depends on whether that fixed rate contains exit fees and at what level.During the last year I have avoided all tariffs containing exit fees and switched to GB's variable tariff for electricity earlier in the year.When prices were falling staying flexible was key. Prices may now start to creep back up now that oil prices have risen.

When GB Energy introduced a cheaper 12 month fix without exit fees I switched to that last month.

Any fixed term tariff, without an exit fee is effectively a variable tariff in a falling price market as far as I am concerned.

We have been in a peculiar period of prices where fixed term prices have matched or bettered some variable tariffs. As we go forward and if prices start to climb, then you would expect fixed terms to be at a premium price. The decision then becomes dependant on the differential. When fixed terms started many years ago, that premium price was too large to be economic, yet many customers were fooled into taking them.:(
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure